Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 10:13 AM

4 posts, read 7,732 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I live in Chicago and i will be starting a job in Skokie Blvd in Northbrook. I do not drive at the moment. I can make my way to Northbrook through the metra. I can get on the Milwaukee district north line from union station downtown chicago, which gets me off at Northbrook station on Shemer Rd. But the problem is its a 48 min walk to the job location on Skokie Blvd, but a 9min drive. Are there buses, taxis or even uber at the train station. I looked into PACE bus schedule, but none has a stop on Skokie Blvd. Please can anyone give suggestions on how to get to the job from the Northbrook station.

Also the CTA has a route that gets me there in 2hrs (1hr 15mins longer than the Metra) with less walking, but i would rather the Metra. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 02:13 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,423,355 times
Also look into taking the Union Pacific North Metra line to the Glencoe stop. This may be a quicker drive to Skokie Blvd than the Northbrook Metra stop possibly. Look into possible bus connections.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:20 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,993,923 times
It's my experience that train stations usually have a couple of cabs waiting when trains come in, but I can't imagine taking a cab twice a day to work, that will really add up $$.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:48 PM

Thanks, but that's about a 43 mins walk, and hard to catch a connecting pace bus to my destination.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:56 PM

Taking a cab really isn't what i'll ideally want to do, but not sure which buses (options) are available to connect to my destination.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:02 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,960,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Baby View Post
Taking a cab really isn't what i'll ideally want to do, but not sure which buses (options) are available to connect to my destination.
Can you ride a bike? It looks like there's a continuous sidewalk along Dundee and Skokie so you won't have to ride in traffic. Obviously snowy weather and rain will be problematic.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:55 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,431,256 times
The suggestion for bicycle may be better than a 43 minute walk but I would caution that with our early darkness, the very clogged streets near Northbrook and weather near freezing with high humidity / risk of precipitation the downsides are considerable -- Chciago Current Weather

If the OP's employer does not have a shuttle or perhaps some kind of "rideshare" this seems like a recipe for disaster...

Old 12-10-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The suggestion for bicycle may be better than a 43 minute walk but I would caution that with our early darkness, the very clogged streets near Northbrook and weather near freezing with high humidity / risk of precipitation the downsides are considerable -- Chciago Current Weather

If the OP's employer does not have a shuttle or perhaps some kind of "rideshare" this seems like a recipe for disaster...
I agree, but there's not many good options here.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:47 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,441,249 times
Is it by Dundee. My biking group rides in that area a lot. From Northbrook we ride east on Walters, N on Lee, east then south on Grant, east on Voltz then north on Sunset Ridge into Skokie Rd. I've ridden it many times. Make sure you have lights and reflective gear and if you take it on Metra you probably need a folder otherwise it is at the discretion of the conductors when and if you can take your bike on. Since you are a reverse commuter they will be more lenient.

Perhaps if you get chummy enough with one of your coworkers they will give you a ride to either the Glencoe or Northbrook Station.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Is it by Dundee. My biking group rides in that area a lot. From Northbrook we ride east on Walters, N on Lee, east then south on Grant, east on Voltz then north on Sunset Ridge into Skokie Rd. I've ridden it many times. Make sure you have lights and reflective gear and if you take it on Metra you probably need a folder otherwise it is at the discretion of the conductors when and if you can take your bike on. Since you are a reverse commuter they will be more lenient.
Bikes are allowed on reverse commuting trains except during a handful of days (Taste of Chicago, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs