Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 08:12 PM

367 posts, read 487,929 times

Advertisements

To the people that lived close to park, what were the pros and cons?

Would you do it all over again?

I am talking about a park in a nice suburb, not a gang infested neighborhood were gang bangers will be hanging out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 09:40 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,906 times
Loved it. Would absolutely do it again... Especially if I had kids. And this was an urban park, in a residential area.

But I'm mostly replying because I am amused by your screen name.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:55 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,084,314 times
I love living near a park. It's great for the kids, walking the dog, or just taking a stroll after work. I don't think there would be cons at all for living by a park and most people would agree.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:21 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
I haven't done it personally, but I think it would be pretty great if you had kids.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:15 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Mostly a BIG PLUS.

Potential downsides: (and these are mostly OVER BLOWN, but you might hear them...)

If there is also a HIGH SCHOOL in / near that park sometimes that means band practice or other noisy activities.

If the park has significantly large PLAYING FIELDS that might mean PARKING can be an issue during games / events.

In some towns portions of park are designed to accommodate STORM WATER DETENTION, the degree to which this increases exposure to mosquitos can be minimized by aerators / fountains that tend to discourage mosquito reproduction.

Certain more "naturally landscaped" parks tend to attract actual woodland creatures -- ducks, geese, possums, coyotes, deer, skunks, raccoons are generally interesting but some residents have an aversion to such "wild life"...

Finally if you hate neighbors walking past your home (and it is sort of odd just how many people express this only AFTER they've been caught picking their newspaper off their drive in bed clothes...) you probably will hate living across from a park!

Old 05-14-2015, 09:19 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If the park has significantly large PLAYING FIELDS that might mean PARKING can be an issue during games / events.
This is the one significant issue I thought of... Would only be a problem for certain types of parks, and could be annoying if a busy parking lot were across from your driveway. Also, if the park hosts any sort of large events like music performances...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Certain more "naturally landscaped" parks tend to attract actual woodland creatures -- ducks, geese, possums, coyotes, deer, skunks, raccoons are generally interesting but some residents have an aversion to such "wild life"...
This too... If the park is wooded or larger you may have coyotes that could be a threat to family pets. Though this can happen anywhere, as coyotes have no problem walking in backyards and between houses.

All in all, I'd call living across from a park a positive in most cases, unless you really value your privacy.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:03 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,084,314 times
[quote=chet everett;39611516]Mostly a BIG PLUS.

Potential downsides: (and these are mostly OVER BLOWN, but you might hear them...)

If there is also a HIGH SCHOOL in / near that park sometimes that means band practice or other noisy activities.

If the park is at a school, another downside can be increased traffic. The plus side though would be that you don't have to drive in that school traffic and your kid could just walk to school.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:51 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
Its mostly a plus. Except as said above if there is a high school nearby the park such as where I live where you have Atten park backing up to WW south high school. Then there may be noise from football games and bright lights for night games and traffic. Fortunately the park acts as a buffer.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:43 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,680 times
I would consider that a huge plus, with some of the caveats mentioned. I would have to consider a lot of factors, such as:
location (busy intersection? next to a school/near a school?)
type (small park likely to be frequented by neighborhood kids? larger park that is also a major venue for activities such as concerts or festivals?)

I have lived near a park that had quite a bit of "night" traffic of the teenage drinking kind (and this was a nice neighborhood- not "gang-infested") and near parks that are wonderful, kid-friendly, and smaller. If I were considering another house that was near a park, I would visit at random times of day/ week to see who tends to hang out there and the volume of noise. If the park were larger and the venue for major activities, I would rather not be across the street from it, but would love to be close enough to avoid the traffic if I wanted to attend, but not get the brunt of the noise/direct traffic. Another thing to consider- popular parks with not enough parking means lots of parking on your street in front of your house, maybe even blocking your driveway to some extent (had that experience before).

So my short answer to your question is "it depends"

Old 05-15-2015, 09:24 PM

817 posts, read 922,386 times
Parks which host soccer fields can be noisy from 8AM to 5PM on Saturdays if it is rec league and also on Sunday if it is travel league. I am a soccer referee and I could be at one field and hear crowd noise from another park a few blocks away. If it is soccer or football, you will also have to put up with whistles. At least soccer is only one whistle per field. Football can be multiple whistles to blow a play dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs