Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2014, 06:24 PM

11 posts, read 28,951 times

Advertisements

I have another question for all you informed people. We live in Austin now and moving somewhere in the Western Suburbs next summer. La Grange, Hinsdale, Western Springs....somewhere. My 13 year old son plays hockey (yes, in Austin!) and I can only assume there is some great youth hockey in the area. Any recommendations on what leagues are the most fun for kids? He plays goalie and he's good but not great so we aren't looking for the elite travel teams.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 07:21 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Goalies are often in demand.

Biggest club in the western burbs is probably Hawks out of Darien, just across the SW border of Hinsdale.

Oldest club is probably Admirals in the NW section of Glen Ellyn.

Other options are Chiefs in Elmhurst, Blues in Bensenville, north of Elmhurst or Bruins in Addison, a little further west.

Many clubs have multiple tiers -- check out full details at NIHL Youth Hockey or the more recreational www.nwhleague.com/about

Old 09-24-2014, 08:06 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,298 times
Default Links!

In the Wheaton/Glen Ellyn area the go-to club is called the Admirals. They play out of Center Ice of DuPage, located just north of the Wheaton/Glen Ellyn border.

In the Clarendon Hills/Hinsdale area the go-to club is called the Chicago Hawks. They play out of the Darien Sportsplex in nearby Darien. The Chicago Hawks are probably the closest club to La Grange/Western Springs as well -- roughly a 7 mile drive down Plainfield Road.

In close proximity to all the suburbs in question (except perhaps La Grange/Western Springs) is the Chicago Mission, an elite youth team that plays out of Seven Bridges Ice Arena in Woodridge. I know you said you aren't looking for elite teams, but you never know where your son's skills will go once he is exposed to Chicago-style hockey.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 09-24-2014 at 08:49 PM..

Old 09-25-2014, 07:06 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,373,730 times
The following leagues field teams in Chicago/suburbs:

HPHL (AAA) - The elite midwest travel league which includes Mission, CYA, Team Illinois who compete against other midwestern teams (e.g. Mich, Wisc), and participate in natl./intl. tournaments. This league includes teams that have won national championships, and some olympians/pros have come out of here.

CSDHL - Central States League which seems to have some pretty competitive teams in the western burbs (don't know much about this league).

NIHL - Illinois A/AA league that does not require equal playing time. League has a wide range of skills (e.g. bronze A level to high gold level which approaches AAA play). This leagues is sponsored by the Chicago Wolves, so they will have some youth events there.

NWHL - Illinois league that requires equal playing time. I would say this is the most "fun" and least competitive league. This also seems to be the league most associated with park districts, thus less expensive. Another nice thing about this league is that it is sponsored by the Blackhawks, so kids have some opportunities to play before/during games at the United Center, meet the Blackhawks in the locker room, etc.

My kids have played for HPHL, NIHL, and NWHL teams. I would suggest you look at the league home pages to find the teams in your area (but expect to drive a bit - it is hockey), then call the coaches to get more information on the team, play level, philosophies, etc.

p.s. Just saw that you are moving next summer.... Tryouts for all but the HPHL league will be in late summer (warmup skates typically begin early August). HPHL tryouts are in early June.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 09-25-2014 at 07:39 AM..

Old 09-25-2014, 07:34 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,373,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post

In close proximity to all the suburbs in question (except perhaps La Grange/Western Springs) is the Chicago Mission, an elite youth team that plays out of Seven Bridges Ice Arena in Woodridge. I know you said you aren't looking for elite teams, but you never know where your son's skills will go once he is exposed to Chicago-style hockey.
Probably the premier IL youth teams are at Mission. This is where the former NHL/Div.1 players I know are sending their kids (who have been coached by daddy since they could walk).. But who knows, goalies have a whole other set of skills. I have met some goalies who started relatively late (you know like 9 - lol) but had the quickness and size to go far.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:44 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,237 times
I played hockey when I was younger in Minnesota but didn't continue when I moved to Illinois. I do know however there's a number of hockey clubs in the area. The most popular one in the Naperville/Lisle/Westmont kinda area was something called Sabres I believe.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:55 PM

11 posts, read 28,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
The following leagues field teams in Chicago/suburbs:

p.s. Just saw that you are moving next summer.... Tryouts for all but the HPHL league will be in late summer (warmup skates typically begin early August). HPHL tryouts are in early June.
Thank you for this - important to know! Lots to figure out when moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs