Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 11:57 AM

30 posts, read 70,236 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am in my 20's and I recently moved to Chicago from a very rural state. I currently live in River North because I wanted to be close to my office in the South loop and live in a safe area. For personal reasons, I have to commute to a nearby state (about 5 hour commute) once a month. With that being said, I'm getting very irritated with flying or taking the train so often. Therefore, I would really like to get a car. However, I refuse to pay $250+ per month for a parking garage spot where I am now in addition to the car and insurance in the city.

For that reason, I'm starting to expand my search to nearby suburbs of the city. There are so many areas and, being so new to the city and state of IL, I really don't know where to start and I was hoping I could get some help on here.

Long story short:

I'm looking for a suburb where I can find:

- Free, off-street parking with apartment rental
- < $900/month for a studio (or one bedroom)
- Within 30-40 min from Aon bulding on Metra or El

Is there any safe, more residential areas that anyone would recommend? I'm in my 20's, but I really don't need a big bar or nightlife scene. I like more family-oriented areas.

Thanks all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 12:34 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,994,721 times
So, is there a shuttle or something that will get you from one of the Metra stations to the Aon building? I've seen shuttles, but I've never had to get to the building so I don't know anything about them. Unfortunately, the Aon building isn't in a very convenient location since it is so far east.

Parking in the suburbs generally isn't an issue. It may be an issue in a more urban suburb like Oak Park or Evanston, but it shouldn't be hard at all in towns like Elmhurst, Villa Park, Lombard, etc.

If you have to take the L to get close enough to your office I would look at Oak Park and Evanston. I suspect your budget may be a little low, but I'm not a rental expert.

If you can easily get to your job from the Metra then I'd look at the towns I mentioned above and also towns on the BNSF train line.

This is one place that looks reasonable:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/apa/4756380607.html

Old 12-03-2014, 12:41 PM

397 posts, read 603,252 times
Do pay less than $900 in River North now? That sounds low.

I think you will have a hard time finding a building with off street parking that is in walking distance of a train station with a short trip into the Loop that costs less than $900. You can probably find something in Evanston that isn't that nice but many apartment buildings in Evanston are vintage so do not have parking. To find off street parking, you need either a new building built with a garage (probably cost more than $900 and parking is usually extra) or a newer complex built with a parking lot. The latter kind of buildings aren't usually on the train lines.

You'd be better off moving somewhere in the City that has abundant street parking. Those neighborhoods do exist but you have to look for them. You're more likely to find ample street parking on a street that has more single family homes than apartment buildings. You might want to look for a building that is on a street with permit parking. And don't assume that parking on the street means your car will be stolen. In a decent neighborhood street parking, while annoying, is not unsafe. But with street parking, you have to watch every day for closures. I think the City is supposed to give you 2 days notice of street cleaning or other work that will close down the parking for the day. Also don't live on any street with a nighttime winter parking ban. Also you want a neighborhood that has already been through the People's Gas modernizations.

I can't think of any neighborhood along the red line with ample street parking. Maybe look along the Brown Line. For ideal parking, you would want a neighborhood that is a mix of SFHs and small apartment buildings.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTW2013 View Post
Do pay less than $900 in River North now? That sounds low.
I wish. $1500. I want to get lower to I can buy a car.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:34 PM

397 posts, read 603,252 times
Why not rent a car for your out of state trips? You can probably rent a car for less than a car payment.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTW2013 View Post
Why not rent a car for your out of state trips? You can probably rent a car for less than a car payment.
I'm < 25

Old 12-03-2014, 04:14 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,347,075 times
You only need to be 21 for Zipcar:

Chicago car sharing rates & plans

Looks like daily rates in Chicago are $74-$79 without a commitment. You'd have to do the math.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 12-03-2014 at 05:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs