Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What part of the suburbs would you rather live in?
North Shore 23 27.06%
North 2 2.35%
Northwest 8 9.41%
West 20 23.53%
South 25 29.41%
Southwest 7 8.24%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 04:25 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,344,668 times

Advertisements

I always counted northwest Indiana as part of the south suburbs... am I alone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 08:58 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,377,650 times
Well NW Indiana doesn't see themselves that way. Technically they are really the Southeast suburbs if anything.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:14 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
I always counted northwest Indiana as part of the south suburbs... am I alone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Well NW Indiana doesn't see themselves that way. Technically they are really the Southeast suburbs if anything.
I've never heard anyone include NWI as part of the south suburbs.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:46 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,344,668 times
So.... the North Shore is the Northwest Shore? Because water is the only thing due north of the city.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:51 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,377,650 times
Quote:
So.... the North Shore is the Northwest Shore? Because water is the only thing due north of the city.
sure....as long as everyone knows that Chicagoland's FINEST and GREATEST beaches are in Indiana.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:52 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
No, it's the north shore, I've definitely never heard anyone refer to it as anything else. Have you looked at a map of the area?

Old 12-04-2014, 10:08 AM

720 posts, read 1,084,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thats just an opinion. I find the wooded, rolling hills and river valleys of the far western burbs to be more beautiful, but thats just my opinion. Then you add in the charming towns that dot the area (ie Geneva, St. Charles, etc) and it just adds to the overall flavor of the Fox River Valley. I love it there.
And Batavia!

Old 12-04-2014, 11:53 AM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
North Shore are the only suburbs I would consider.
Any particular reason, why not the near west burbs? Oak Park and Forest Park have an urban walkability and density and easy access to the city that appeal to city lovers prefer. And like Lookout Kid mentioned, even La Grange is about the same distance from the loop as Evanston.

Is it because of having better access to the more appealing and vibrant north side as opposed to the war zone west side?

Old 12-04-2014, 11:57 AM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I do like the North Shore, but the feel the commutes get long once you get north of Wilmette or Kennilworth, largely because of the greater distances through the north side of the city. Evanston is actually the same distance from the Loop as La Grange. And it's really hard to get to most suburban employment centers from the North Shore, outside of the large concentration of jobs in Lake County.

If I had an unlimited budget and knew that I would only work downtown for the rest of my career, then I'd probably pick northern Evanston or Wilmette. Kennilworth seems like it might be so wealthy that it may be a little twisted.... But I do actually know a couple of people who grew up there, and they are nice people. So I'd certainly think about living there too.

But now that I've lived out west for a while, I really do like our access to just about everything. The amenities available to people in this area are actually pretty amazing for a suburban area, and unparalleled in most of the country. And I actually like living near suburbs that are more diverse and the lower cost of living in this direction. Things like preschool, swimming lessons, food, etc. are all less expensive in the Western Suburbs, particularly once you get some distance from the city.
But the houses still look like the gracious historic north shore colonials/georgians, etc. that are still less ostentatious than new money Barrington or Oak Brook.

I think Kenilworth has a higher $$ statistics maybe because those other NS suburbs have at least a couple streets that have more modest middle class homes that bring down the $ stats?

Old 12-04-2014, 12:11 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
And Batavia!
Unfortunately Batavia let itself go for awhile, and it got kind of undesireable. Its on the upswing, though! Lots of good renovations taking place downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs