Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 08:14 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I think that he's looking for Protestant schools, and I don't know if there are all that many in metro Chicago.
There are several. Just off the top of my head:

Timothy Christian
Wheaton Academy
Wheaton Christian Grammar
Barrington Christian Academy
Naperville Christian Academy
Covenant Classical School
Good Shepherd Lutheran
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 05:14 AM

15 posts, read 25,844 times
Thank you to everyone for the posts. If we narrow down to the Wheaton, St Charles, Geneva, Batavia, Naperville area. how are access to golf courss, amenities, restaurants etc? Also for the kids our winter sports include soccer, some fall baseball etc. Can we do winter baseball indoors given the frigid temps? what are some of the activities kids partake in during the cold months? and how would the above areas compare as far as access to said activities? thanks a bunch...BTW the discussion of best suburbs to live in on this board has been helpful...thank again to all that have contributed!

Old 12-18-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nector View Post
how are access to golf courss, amenities, restaurants etc?
Excellent for all of the suburbs you are considering. Battavia may be a slight step down, but it's close to Geneva, which is awesome.

Quote:
Also for the kids our winter sports include soccer, some fall baseball etc. Can we do winter baseball indoors given the frigid temps? what are some of the activities kids partake in during the cold months?
I've never heard of indoor baseball. But indoor soccer, volleyball, and basketball are common winter sport activities. I'm not familiar with all of the park district offerings outside of Glen Ellyn, but we have a huge indoor facility called Ackerman that has indoor soccer fields, a climbing wall, track and gym space. Here's an example of the winter offerings we have:

2015 Winter Activity Guide.

And frankly, kids still go outside in the winter. Less than when I was a kid (unfortunately), but you just need to make them go out.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:09 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Thank you to everyone for the posts. If we narrow down to the Wheaton, St Charles, Geneva, Batavia, Naperville area. how are access to golf courss, amenities, restaurants etc? Also for the kids our winter sports include soccer, some fall baseball etc. Can we do winter baseball indoors given the frigid temps? what are some of the activities kids partake in during the cold months? and how would the above areas compare as far as access to said activities? thanks a bunch...BTW the discussion of best suburbs to live in on this board has been helpful...thank again to all that have contributed!
St. Charles, Naperville, Geneva, etc, are chock full of excellent restaurants and every amenity you can think of. The Chicagoland area, I believe, has more golf courses than any other major metro area. Heck, the 18-hole course was invented here! Youll have plenty of golf courses to choose from, no matter what suburb you choose. There are also several indoor soccer fields for winter, but Ive never heard of indoor baseball.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:32 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The Chicagoland area, I believe, has more golf courses than any other major metro area. Heck, the 18-hole course was invented here!
This is true. The first 18-hole golf club founded in America, Chicago Golf Club, has it's home in Wheaton. Abraham Lincoln's son, Robert Todd Lincoln, was the club's first board chairman and the club was a founding member of the USGA. I wouldn't plan on playing there straight away if you move to Wheaton, as the club is reportedly one of the most exclusive golf clubs in the world. There are a few members around town though, and I've encountered a couple people who were lucky enough to tag along as guests.

Wheaton does have many other remarkable courses though, including the 2nd best public course in Illinois according to Golf Digest, Cantigny (Illinois: Best In State Rankings | Golf Digest) (Home | Cantigny). There is also one of the best park district operated courses around, the 27-hole Arrowhead Golf Club (Arrowhead Golf Club, Wheaton), which hosts several big corporate events like the annual Future Industry Association golf outing (10th Annual FIA Chicago Golf Outing).

As for winter activities, Wheaton has space for indoor soccer, tennis, volleyball, etc. Here is the full winter catalog from the park district: Winter 2015 Wheaton Park District Youth & Family Program Guide

And as a side note, though I chose to live in Wheaton, I do love the tri-cities area -- but it should be noted there is not an easy way to get from Batavia, Geneva or St. Charles to O'Hare. There is a Metra in Geneva though, for trips to Chicago.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 12-18-2014 at 08:49 AM..

Old 12-18-2014, 08:41 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,916 times
Actually, there are indoor baseball facilities in the area. I have a friend in Indianapolis who talks about a place called Extra Innings. They don't have any facilities in our area, but see this: Indoor Baseball Facility in Chicago, Illinois with Reviews & Ratings - YP.com

Old 12-18-2014, 08:47 AM

Wheaton has indoor batting cages: Central Athletic Center | Wheaton Park District

And I think neighboring Carol Stream has a facility with space for indoor baseball practice, as well as batting cages: DuPage Academy

Old 12-18-2014, 09:09 AM

Indoor batting cages are not the equivalent of an organized indoor baseball league with teams and games.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Indoor batting cages are not the equivalent of an organized indoor baseball league with teams and games.
dyuh!

But if these kids are already heavily involved year-round, it's probably nice to know they can at least still hone their skills here when Jack Frost is nipping at noses.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:24 AM

720 posts, read 1,083,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
This is true. The first 18-hole golf club founded in America, Chicago Golf Club, has it's home in Wheaton. Abraham Lincoln's son, Robert Todd Lincoln, was the club's first board chairman and the club was a founding member of the USGA. I wouldn't plan on playing there straight away if you move to Wheaton, as the club is reportedly one of the most exclusive golf clubs in the world. There are a few members around town though, and I've encountered a couple people who were lucky enough to tag along as guests.

Wheaton does have many other remarkable courses though, including the 2nd best public course in Illinois according to Golf Digest, Cantigny (Illinois: Best In State Rankings | Golf Digest) (Home | Cantigny). There is also one of the best park district operated courses around, the 27-hole Arrowhead Golf Club (Arrowhead Golf Club, Wheaton), which hosts several big corporate events like the annual Future Industry Association golf outing (10th Annual FIA Chicago Golf Outing).

As for winter activities, Wheaton has space for indoor soccer, tennis, volleyball, etc. Here is the full winter catalog from the park district: Winter 2015 Wheaton Park District Youth & Family Program Guide

And as a side note, though I chose to live in Wheaton, I do love the tri-cities area -- but it should be noted there is not an easy way to get from Batavia, Geneva or St. Charles to O'Hare. There is a Metra in Geneva though, for trips to Chicago.
Living in Batavia I'm able to get to O'Hare fairly quickly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs