Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 03:28 PM

30 posts, read 129,757 times

Advertisements

Thinking of buying a house in Oak Park. Family with small children. Not planning on public schools, but are there any areas we should stay away from? The violent crime index seems kind of high. If this isn't a good area, any recommendations? I really like the old houses. My husband is from Chicago and I am a Florida native. I think I am going to freeze! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 07:17 PM

216 posts, read 723,922 times
I would search "Oak Park" there is so much on that town you will be reading for hours! It has a lot of great aspects, but has had some problems. The area of Oak Park that I am most familiar with is the Northwest side and that is beautiful. Why do you shy from public schools? They are different here, not county wide and many are very good. Just wondering.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:39 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Generally crime in Oak Park is a function of proximity to Austin Blvd (the eastern border of Oak Park). The municipal website (Welcome to the Village of Oak Park) shows crime maps representing locations of reported crime for the past few months. Property taxes in Oak Park are extremely high, the majority of which goes toward supporting the well-regarded school system. If you are not going to enroll your kids in the public schools, it might make more sense financially to live elsewhere, perhaps the adjacent towns of Forest Park or Berwyn.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:55 PM

137 posts, read 202,582 times
Oak Park is a very nice suburb of Chicago. It is around 10 minutes by car from Downtown Chicago. Oak Park is the closest suburb to the Chicago Loop. In fact it is closer than many of the Chicago neighborhoods. I am guessing that because you are from Florida you might enjoy our lakefront. A good alternative to Oak Park would be Evanston. Evanston is a northern suburb in the affluent North Shore region. Evanston will give you a more suburban feel but will still be as vibrant as Oak Park. Evanston has a magnificent lakefront that includes: Northwestern University, Lakefront Parks, Evanston Art Center/Lighthouse, Dog Beach, Beaches, and wonderful large lakefront mansions in the Northeast and Southeast sections. Evanston has a lot of old house some between 1860 and 1890, but most being built between 1890 and 1920. Evanston has lower crime than Oak Park, but as with all of the cities that boarder Chicago it is slightly elevated compared to the other suburbs, and it is nothing to worry about, whether you live in Oak Park or Evanston. Also I do not know if you like mediterranean architecture, but there are quite a few of these in Evanston. I would definitely recommend public schools. Many of the Elementary Schools, Middle Schools, and High School are highly rated. Willard is a fantastic elementary school that serves Evanston's Upscale Northwest Section. Haven and Nichols Middle Schools are also very nice. If in the end you decide against public schools, North Shore Country Day School in Winnetka, Lake Forest Country Day School in Lake Forest, and Roycemore School in Evanston, are all good options. Most children who attend the private schools go on to attend their public high school. North Shore Country Day and Roycemore do provide a high school option. It is really not that cold here in Chicago. I have to admit, I grew up in suburban Cleveland, and lived in the Bay Area. Many times the lakefront suburbs stay warmer. I do not know your price range but Oak Park will demand $$, but Evanston will demand more $$$$.

Good Luck

Old 01-16-2008, 09:29 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Don't live East of Ridgeland or along Roosevelt. East of Ridgeland gets dicey and around Roosevelt is more like north Berwyn.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:55 PM

38 posts, read 128,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Don't live East of Ridgeland or along Roosevelt. East of Ridgeland gets dicey and around Roosevelt is more like north Berwyn.
Can you explain what you mean by dicey? Do you know anything about Behr park and that area around Irving school?

Old 01-17-2008, 07:23 AM

220 posts, read 744,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I hate to rehash an oft repeated argument, but...c'mon....quit perpetuating such silly stereotypes.

I currently live "east of Ridgeland" right near the Green Line and never have any problems. And "near Roosevelt" is such a load. Great things are happening on Roosevelt that is wouldn't hestiate living in the area.

but obviously, Oak Park is bascially "living in the city", so you just have to put yourself in that frame of mind.

Dicey?.....Ha!

Old 01-17-2008, 12:35 PM

30 posts, read 129,757 times
Default Thank you so much

In answer to your question on public schools, I come from a state that has an awful school system. I know the one up there is much better. I am wanting to get my children into the University of Chicago Lab schools which is the only reason I am shying away from public schools at this point. Thanks again.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:26 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrgrl74 View Post
In answer to your question on public schools, I come from a state that has an awful school system. I know the one up there is much better. I am wanting to get my children into the University of Chicago Lab schools which is the only reason I am shying away from public schools at this point. Thanks again.
The Lab school is excellent, as you know, but an awful long commute, unless you or your husband will also be working in Hyde Park.

Last edited by oakparkdude; 01-18-2008 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-18-2008, 10:07 AM

198 posts, read 822,395 times
If you can afford Lab for 3 kids maybe you should consider River Forest which is just west of Oak Park with some of the most beautiful older homes you'll see anywhere in the Chicago area. The Frank Lloyd Wright Historic District in Oak Park is an old home lovers dream as well. Again I'd like to reiterate what others have said - the public schools here are quite good. My dad's practice is in Oak Park and his partners kids all attended OPRF public schools, were in the gifted program and had no trouble at Yale, NYU, Stanford or Columbia with the slacker of the bunch coasting through Northwestern with honors. Spend the money on college funds or wait until high school and send them to Fenwick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs