Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:57 PM

381 posts, read 842,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenty
People are just jealous of North Shore people because we by far have the most wealthy people in one area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenty View Post
Okay, I realize saying the thing about people are jealous of the North Shore was not great way to get this person to change their mind. I want people to understand that the North Shore is the most ideal and desirable place for a city commuter to live and that there are affordable places. I understand it is a great sacrafice to settle for something smaller on the North Shore when you can have something larger in the western suburbs. The North Shore is an excellent place to live and is the best decision you could ever make. I have heard people say that they would go out and sleep in a tent to have their kids attend Evanston or New Trier. People think North Shore people are stuck up because of the enormous sence of pride we have of our gracious homes, vehicles, schools, communities, and personalities.
*wipes mouth* Sorry, just threw up in my mouth a little when I read this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 07:04 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenty View Post
Sukwoo,

Here is an example of a home on a neat Cul-De-Sac street. There are a lot of kids on this street. They walk to school together everyday, swim at their private beaches on the east side, play basketball, etc. That is my idea of a family friendly community. I don't think there is anything like this in Oak Park. Possibly in River Forest. Here is an example of a home on this Cul-De-Sac that is lower end for the street.
Single Family Home - 930 EDGEMERE CT, EVANSTON, IL, 60202 - Realtor.com

VHT - Photography, 360 Degree Virtual Panoramic Tours, Video Production
This a 2 million dollar home!!! How many people are in the market for a 2 million dollar home? Maybe that's one reason people look at Oak Park instead of the north shore. Not everyone can afford to live there. Even Oak Park itself is fairly expensive and people are getting priced out and moving to Forest Park which is not known for its schools.

Brenty, its one thing to say the north shore is nicer than Oak Park. I'd even agree with you. Its one thing to say Evanston is safer than Oak Park. I'd probably agree with that one too. Its one thing to say Evanston has better schools than Oak Park. Its a defensible and debatable statement.

But, no. That's not what you said. You categorically said Oak Park is not good for families; its not safe, and you imply that its got terrible schools. Then you throw in some useless crap about the Pritzkers, Pivens, and Cusacks for good measure. Finally you mention the sense of pride in your gracious homes, vehicles, schools, communities, and personalities. Vehicles????? You mention pride in vehicles as a good thing? I envision a bunch of snobs driving ferrarris and porsches, like "Ferris Bueller's Day Off."

As others have pointed out, you seem to be confirming the worst stereotypes about the north shore.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:19 PM

137 posts, read 202,298 times
I understand, that is not what I meant. That is probably one reason people look to the western suburbs because of affordability. But the thread starter did not say anything about prices. I have been messaging her telling her about schools like Parker, Latin, and Lake Forest Academy, which are considered as good if not better. I do not think she is persuing this anymore anyway.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:31 PM

5 posts, read 4,214 times
Brenty I can't believe that you keep on making outrageous claims like "the main reason people move to the western suburbs is affordability". thats a ridiculous thing to say. Do you think people move to River Forest, Oak Brook, Hinsdale, Western Springs, Clarendon Hills because they affordable? let me tell you they are not. The prices of homes in alot of those towns are more than those on the north shore. But i suppose it would be ridiculous to assume that they just choose to live there because they like the community and the beautiful homes and friendly neighbors. Do us all a favor and just stop posting back, because every post you have made has dug you deeper and deeper. I've never thought that people on the north shore we're stuck up and I hope that your crazy claims and snotty attitudes are not leading others to think that everyone who lives up there is like you, because lucky for civilization, they are not.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:38 PM

The places that the compare the western burbs to on the north shore like Western Springs and Clarendon Hills to Wilmette, Hinsdale and River Forest to Winnetka. Wilmette and Winnetka are both more expensive than their comparables. I like many of the western suburbs like Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills, and Western Springs. But, they are not more expensive than Wilmette or Winnetka. I have a friend from Evanston who was thinking about moving to Hinsdale to find more affordable new construction. The western suburbs are more affordable than the North Shore suburbs. That is fact, ask any realtor and they will tell you that. While they may come close they are not.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:47 PM

no one is debating that the north shore is more expensive. what all of us have a problem with is your claims that oak park and river forest aren't good places to raise a family when you have no basis for that whatsoever. I have a problem with you saying that the only reason people want to live in the western suburbs is because they are affordable, when there are many other reasons. You have this attitude that anyone who could afford to live on the north shore would do so when that simply isn't true. people have different prefrences. Lots of people (not all) in River Forest,Hinsdale and other western suburbs could afford to live in Wilmette or Winnetka but would rather live where they are living.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:51 PM

I understand but my posts were related to the OP.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:56 PM

thats not true:
"Oak Park and River Forest are not all that family friendly either."
"Oak Park and River Forest are not extremely safe."
"That is probably one reason people look to the western suburbs because of affordability."

all of the above are direct quotes from you. You were not just talking about Oak Park you mentioned River Forest in your first 2 outrageous claims and then all the western suburbs in your third.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:01 PM

Many people do look to the western suburbs for affordability. There are not affordable places on the northside with reasonable commutes. I do not consider Oak Park or River Forest family friendly. This site is about sharing your opinion. I understand you are a junior member but what you are doing is not helpful. Oak Park and River Forest are not extremely safe, that is a fact. You are not going to gain reputation points by arguing with me.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:12 PM

i'm not after points, why do you think that oak park are river forest are not family friendly? you can't just make a statement like that without backing it up somehow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs