Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 12:17 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times

Advertisements

Okay good points but keep in mind I have been to India. No Indian family member that I know has ever wanted to live in an urbanized older place like Oak Park. Only one has lived in the city of Chicago because he was employed there. Most of the Indians I know, and I know many, have lived in places like Naperville, Hoffman Estates, Schaumburg, Westmont, Skokie, Downers Grove, Oak Brook, etc. I don't doubt there are Indians living in Evanston and Oak Park and really everywhere. Heck, there are Indians in Wheaton too, we have a sihk temple down the street.

And yes the area known as "Devon" is still there, as of last year when I went there for a Ramadan dinner. Most of the Indians living there in the surrounding area are of a lower economic status, its an area filled with apartments and smaller older bungalow homes. Most that I know are doctors, chemists, engineers, computer programmers and they can afford to live elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 09:59 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
Your best bet is to live in a town with good Metra rail access to downtown. Not every suburb will have that.

Out west I'd suggest Naperville, Downers Grove, Elmhurst, etc.

In the Northwest, I'd say Des Plaines & Arlington Heights. In the North I'd go with Morton Grove, Glenview, Northbrook & Deerfield. Southwest probably Tinley Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Okay good points but keep in mind I have been to India. No Indian family member that I know has ever wanted to live in an urbanized older place like Oak Park. Only one has lived in the city of Chicago because he was employed there. Most of the Indians I know, and I know many, have lived in places like Naperville, Hoffman Estates, Schaumburg, Westmont, Skokie, Downers Grove, Oak Brook, etc. I don't doubt there are Indians living in Evanston and Oak Park and really everywhere. Heck, there are Indians in Wheaton too, we have a sihk temple down the street.

And yes the area known as "Devon" is still there, as of last year when I went there for a Ramadan dinner. Most of the Indians living there in the surrounding area are of a lower economic status, its an area filled with apartments and smaller older bungalow homes. Most that I know are doctors, chemists, engineers, computer programmers and they can afford to live elsewhere.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:23 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,435,938 times
Worst. Thread. Ever.

My goodness, people. If you don't know where there is a large Indian contingent in the Chicago area, just say so. Or don't say anything.

Only one poster made a valid recommendation, for Skokie. Everyone else went completely off the rails, with recommendations for random suburbs without any specific for what OP asked for. Instead you guys told him what you wanted him to think. "You don't Really want an Indian community, I will direct you to Evanston and Oak Park where there are people from everywhere."

Sheesh!

Old 03-30-2015, 02:16 AM

367 posts, read 487,845 times
The biggest Indian communities in the suburbs are in Niles, Morton grove, Skokie, Des Plaines, Hoffman estates

Old 03-30-2015, 08:34 AM

Well its pretty hard because in reality, Indians are dispersed all over the Chicago area and in most suburbs. There are some where there are more Indians than others. Indians generally do not live in groups or in concentrated neighborhoods. I think the poster will get some information by reading this. There is always the knee jerk Oak Park/Evanston recommendation, and also people that will say to walk to everything you won't need your car.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:43 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,343,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Well its pretty hard because in reality, Indians are dispersed all over the Chicago area and in most suburbs. There are some where there are more Indians than others. Indians generally do not live in groups or in concentrated neighborhoods. I think the poster will get some information by reading this. There is always the knee jerk Oak Park/Evanston recommendation, and also people that will say to walk to everything you won't need your car.
Are you Indian, Toria? I thought I remember you saying white. Don't have to answer, obviously. You've just had a lot of insight here, and mentioned family members in India.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:23 PM

No I am not Indian myself. But have married into an Indian family. My son is half Indian.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:41 PM

258 posts, read 347,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Worst. Thread. Ever.

My goodness, people. If you don't know where there is a large Indian contingent in the Chicago area, just say so. Or don't say anything.

Only one poster made a valid recommendation, for Skokie. Everyone else went completely off the rails, with recommendations for random suburbs without any specific for what OP asked for. Instead you guys told him what you wanted him to think. "You don't Really want an Indian community, I will direct you to Evanston and Oak Park where there are people from everywhere."

Sheesh!
Just came back to this thread after a while.

Sheesh man, you should read the original post before firing off yourself.

OP listed 5 requirements. I actually gave him a suggestion of Evanston because it nails 4 out of the 5 requirements. Which most of the "Indian suburbs" actually do not. Almost all of them are "drive to every single place" suburbs. I am not talking about driving to work, but from the wife and kids perspective. From OPs post, I felt that the wife was not comfortable driving. Which means if you live in most places in Schaumburg, Aurora, Naperville, Skokie etc. You are basically stuck at home until the husband comes back from work.

So how does the wife handle a situation where she needs to go to a pharmacy or go to a doctor if her kid is sick? Or if she wants to do a a quick grocery run -that can't wait for the weekend grocery run?

Yes, the obvious answer is to learn driving and get a car. But I am talking about someone who has just moved to the country and about the first year or so when you are figuring everything out. Many people in Evanston do not even own a car (of course many students too). And while extreme walkability may not be a requirement for many people, it becomes a very attractive thing for someone who doesn't drive.

I suspect this is true for many New Yorkers as well. And for sure, this is totally true for most megacities in the world where everyone walks or uses public transportation as opposed to driving everywhere.

Here were the requirements just as a reminder:

am looking for an area which should suffice most of the criterion's below:
1. Good commute to work location
2. Nearby good school for my kid, where my wife can drop and pick him walking or by public transport.
3. Nearby Convenient and grocery store.
4. Safe, especially at night.

Last edited by asliarun; 04-13-2015 at 11:55 PM..

Old 04-14-2015, 02:05 PM

37 posts, read 85,529 times
I am friends and work with a large number of people of Indian descent, and who are of various immigration generations.

It seems to me that a large majority of them and their extended families live centered around two suburban areas; Schaumburg and Buffalo Grove/Wheeling. I don't think you could go wrong with either of those.

Good luck!

Old 04-14-2015, 02:18 PM

7 posts, read 17,953 times
I ride Metra everyday and theres a ton of Indian people getting on at Rt59, Naperville and Lisle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs