Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,469 times

Advertisements

Hi, i recently got a speeding ticket on ogden ave

County: DuPage
City: Downers grove
Court: Downers Grove Field Court

I'm a student, i was allegedly accused of going 51 mph on a 35 mph zone during a rainy tuesday morning during traffic hour at 8:00AM. I'm boggled because i was likely not been able to go that fast especially during these conditions (even told him i dont think that was possible) but ticketed me anyways and told me i can try to go to court...

from what i heard, downers grove are well associated with the police officers so going to court without an attorney would most likely will dismiss me as guilty and court fees will add on top of that than pleading guilty and paying $120 (im just worried about my insurance and points on my license) with that said, any advice? my best option seems to be court supervision + $120 fine. should i try to go to court anyways? my evidence is on the ticket that states wet road, rain but visibility is clear, at 8:04AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 05:37 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
I'd plead guilty, pay the fine, and get supervision. Unless the officer is a no show you probably won't win. I think you could have asked for a print out from the radar gun and if the offcer refused you might have had a case.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:19 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
In suburban police departments the officers are generally paid to show up at traffic court. Further they are well versed in the correct use of radar, the proper documentation of road conditions, the relevant signage, the correct time and all other pertinent details that a prosecutor would need to convict you. Similarly, the judges assigned to suburban traffic court have very little sense of humor, no real desire to listen to some silly story of make-believe "speeding not going 51" -- that ain't how it works.

Additionally, no HONEST criminal defense attorney would bother taking you as a client as they know from experience that traffic tickets are more about revenue than anything else and they can't expect to work out a deal that gets any better than the "deal" that is allowed if you plead guilty and accept "court supervision".

The way court supervision works is the ticket stays at the court house for the term of "supervision" and if you do not get any more citatiuons during that period the ticket is not reported against your "points". This generally keeps you insurance out of it...

Old 12-15-2014, 06:00 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,434,481 times
What is this "court supervision?" I got many a speeding ticket during my years in Illinois, but I recall my only options were attending and paying for Traffic School to keep the ticket from showing on my insurance.

Has something changed?

Old 12-16-2014, 03:08 AM

Court supervision in DuPage Co. generally is offered to all minor violations. It is as described-- a way to leave the ticket at the courthouse. Cook Co includes Traffic School.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:40 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,938,332 times
Its a waste of time trying to go to court. I am under court supervision right now because I was caught speeding on a side street. Paid the fine and done. Just don't speed again. (ha)

Old 12-16-2014, 12:53 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,097,725 times
This is a day late and a dollar short advice but immediately always ask the cop to see the radar gun. He either shows you going 51 or he doesn't and maybe you can nip it in the butt right there and not get the ticket. Once it goes to court 99 times out of 100 your going to wind up paying hte ticket plus court costs. If you want to roll the dice and hope the cop doesn't show up you can go to court, if cop doesn't show you automatically get it dismissed typically.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:28 PM

Default Won't work in DuPage Co...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
This is a day late and a dollar short advice but immediately always ask the cop to see the radar gun. He either shows you going 51 or he doesn't and maybe you can nip it in the butt right there and not get the ticket. Once it goes to court 99 times out of 100 your going to wind up paying hte ticket plus court costs. If you want to roll the dice and hope the cop doesn't show up you can go to court, if cop doesn't show you automatically get it dismissed typically.
The police are PAID to show up at court AND THEY ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS do...

Old 12-16-2014, 07:16 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
I have heard you can request the printout from the radar gun and if the officer does not (ie witholds evidence) the case can be tossed.

Never mind... I've read conflicting information on this and it depends on the municipality. In the end it is not worth the effort. Pay the fine and get supervision. One has to pick their battles.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:28 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,434,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Court supervision in DuPage Co. generally is offered to all minor violations. It is as described-- a way to leave the ticket at the courthouse. Cook Co includes Traffic School.
Makes sense! When in Dupage i was usually on the highway, so not likely speeding any worse than anyone else. But in Cook I was usually on the side roads trying to avoid the Hillside Strangler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs