Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 09:23 PM

5 posts, read 5,728 times

Advertisements

I'm starting a job this August in Glen Ellyn, and will be looking for a home for a family of 3. I'm not familiar with the area, and will likely find an apartment at first and then look to buy after we get a sense of the area.

We'll be looking for a 3+ bedroom home, $250-300K, in a neighborhood where I can walk to the store if I need something (i.e., not buried out in suburban sprawl). Also important are a good high school, low crime, a sense of place identity (like a decent downtown with shops and restaurants, and not just a shopping mall), and a welcoming environment for those outside the mainstream. It would be nice to keep commuting distance as short as possible, but if the place is great a longer commute could be worth it.

Any tips people could offer a newcomer would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 09:41 PM

720 posts, read 1,084,530 times
Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, Batavia

Old 04-22-2015, 12:09 AM

thank you.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:19 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,084,314 times
Also look at Naperville and Downers Grove

Old 04-22-2015, 07:24 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Wow, not a lot of people WORK in Glen Ellyn, with the exception of the College of DuPage...

The towns people are recommending above will work well, but the challenge, particularly in Glen Ellyn, Downers Grove, and Naperville, will be getting a house in with a "walk to town" location. Most of the houses in Glen Ellyn near the downtown area are probably in the $400,000-$1,000,000 range, and even the $400,000 houses aren't great.

You might be able to find something near downtown Wheaton, though, and Batavia is probably the most affordable of the group being further west without a train stop (though it's still a nice town).

Old 04-22-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoillinois View Post
...and a welcoming environment for those outside the mainstream.
How far outside the mainstream? I have friends in Glen Ellyn who are involved in the organic/no-GMO movement or who are vegans, and I have friends who are a bit artsy or who are in creative fields. But we are talking about the suburbs here, and this is not the SF Bay Area.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Wow, not a lot of people WORK in Glen Ellyn, with the exception of the College of DuPage...

The towns people are recommending above will work well, but the challenge, particularly in Glen Ellyn, Downers Grove, and Naperville, will be getting a house in with a "walk to town" location. Most of the houses in Glen Ellyn near the downtown area are probably in the $400,000-$1,000,000 range, and even the $400,000 houses aren't great.

You might be able to find something near downtown Wheaton, though, and Batavia is probably the most affordable of the group being further west without a train stop (though it's still a nice town).
There are people in Batavia that are looking to invest in a food co-op, which I think might suit the OP's interests. Berkeley's Finer Foods is situated just off of downtown Batavia, and there is also a movement in the works to bring a smaller "niche" grocery store to the downtown area as well. I think with your budget Batavia's east side close to the downtown area might suit you well. But Wheaton is just as viable an option, and since it is a larger city and county seat, it does offer an expanded array of amenities.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:31 AM

thank you to everyone for the helpful replies. much appreciated.

i've heard Wheaton described as quite conservative in terms of politics and religion. i mean no disrespect in sharing this, and i have no idea how accurate it is. i imagine the town is more diverse than what the rumors or stereotypes reflect, but compared to other towns in the area, is it more conservative?

Old 04-23-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
i imagine the town is more diverse than what the rumors or stereotypes reflect,...
Yes.

Quote:
...but compared to other towns in the area, is it more conservative?
Also yes.

As a somewhat liberal guy who lived in "liberal bubble" communities for 20 years prior to moving out here, I checked the 2012 election results for each precinct in Glen Ellyn. I found that the community definitely tilts a little bit Republican, but that it was about 55%/45%, or just a little under the 50/50 mix according to people who voted for Romeny over Obama (which I thought could be a good barometer, since most true Republicans DETESTED Obama by the time of the 2012 election). I decided I could live with that mix.

Wheaton seems to me to be a bit more Republican-leaning in elections, but not overwhelmingly so. There are certainly liberals who live there too. It has a reputation for being "churchy", and it's hard for me to gauge this since all of the suburbs seem "churchy" compared to where I have been living previously. But I certainly know a decent number of atheist/agnostic/nones.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:28 AM

I feel like Glen Ellyn or Batavia would be similar politically, with Batavia being a little more liberal. I would say Wheaton would be the most conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs