Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 04:51 PM

6 posts, read 23,129 times

Advertisements

So, through many meanderings on these forums before I even joined, I have read some info about Park Forest here and there, but for a south Chicago burb, there really doesn't seem to be all that much info on it.

I am considering moving there because you can get alot of house for the money right now. I'm not afaid of black people and understand that Park Forest seems to be one of the few towns that actually seems to embrace the idea of cultural diversity even though the town is experiencing quite a bit of "white flight" since the black population there has risen. There has also been many town improvements and a plan for development in the future. They have many art programs and studios and seem to really go for the bohemian lifestyle int terms of art, music and dance offernings. Seems like a diamond in the rough with a very important history to the Chicago area.

SOooooooooo, I don't really care if I live near blacks or hispanics. People are people. As long as you're cool, I'm cool. Black, white, green, as long as we are all just trying to raise a family in a house with some space we can AFFORD. I can't afford to buy in Chicago and I need more space than a two bedroom condo. I'd like a yard and a garage I don't have to pay extra for.

No one is really saying anything BAD about Park Forest and it hasn't been lumped in with all the other supposed "bad" cities like Markham, Chicago Heights and such. Does anyone out there have any info about it? Is it nice enough? I'm not rich and don't expect golf courses and white picket fences. Is it safe enough? I don't expect gated communities and no crime whatsoever, but how is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 04:57 PM

137 posts, read 202,528 times
Have you considered Olympia Fields?

Old 01-18-2008, 06:17 PM

No. And....

Old 01-18-2008, 06:18 PM

151 posts, read 413,910 times
I grew up there. Park Forest was once great, and was quite livable as recent as a few years ago, but like most of the other towns between the Indiana state line and I-57 has gone downhill in the 00's. The schools are subpar, the housing stock is aging 50's-70's cookie cutter suburbia aside from a few new houses near the downtown, which is what pretty much consists the entirety of the "town improvements". Downtown is pretty much vacant aside from the village hall, the new fire station and a few mom-and-pop businesses here and there.

Basically anyone who can afford it, regardless of color, has fled for greener pastures. What you're left with today in Park Forest are basically those too old/stubborn to leave (like my folks) and low-income people displaced ever further from Chicago by gentrification and demolition of the projects. Crime is up, although I still wouldn't call it a ghetto by any means. Property taxes are high. Also, if you work almost anywhere besides downtown Chicago (PF does have easy access to multiple Metra stations), commutes are a grind. IMO, the town's reputation for being "historic" and "bohemian" is overrated.

Now that I've painted a negative picture, let me say that PF has held up well compared to many of the neighboring "bad" south suburbs. People were calling it "Dark Forest" and forecasting gloom and doom even around when I was born in 1980, yet many dug in their heels and today it's still not that bad. There has been white flight, the next census will be interesting to see how much of a black majority Park Forest now has. But it's been more gradual and smooth than in, say, neighboring Richton Park, which went from majority white to majority black virtually overnight in the 90's. You can definitely get your garage and yard there for not a hell of a lot of money (Olympia Fields, OTOH, is quite upscale and expensive), and you and yours should be safe provided you avoid the "Eastgate" subdivision (east of Western Ave., north of 26th St.). But I can't say that the decline of Park Forest will stop anytime soon, as long as jobs stay far north and west, as long as taxes stay high, as long as new housing keeps springing up in Will County and Northwest Indiana, and as long as Chicago keeps pushing low-income people into the suburbs.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:19 PM

15 posts, read 93,093 times
Park Forest, just like any place else has it good/bad areas. I have relatives who have lived there all of their lives, and never had any major problems. You can look on all the real estate sites, and check the crime stats and such.

I don't know if you have children, however you can check out the school districts and their report cards.

Good luck on your search.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:05 PM

Is there anywhere to live within an hour of the city in the $150's? Park forest is still an option and I think it's interesting that just because a town gets more black that it is always seen as a negative thing. Because, you know...all blacks are thugs and they are too stupid and primitive to keep their town nice? Sounds like a bunch of ignorant thinking. "There goes the neighborhood" attitude.
Sounds to me like PF is trying despite what has happened to it in recent years with the closing of their mall. Their town goverment seems like they are trying to come up with ideas to make things better but with a "why bother" attitude nothing is ever going change. They have hope and that's a powerful thing.
Where else are people supposed to live when Chicago wants half a million for a basic 3 bedroom house? I'd even consider Indiana or Wisconsin.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:01 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savagemutha View Post
So, through many meanderings on these forums before I even joined, I have read some info about Park Forest here and there, but for a south Chicago burb, there really doesn't seem to be all that much info on it.

I am considering moving there because you can get alot of house for the money right now. I'm not afaid of black people and understand that Park Forest seems to be one of the few towns that actually seems to embrace the idea of cultural diversity even though the town is experiencing quite a bit of "white flight" since the black population there has risen. There has also been many town improvements and a plan for development in the future. They have many art programs and studios and seem to really go for the bohemian lifestyle int terms of art, music and dance offernings. Seems like a diamond in the rough with a very important history to the Chicago area.

SOooooooooo, I don't really care if I live near blacks or hispanics. People are people. As long as you're cool, I'm cool. Black, white, green, as long as we are all just trying to raise a family in a house with some space we can AFFORD. I can't afford to buy in Chicago and I need more space than a two bedroom condo. I'd like a yard and a garage I don't have to pay extra for.

No one is really saying anything BAD about Park Forest and it hasn't been lumped in with all the other supposed "bad" cities like Markham, Chicago Heights and such. Does anyone out there have any info about it? Is it nice enough? I'm not rich and don't expect golf courses and white picket fences. Is it safe enough? I don't expect gated communities and no crime whatsoever, but how is it?
If you're not afraid of the south 'burbs and diversity I'd recommend looking into Blue Island. Homes are affordable (under 200K), you're near Metra an 25 minutes from the Loop, and there's lots of decent hardworking folks. You've got a nice historic residential area, a downtown area (called uptown locally) and intermittent community progress. I'm very pleased with the public schools thusfar. And its been racially mixed for quite a while - so its not like an overnight white flight situation. (though about three years back, We did experience a wave of departures for Tinely and Mokena, pre-mortgage crisis)

Old 01-22-2008, 08:26 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savagemutha View Post
Is there anywhere to live within an hour of the city in the $150's? Park forest is still an option and I think it's interesting that just because a town gets more black that it is always seen as a negative thing. Because, you know...all blacks are thugs and they are too stupid and primitive to keep their town nice? Sounds like a bunch of ignorant thinking. "There goes the neighborhood" attitude.
Sounds to me like PF is trying despite what has happened to it in recent years with the closing of their mall. Their town goverment seems like they are trying to come up with ideas to make things better but with a "why bother" attitude nothing is ever going change. They have hope and that's a powerful thing.
Where else are people supposed to live when Chicago wants half a million for a basic 3 bedroom house? I'd even consider Indiana or Wisconsin.
Its not ignorant thinking, it is just a way of life in the Chicago Metro area that the areas that are primarily black in Chicago do have higher than average crime. Don't ask me why, but it is just a way of life here and is what causes the white flight to take place. The whites see the start of the black populos moving into their neighborhood and then up goes the "for sale signs" property values begin to decline and before you know it, you are the only white family left on your block and sorry... but that is not a diverse community. Anyways, such is life in Chicago, probably the reason for this being the "most segregated city" in the world. Believe me it took me some getting used to hearing, "oh don't go there... thats all black there" coming from Brooklyn I was like, "Huh? All black? No white people or mexicans?" And would hear, "oh no, the mexicans live in Blue Island..." I thought "WTF??? Why is this area so segregated? The mexicans even have their own little town too?"

Anyways, I don't want to get into a sociological debate on here, so I would say to look in Midlothian and Posen given your price range. Both towns are probably the most "mixed" you are going to see in the Chicago area in your price range without having the white neighbors up and absconding in the middle on the night on you so to say. The residents of both Midlothian and Posen have stood their ground and have a strong police force in place enforcing laws and arresting scufflaws therefore, forcing the bad apples to go somewhere else leaving you with a safe, vibrant, and busy community. Here are some home listings. Real Estate at Homes.Com for MIDLOTHIAN, IL & Real Estate at Homes.Com for POSEN, IL

Village of Midlothian

Last edited by NYrules; 01-22-2008 at 08:52 AM..

Old 01-22-2008, 12:38 PM

51 posts, read 135,808 times
I live in PF and it will be a year there in April of this year. I'm a mom of two and haven't had any problems.. our block is very neighbor friendly where we tend to look out for each other. I think its just like any other burb there are good and bad areas.. good luck with your search.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:04 PM

4 posts, read 19,024 times
Default The South Burbs are not as bad as people say...

savagemutha,

I moved to Matteson from the South Side when I was 12. We moved in November, and that summer, every other house in Matteson was for sale. I was 12 so I really didn't know any better, but that was white flight at its finest. Today the neighborhood is just as nice as it ever was.

I must be honest about the school situation however, and say that the schools have seen better days. I graduated from Rich South High School in 1992. We were an award winning "School of Excellence" at the time. Upon my graduation the school was very diverse, approx. 40% white, 35% black, 25% Hispanic and Asian.

I enjoyed the diversity of my school, and really wish that I could find the same thing for my own children. Unfortunately today, that does not seem to exist anymore in the Chicagoland area. My wife and I are struggling with our moving decision as we speak, since I live in Matteson now, but intend to move close to my job (I work in Carol Stream).

To answer your question though, I would actually still recommend Matteson. In terms of schools you may want to consider private schools. Homewood is also good, and not as expensive as Flossmoor. Homewood-Flossmoor High School is still very good.

I have been reading a lot of the posts on this board, and a lot of people will recommend Orland, Tinley Park, or Frankfurt. Those are nice areas also, a little more expensive, and not very diverse at all. The simple reality of it all is that in the Chicago Area you have two types of people...Those who do not like being around people of color (these people can be white or people of color themselves), and the rest of us. You don't come off as someone totally new to the Chicago area so you are probably already well aware of this.

The advice you get on this board will vary wildly depending on which type of person is supplying their opinion. When it comes to schools though, I am really only concerned about how well my children will be prepared for college and beyond. I would rather they not be the only people of color in the class, and while they will likely not get to have the experience that I did, I still think they should be ok.

Sorry for ranting a little, but what I am trying to say is find a home that you like in an area that you are comfortable in and make it work. Beyond the basics, everybody elses opinion is really not important. Good luck in your search.

P.S.

Park Forest is also not what it used to be as others have already mentioned. It seems that PF has not held up as well as Matteson, Richton Park, etc... Also, the houses tend to be much older and there is not much new development. Check the Butterfield/Butterfield II subdivisions in Matteson for newer homes...There are also newer homes in and next to Woodgate.

Last edited by marshall7927; 01-22-2008 at 02:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs