Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:08 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Something is not lining up here. Out of curiosity, where are you moving from?

Schools should probably be a top priority.
There are far fewer decent elementary schools that feed into iffy middle schools and kinda crummy high schools than the other way. Further most of the towns in DuPage Co have MUCH HIGHER PERCENTAGE of town that has a traditional "small town fee" than Plainfield or Oswego where the "boom town effect" of massive tract builders have sprawlized most of those area...

There is nothing wrong with wanting to try to find a more affordable spot but the odds of finding BETTER schools or MORE safety in such a situation is RARE if not impossible...

When I was more actively helping folks relocate from areas with a lower cost of living I would often recommend that folks that were freaked out by purchase prices far above what they were comfortable with to explore some of the nicer rental homes. When I myself was a landlord I felt good about having a long term tenant that would have their kids in the same district for the seven years or so of middle school & high school. Of course one might actually have lower out of pocket costs owning in Oswego or Plainfield but the stability of values out that way is nothing like that of the more desirable traditional area in DuPage that are far more "family freindly".

Finally I think you will find just as many, maybe more folks driven by economic competitiveness is some shiny tract development. There are just as many people driving $50k++ SUVs & pickups out that way as there in the priciest of suburbs. I've seen just as many people spend goofy amounts of cash on hopped up cars and fancy boats in those tract developments as anybody spends on clothes or haircare in the most "posh" towns. When it comes to the "mean girls" my friends that teach in either well regarded high schools like New Trier or Hinsdale Central or iffier schools out in the tract developments all say there is no shortage of kids that flaunt their fancy purses, pricey electronic and other signs of consumerism. The boys out in the more rural areas probably feel even more pressure to fit into stereotypical "jock" roles compared to areas where lots of dads have made a good life in a nice whimpy role with a traditional office job or some non-athletic career path that involved doing really well in highly selective colleges...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 02:55 PM

16 posts, read 18,757 times
Isn't Oswego in Kendall County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs