Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 11:51 AM

671 posts, read 690,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
That used to be a very plain split level, they really upgraded it. It is probably priced pretty fairly for the size / quality but there are some much more modest homes nearby... Sorta like this: Downers Grove Real Estate & Downers Grove Homes For Sale - Zillow
Cute house, but I wouldn't purchase the highest priced house on the block. It may be over-renovated for the area.

thanks,

Dandiday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 12:06 PM

OK- More questions -

What kind of kitchen do you desire? Eat-in? Separate breakfast area? Kitchen bar, with only a dining room?

What kind and color of cabinets? White-painted vs. natural stained wood? Dark? Cherry? Light maple?

Countertops? Marble, quartz, granite? Color?

Minimum # bedrooms? Baths?

Size of Master?

Maybe if you shared what you currently have, that would help! Please include any bonus rooms, sq. feet,etc.

Here are mine:

2400++ sq feet
3 living/dining rooms (somewhere!)
kitchen with breakfast area and dining room
Natural stained (dark side) wood cabinets
granite countertops (NOT black!!!) - something like creme de bordeaux (streaks of it matches our wine...)
At least 10 x 12, and larger
3 bed minimum + either a den or bonus room somewhere
some type of foyer w/closet
powder room on main floor
Master-at least 13x14, if not much larger!
A yard bigger than a master bedroom

Bonuses-
A basement that isn't TOO creepy, and is finished, or can be reasonably finished out.
bath or powder room in basement.
Master bath
Master closet
Deck
porch
2-car garage

Willing to do reno/updating in place (no additions, but moving some walls ok)- has to all be under 800K (prefer under 750K total for price plus reno)

From the 5 or 6 recently solds or current contingents in La Grange, it appears we just missed some great opportunities within our budget. Hopefully, some more will pop up!

More rare, but still possible, were some solds in WS and Hinsdale.
We still have to pursue Wheaton, DG, GE, and Elmhurst on the next trip!

H'worth posted a GREAT house in Wheaton - would like to hear more about that neighborhood, H'worth!!!

So, let's hear about your own houses!

Thanks,

Dandiday

Old 12-13-2014, 02:32 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,892 times
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/0N456-Arbor-Ct-Winfield-IL-60190/64815550_zpid/

Old 12-13-2014, 05:46 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post
H'worth posted a GREAT house in Wheaton - would like to hear more about that neighborhood, H'worth!!!
The home is in Wheaton's historic district. It's a lovely neighborhood with quiet, tree lined streets and a charming mix of large historic homes and newer tear-downs. It's a roughly six block walk to downtown Wheaton where you can find Metra, shopping, dining and the Prairie Path. A few blocks north of the home is Northside Park, a 70-acre green space complete with lighted tennis courts, ponds, walking paths, and a very nice community pool called Northside Aquatic Center. A few blocks south of the home is Memorial Park, which hosts many of Wheaton's annual fesitivals/events/concerts. Also just down the road is Wheaton Sports Center, a full-service health and fitness club.

If I was in the market with your wants/needs, I'd bite....

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
I like this one that just came to market:

807 North West Street WHEATON, IL 60187 | Baird & Warner

Taxes are a tad high, but the price is right. Drury is a design team out of neighboring Glen Ellyn... Drury Design | Kitchen & Bath Studio

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 12-13-2014 at 06:47 PM..

Old 12-13-2014, 06:32 PM

Default Wheaton house

H'worth- I just may do that...it has all that we're looking for, and more!
Gonna contact my realtor...
thanks for keeping an eye out! I appreciate it very much!
Cheers,
Dandiday

Old 12-14-2014, 07:08 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
My prior new house had a huge kitchen with an island and then a breakfast bay. Meaning a bay window that looked onto the backyard and you could fit a good size table in it. A planning desk in the kitchen and a pantry. It also had nine foot ceilings, a sitting room adjoining the bedroom with a fireplace. The master bath had a whirlpool tub and a walk in shower and a toilet that was in a separate compartment. First floor laundry room and also volume ceilings up in a few of the bedrooms. A fireplace in the bedroom. I like all these features. Not all must haves. Also had a side load garage.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:47 PM

Default Hope we can find that too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
My prior new house had a huge kitchen with an island and then a breakfast bay. Meaning a bay window that looked onto the backyard and you could fit a good size table in it. A planning desk in the kitchen and a pantry. It also had nine foot ceilings, a sitting room adjoining the bedroom with a fireplace. The master bath had a whirlpool tub and a walk in shower and a toilet that was in a separate compartment. First floor laundry room and also volume ceilings up in a few of the bedrooms. A fireplace in the bedroom. I like all these features. Not all must haves. Also had a side load garage.
Toria, it sounds like a lovely home! Love the high ceilings, and especially the fireplace in the bedroom. It's so cozy, and also provides warmth, which definitely helps with that cold there!
I also like the separated john...we had one in our prior house in which a door was on the separated compartment. I relish the privacy! Your kitchen sounds complete and functional for those multi-tasking times whilst cooking.
All great attributes that make one's house enjoyable and functional. I hope we can find one with at least a few of those items!

Old 12-15-2014, 06:11 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
As it turns out I don't live there any more........but I live in a slightly smaller duplex that has some of the same features but not all. The fireplace in the bedroom is a kind of useless luxury I would not insist on it now. I also had a fireplace in the family room too which I still do now. My point is that at the price point you are indicating you should be able to get many of these features. What I like about a newer house rather than the ones in the older historical districts is an attached garage. That is a must for me. I also would never buy a house without a basement but most here have them. As far as lots go, I don't need a lot of land or would not want it. I just like a regular size yard that is nice, with a deck or patio or both. I also like sidewalks, don't want to live where they don't have them.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:53 AM

Default agree about an attached garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
As it turns out I don't live there any more........but I live in a slightly smaller duplex that has some of the same features but not all. The fireplace in the bedroom is a kind of useless luxury I would not insist on it now. I also had a fireplace in the family room too which I still do now. My point is that at the price point you are indicating you should be able to get many of these features. What I like about a newer house rather than the ones in the older historical districts is an attached garage. That is a must for me. I also would never buy a house without a basement but most here have them. As far as lots go, I don't need a lot of land or would not want it. I just like a regular size yard that is nice, with a deck or patio or both. I also like sidewalks, don't want to live where they don't have them.
I hope I can find most on my wish list. I agree with you about the garage...most likely, I'll stay in more if I have to navigate snow and ice to get to the garage (I have horrible balance, and must use a cane or walking aid). A couple of houses we viewed had an attached garage, in which we placed a premium!!!

As far as the yard and other items, I was trying to discern what house attributes the posters had, and looked for, so we could purchase a house that had a good chance at resale in 5 or 6 years. I could easily live in a much smaller house with a smaller yard, but think that would substantially decrease my future buyer pool.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:16 AM

768 posts, read 1,103,190 times
The global draw to IL is that everyone loves the big city. In general both younger and older buyers want that city access…

Close to city
Walking Metra access
Eventful town
great/top schools
Historic vibrant walkable town core (some town look great but are asleep at 9PM on Friday/Saturday night)
Character in home (Craftsman, Prairie, Victorian construction)
10ft ceilings on main floor
Walk in closets
Master bath,
At least 3Bed 2.5 Bath
Open floor plan
Dark wood floors/millwork
Fireplace
10ft ceilings in basement (deeper dug foundation)
Newer kitchen with Island, nice stainless steel appliances
Amazing front door for first impression
Smaller yard to decrease outside maintenance

I am fairly simple - I draw a .5M radius circle around my desirable town cores. ~ we mostly looked there also keeping finger on pulse in those pinpointed areas…

Last edited by JJski; 12-15-2014 at 09:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs