Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 03:14 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienbaker View Post
Yes, they are as boring as they look.

Source: I grew up there.
The suburbs are considered good places to raise children. Until they are teenagers and complain how boring they are. They even call their hometown such names as "borington" or "Dead plains."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 02:16 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
The suburbs are considered good places to raise children. Until they are teenagers and complain how boring they are. They even call their hometown such names as "borington" or "Dead plains."
My favorite is Hoffman's Mistake.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:38 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Regardless of its slow change over the years, Skokie is still very much a Jewish village with a Jewish population, Jewish leaders, Jewish schools, and Jewish temples.
It is? All the Jewish people I know move out to Northbrook or Glencoe or the like. Parts of Skokie/Morton Grove area look like Little Korea or something.

Skokie was the Jewish suburb 40 years ago, but seems very Asian/Black/Hispanic these days. I doubt they get too many Jews. Maybe they're getting Orthodox Jews from W. Rogers Park, since that community is kind of moving northward out of the city?

Old 05-04-2015, 03:15 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,868 times
Skokie's lack of excitement is made up by the fact that it really is not that far from the city. It's an extremely diverse relatively affordable inner-ring suburb where it's not unusual to see a lineup of Benzes or Lexuses parked in front of a humble looking ranch house. Kind of like something you'd see in Queens, NY. People that want to expand in square footage usually look west to places like Niles or Des Plaines. And those that hit it big in terms of $$$ usually head northwest to Glenview & Northbrook. Morton Grove is like Skokie's twin brother with a little bit less of an identity. Evanston is its cultured, expensive older brother to the east.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:08 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,083,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
It is? All the Jewish people I know move out to Northbrook or Glencoe or the like. Parts of Skokie/Morton Grove area look like Little Korea or something.

Skokie was the Jewish suburb 40 years ago, but seems very Asian/Black/Hispanic these days. I doubt they get too many Jews. Maybe they're getting Orthodox Jews from W. Rogers Park, since that community is kind of moving northward out of the city?
I actually know quite a few of Jewish people that live in Skokie. I agree it's not a Jewish suburb anymore, but there's still a portion of Jewish people there.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:14 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,083,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Hoodridge is a funny one too

Old 05-04-2015, 07:37 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
There are still Jewish people in Skokie because of the community resources there, but it is not as large a community as it used to be.

About Us - Lubavitch Chabad of Skokie

Lubavitch Chabad of Skokie • 4059 Dempster Street • Skokie, IL 60076 • 847-677-1770

Old 05-04-2015, 09:41 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Rolling Ghettos. Schaumpton. Hangover Park. Crystal (Meth) Bake... Apparently there's something about the NW suburbs and nicknames.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:48 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Rolling Ghettos. Schaumpton. Hangover Park. Crystal (Meth) Bake... Apparently there's something about the NW suburbs and nicknames.
Lol, Skokie has been referred to as Skompton before. Another good one is Skevanston.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:31 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
This is arguable linicx. True, the Jewish institutions are still present in Skokie, but you have to remember that a lot of the population comes in from other northern suburbs now. Places like Highland Park, Glencoe, Northbrook & Buffalo Grove may have a high percentage of Jewish people than Skokie now. But the center of Orthodox Judaism in Chicagoland is still the West Rogers Park neighborhood in Chicago (which is a short drive from Skokie).
Where once Skokie had endless numbers of Jewish families, today the Jewish population is much more "boutique" in nature: certainly the very orthodox area around Dempster and Crawford, where families are highly unlikely to send their kids to ETHS or Evanston elementary schools. And equally, Skokie is still home to many, many older Jewish residences, filling condos in many parts of town.

I could be wrong about this, but in terms of what one sees as a more "traditional" Jewish neighborhood of nuclear family homes, more than any other place, Devonshire comes to mind.

So much mention of Evanston here and understandably so. Evanston has always had a major influence on Skokie. And there is little doubt that downtown Evanston is the model for what downtown Skokie is trying to make of itself. true, Skokie knows it doesn't have a ghost of a chance of its downtown being a model of DT Evanston, but it is definitely pushing elements into place based on Evanston's experiences: condos abound in the Oakton/Skokie Blvd area an Skokie finally has a downtown transit link (CTA yellow's Oakton stop), a pretty big deal for a place that had none before it (and still lacks a Metra connection)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs