Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2014, 04:24 AM

4 posts, read 6,906 times

Advertisements

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to offer any advice!

I am a single late 20's female professional going through a career change, and am looking to move closer to the city from the way, way southwest "fringe burbs". I have been thinking about the idea of Oak Park and am trying to get a feel for how I would fit in here, as I will know no one in the immediate vicinity. I understand that Lincoln Park is ideal for my type, but it is just too far from my family and friends, who are determined to remain in no-mans land forever. I also am looking for something safe and lively where I can meet others like myself, but affordable since I now have a second round of student loans to pay off.

Here are some questions I have and any feedback would be much appreciated!

1. Reasonable commute to either the western burbs or Chicago? Any major traffic cluster****s I should be aware of? (currently job hunting)
2. Reasonable commute to downtown/trendy nightlife? (NOT college style nightlife)
3. Everything I need would be in walking vicinity? All I really need seems to be there...couple of cheerful places for food and cocktails that aren't over crowded, walgreens and some food markets for little things, coffee...am I forgetting anything?
4. Since I've heard the parking sucks, and I'm too cheap and lazy to get the bulk of my groceries at Trader Joes and walk them home, would it be hard to get to the OakBrook Costco, Yorktown mall, or the super Target I saw on Mannheim for larger shopping trips?
5. So in other words, as long as I get a place with a dedicated parking spot, would it be safe to assume I could get by without ever having to park downtown, but still enjoy everything Oak Park has to offer?
6. Are there any walkable, decently priced, uncrowded fitness centers?
7. This is probably wishful thinking, but say I went out for an epic night on the town and came home after midnight, and thus had to take the 24 hour blue line, and then walk home alone and tipsy. I know this area is safe, but is it THAT safe?
8. Would I have things in common with other apartment dwellers? I am a healthcare professional who just finished my masters degree. I am hoping to look for a 1 bedroom with parking for about $1000. Is this typical for young professionals, or would that be considered low income housing with sketchy residents? (I don't mean to offend anyone by that, but coming from the middle of nowhere where land and taxes are so cheap, ALL renters in my area are unscrupulous people, and I know nothing about more urban areas, that is an honest question.)

9. And most of all, is this a good place to meet other singles I would have things in common with? I am definitely not talking about hook ups at some bar scene. Just responsible, educated adults that are ready to settle down but still have fun!

Thanks again!

And please, please, please, do not make this into an argument about politics or schools. I am asking this because that is the only information I found, and it has nothing to do with the information I am seeking. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 11:56 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Parking at the Trader Joes in Oak Park is plentiful and free (for the first hour at least). Also, I don't know why people complain about parking in downtown Oak Park. There is always parking available, you just may have to park in the parking deck and pay $1-2. Often however, you can park on the street or in the surface lot. Some people here are willing to spend 1 hour of driving time, and $5 of gas and depreciation to save $2 in parking. I don't get it.

There is a Costco in Melrose Park at North Ave and 1st Ave. There is also a brand new Costco at Harlem and 26th, so no need to go to Oak Brook for Costco. Oak Brook Mall has a lot of high end retail that Oak Park lacks, however.

What do you consider a reasonable commute? In the AM, its about 15-20 minutes of highway driving to Oak Brook, maybe 30-40 minutes returning in the PM as there's always, always a huge back-up inbound from Mannheim to Harlem.

For 1000/month, you'll be looking at pre-war buildings generally, but this is within the normal range of 1 bedrooms (i.e. not considered low-income housing.) There are lots of medical students, nursing students, residents, etc who work at Loyola and rent in Oak Park. That being said, its nothing compared to Lincoln Park, but as long as you have reasonable expectations, it should be okay.

I wouldn't walk alone tipsy at night anywhere in Chicago or Oak Park.

What do you consider decent priced for health clubs. The highest end club in Oak Park is FFC. Its reasonably new and has all the bells and whistles you'd expect. Its pricey. There's the YMCA which is cheap but kinda old.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:22 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftrn View Post
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to offer any advice!

I am a single late 20's female professional going through a career change, and am looking to move closer to the city from the way, way southwest "fringe burbs". I have been thinking about the idea of Oak Park and am trying to get a feel for how I would fit in here, as I will know no one in the immediate vicinity. I understand that Lincoln Park is ideal for my type, but it is just too far from my family and friends, who are determined to remain in no-mans land forever. I also am looking for something safe and lively where I can meet others like myself, but affordable since I now have a second round of student loans to pay off.

Here are some questions I have and any feedback would be much appreciated!

1. Reasonable commute to either the western burbs or Chicago? Any major traffic cluster****s I should be aware of? (currently job hunting)
2. Reasonable commute to downtown/trendy nightlife? (NOT college style nightlife)
3. Everything I need would be in walking vicinity? All I really need seems to be there...couple of cheerful places for food and cocktails that aren't over crowded, walgreens and some food markets for little things, coffee...am I forgetting anything?
4. Since I've heard the parking sucks, and I'm too cheap and lazy to get the bulk of my groceries at Trader Joes and walk them home, would it be hard to get to the OakBrook Costco, Yorktown mall, or the super Target I saw on Mannheim for larger shopping trips?
5. So in other words, as long as I get a place with a dedicated parking spot, would it be safe to assume I could get by without ever having to park downtown, but still enjoy everything Oak Park has to offer?
6. Are there any walkable, decently priced, uncrowded fitness centers?
7. This is probably wishful thinking, but say I went out for an epic night on the town and came home after midnight, and thus had to take the 24 hour blue line, and then walk home alone and tipsy. I know this area is safe, but is it THAT safe?
8. Would I have things in common with other apartment dwellers? I am a healthcare professional who just finished my masters degree. I am hoping to look for a 1 bedroom with parking for about $1000. Is this typical for young professionals, or would that be considered low income housing with sketchy residents? (I don't mean to offend anyone by that, but coming from the middle of nowhere where land and taxes are so cheap, ALL renters in my area are unscrupulous people, and I know nothing about more urban areas, that is an honest question.)

9. And most of all, is this a good place to meet other singles I would have things in common with? I am definitely not talking about hook ups at some bar scene. Just responsible, educated adults that are ready to settle down but still have fun!

Thanks again!

And please, please, please, do not make this into an argument about politics or schools. I am asking this because that is the only information I found, and it has nothing to do with the information I am seeking. Thank you.
Oakparkdude's got it right. I'd add that Oak Park is pretty good for access to employment centers. The Eisenhower's not perfect but is one of the least cluster****d of all the area's major expressways. And Madison can get you to Chicago pretty fast and Roosevelt and Cermak can get you west if you want to avoid it.

Single's scene isn't going to be like the City but there are a lot of young professionals and grad students in Oak Park, as well as some pretty fun bars that draw a more mature crowd (Kinderhook, Avenue Ale House, Poor Phil's, etc.).

If you want walkability you probably want to be by one of the business districts like Lake St. or Harrison St.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:48 PM

Thank you guys so much! I definitely appreciate the info on parking and getting around!

15-20 minutes to get to shopping is perfect, that's what I'm used to. I certainly don't need high end shops, just groceries and maybe a seasonal trip to any nearby mall for clothes.

By pre-war building, do you mean a non-renovated building? As far as I know, all buildings around there are old besides that one highrise, which is pretty pricey. So old building is fine, as long as it's updated and modern in the actual apartment. Do you think that's an option in my price range?

Does anyone know if there is a good presence of Uber cars or cabs in case I come home from downtown late at night?

I like the Lake st. district. I only briefly drove around on a Friday night when I had nothing better to do, it seemed pretty much my speed.

Right now I am at the park district near me and it is $35 a month for literally everything you could ever dream of doing. I like swimming and having a hot tub and steam room to relax in, is there anything like that available, and does anyone know for how much?

Thanks again!

Old 09-21-2014, 07:27 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Just browsing Craiglist, here's a few options I found.

Pre-war meaning older building. It can have varying degrees of renovation, but typically won't have elevator, central air, or in-unit W/D. There are also a handful of 1950-1960 buildings which may have an elevator but will still not have central A/C or in-unit W/D.

Here's an example of a post-war construction building near downtown OP for $1075: Beautiful & Large 1-BR Apt Great Location include Parking

This one is across the street from TJ:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/apa/4679030189.html

Here's a pre-war apt, also near downtown OP for $950 (but probably doesn't have parking):
Huge 1 Bed In Oak Park! Ht Incl!

Check out the YMCA in Oak Park (West Cook YMCA - West Cook YMCA) and FFC Oak Park (Oak Park - Fitness Formula Clubs). There's also Midtown Athletic Club (Midtown Athletic Club Oak Park) and the Park District of Oak Park (Home Page | The Park District of Oak Park).

In terms of taxis, any taxi in Chicago will take you to Oak Park.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:39 PM

Oh my gosh, that 1st apartment looks absolutely perfect! That is exactly what I am looking for! I can't believe how helpful you are! I actually prefer those types of buildings because I absolutely despise the idea of living on someone's used carpet lol.

Do you know if there are any hidden energy sucks in certain types of buildings that would cause a high electricity bill?

Are older buildings any better insulated for sound, or am I doomed to live on the top floor if I want to get any sleep?

Window air is fine, I have a friend with that and it's always super cold in her place. Laundry in the basement is fine, as long as it's in the same building, that's typical, right?

This may be a really stupid question, but with shared laundry, is it safe to leave your clothes in the washer/dryer and go back upstairs? Or do you have to sit down there with them so they don't get stolen, like in college? Hopefully laundry rooms are usually locked, or are panty thieves something to be concerned about?

And I love Midtown Fitness! I went to the one in Willowbrook when I had school near it, and I loved it!

Thanks again!!!!

Old 09-22-2014, 08:54 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Do you know if there are any hidden energy sucks in certain types of buildings that would cause a high electricity bill?
Yes, and you found it yourself right here...

Quote:
Window air is fine, I have a friend with that and it's always super cold in her place.
Window units will really increase your summer electricity bills. More than central air. Also, electric dryers if you have one in your unit. And electric stoves/ranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs