Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 06:32 PM

137 posts, read 202,714 times

Advertisements

Are there any more desirable areas of Hinsdale and less desirable? Like here on the North Shore, the farther you get away from the lake or woods the cheaper it gets? Like in Wilmette, East & Central Wilmette are the Most Expensive, then the far northern area called Indian Hill Estates, far west Wilmette near the woods, and then finally West Wilmette, which locals call Wilmetto because it is the 'ghettoist' part of Wilmette. Is it the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 11:10 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
Not sure, really. From what Ive seen, all of Hinsdale is gorgeous, well-kept, quite prestigious. There are older sections, but the homes are still fetching upwards of a million dollars at times, and there are many teardowns still occuring in the area. After all, Hinsdale is considered the father of the teardown craze.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:11 PM

677 posts, read 4,211,890 times
I don't live in Hinsdale so I could be wrong but I live in the next town over and as far as I know Hinsdale isn't like Wilmette in that way. The only parts that would be less desirable would be those zoned to Hinsdale South HS instead of Hinsdale Central, and I'm not sure that there are any. But Darien, Willowbrook, and the part of Burr Ridge zoned to Hinsdale South are looked down on because of the different high school. Also, the houses that are within a block or two of I-294 are cheaper, which makes sense, but I don't see the same thing occurring in Western Springs, so it's worth noting.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:20 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,572,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahava View Post
Also, the houses that are within a block or two of I-294 are cheaper, which makes sense, but I don't see the same thing occurring in Western Springs, so it's worth noting.
The part of Hinsdale that attends Western Springs elementary/middle and Lyons Township high school is the cheapest part of Hinsdale. This is within a block or two of I-294 and on the Cook County side of Hinsdale. Lyons Twp, although a great school is no Hinsdale Central. Therefore, the combination of being located next to the Tollway and not being a part of Hinsdale's school district detracts a little from the value. Not only that, it is flatter. The reasons the same phenomenon does not occur on the Western Springs side of 294 are: Everything in Western Springs is zoned to Lyons Township and although those houses are located near 294, they are still a part of Old Town, which is hands down considered to be the most attractive part of Western Springs (as if Forest Hills and Field Park are slummy )

Old 01-06-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
The part of Hinsdale that attends Western Springs elementary/middle and Lyons Township high school is the cheapest part of Hinsdale. This is within a block or two of I-294 and on the Cook County side of Hinsdale. Lyons Twp, although a great school is no Hinsdale Central. Therefore, the combination of being located next to the Tollway and not being a part of Hinsdale's school district detracts a little from the value. Not only that, it is flatter. The reasons the same phenomenon does not occur on the Western Springs side of 294 are: Everything in Western Springs is zoned to Lyons Township and although those houses are located near 294, they are still a part of Old Town, which is hands down considered to be the most attractive part of Western Springs (as if Forest Hills and Field Park are slummy )
Where in the Lyons Twp/Cook County part of Hinsdale do they attend Western Springs schools and LTHS? According to the map on D101's website (Western Springs School District 101 - Home -), I-294 is their western boundary. LTHS's boundary map shows the same (http://www.lths.net/export/sites/LTH...Map-Inside.pdf).

Old 01-06-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahava View Post
Where in the Lyons Twp/Cook County part of Hinsdale do they attend Western Springs schools and LTHS? According to the map on D101's website (Western Springs School District 101 - Home -), I-294 is their western boundary. LTHS's boundary map shows the same (http://www.lths.net/export/sites/LTH...Map-Inside.pdf).
Apparently, that section no longer attends Laidlaw/LTHS. This was dissolved about 15 years ago. About 15 years ago and previous to this, the section of Hinsdale north of the tracks, south of Ogden and between County Line Rd./294 was zoned to 101/204.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Apparently, that section no longer attends Laidlaw/LTHS. This was dissolved about 15 years ago. About 15 years ago and previous to this, the section of Hinsdale north of the tracks, south of Ogden and between County Line Rd./294 was zoned to 101/204.
Thanks for clearing that up. I went to Laidlaw and LTHS in the '80s and I remember that part of Hinsdale went to those schools, but when I moved back here I learned that was no longer the case, so you confused me when you said that part of Hinsdale still attends those schools and that's why I looked up the boundary maps. Anyway, if it's been 15 years since that area was last part of D101 and LTHS, I don't see why that would be responsible for those houses being cheaper. It could be the fact that they're in Cook County and the Cook County part of Hinsdale has higher taxes than the DuPage County part.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:50 PM

I went to Laidlaw in the 80's but only attended LT for 2 years. You could have been my neighbor back in the day when some teachers actually lived in the town. In any event, I believe the houses are cheaper in that section of Hinsdale because it is not associated with County Line Rd. or Garfield Ave. and it is next to 294 as opposed to the Western Springs side where the "Old Town" moniker can cause the crappiest of houses along Western Avenue to be priced around 499k or more.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I went to Laidlaw in the 80's but only attended LT for 2 years. You could have been my neighbor back in the day when some teachers actually lived in the town. In any event, I believe the houses are cheaper in that section of Hinsdale because it is not associated with County Line Rd. or Garfield Ave. and it is next to 294 as opposed to the Western Springs side where the "Old Town" moniker can cause the crappiest of houses along Western Avenue to be priced around 499k or more.
Actually, the cheapest house on the market in Western Springs right now is on Western in Old Town and is $329,500. But in general I agree with you about the different parts of Western Springs. Even the smallest houses in Springdale are over 450k, and I make fun of my own sister for living in Springdale. Also, if you lived near Grand & Maple you were my neighbor.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:02 PM

Wow what a small world. I lived on Maple near Central. And you must be near to my age because you said you went to Laidlaw in the 80's. If you were older, you would have attended Grand. So you probably graduated near '90.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs