Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 02:19 PM

324 posts, read 330,700 times

Advertisements

[quote=dtcabrera;39099639]I am assuming the 1100 2 bdr. and 1300 3 bdr. includes water and heat?

Yes but no washer/ dryer on site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 07:03 PM

324 posts, read 330,700 times
Sorry as far as heat goes included if they can not be split but most are split. With exception 1st floor and basement are together so you could put a 2nd entrance in basement to make it legal to rent as a larger unit.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:27 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,938,332 times
They told me 1500 for heat for the whole building per year. Each building is different with how the utilities work. I had existing washer and dryer and did not want to change to coin op for one tenant so I include it. Water and garbage and sewerage fees are billed every three months by the city of Berwyn. My last bill was 333.71. I kind of stumbled into this so I was not aware of all the fees. Even so the market will only bear so much rent in a place. A few people who were interested told me my rent was too much. Personally I think its very reasonable for what they are getting. I think they were looking for Cicero prices. My building is not really a money making proposition. Its mainly a place for my son to live which in effect gets subsidized by the tenants...the rent they pay ends up paying for property taxes and some repairs. And he does not have to pay rent to a landlord but to me.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:30 AM

Be careful as Berwyn is very strict on code and on the legality of basement apartments. I have a room with a bath down there and I can't really rent it, not that I would want to but I'd have to go through some hoops with the city to do it.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:32 AM

Also it would cost a fortune to put in a second entrance as buidlings are solid brick there is some cases and there is no easy way to do it. Even though I had the place thoroughly inspected by an independent inspector you never know what the city is going to require until you buy it and they come out and do the inspection.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:30 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Also it would cost a fortune to put in a second entrance as buidlings are solid brick there is some cases and there is no easy way to do it. Even though I had the place thoroughly inspected by an independent inspector you never know what the city is going to require until you buy it and they come out and do the inspection.

Sorry, novice here. Why would the city come out to inspect the property after you purchased the property?

Where I live (CA), the city doesn't do that unless someone filed a complaint or some work is being done that require inspection.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:31 PM

It depends on each suburb. Each one has their own rules and regulations. I don't know what they are for any of the other ones I only know what it is for Berwyn. Either the seller or the buyer will have to pay and that is negotiated. When I bought it was "as is" as most places are but the seller did do a few things to bring things up to code and then I have to do the rest. Why would they? Basically the system of inspections and permits, and approved contractors are money making fee systems for municipalities. Also they do want to keep things safe.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:42 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
Regardless of where you live, the job of the home inspector is to check and write an opion on the mechanical, HVAC, electrical and plumbing components in your house as working correctly as it relates to safety issues. They also check water stains and look at possibly leakl sources such as roof, as well as the possibility a sink or bathtub leaking. They may or may not note evidence of mold. A house that has been empty for awhile should probably have a mold inspection, anyway. Be aware, though, new construction exposed to the elements can develop mold over time too.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:12 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
It depends on each suburb. Each one has their own rules and regulations. I don't know what they are for any of the other ones I only know what it is for Berwyn. Either the seller or the buyer will have to pay and that is negotiated. When I bought it was "as is" as most places are but the seller did do a few things to bring things up to code and then I have to do the rest. Why would they? Basically the system of inspections and permits, and approved contractors are money making fee systems for municipalities. Also they do want to keep things safe.

So every time a house is sold, they city comes out to inspect?

Old 04-06-2015, 05:46 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,538 times
In Elgin, and apparently in Berwyn, the city inspects all rental properties once or twice a year and you need to have a license and repair any issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs