Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 07:36 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,863,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post
Finally, what are your thoughts of Lake Ellyn area vs. closer to town? Can you further separate the great living areas of GE?

Thanks,

Dandiday
The blocks around Lake Ellyn are definitely the most desirable in town, and most are still walkable to the downtown area, unless you get too far north and east. Forest Glen is a great elementary school too. The lake was created in the 19th Century by blocking off part of the Du Page River, so that part that floods the worst is the low area between Lake Ellyn and the Du Page River, off to the north. The neighborhoods to the east and west are up quite high on hills, so flooding is unlikely to be an issue there.

If you are only looking at the part of Glen Ellyn north of Roosevelt Road (which probably has 2/3 or 3/4 off all single-family houses that are actually within village limits), there are four elementary schools that serve four quadrants, all in District 41. Forest Glen and Ben Franklin are the elementary schools with the highest test scores, but the are also the least diverse. Abraham Lincoln is a little more diverse than those two because it buses in some apartments from near the Glendale Heights border (and it has a program that helps foreign language speakers, which I actually think is good for the kids to be exposed to). And Churchill is the most diverse and has the lowest test scores. Some people with kids avoid the area that feeds in to Churchill. Then all four schools feed in to the same middle and high schools.

So, looking at the area north of Roosevelt, there aren't really any bad areas... But the far northwest side feeds in to Churchill of town has some smaller, less-grand houses (which are quickly being torn down and replaced). And then the southwest section immediately around the YMCA has a lot of ranchy houses that are repetitive and haven't held value as well as the more charming blocks of older homes. But they are priced appropriately so.

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 11-17-2014 at 07:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 07:56 AM

671 posts, read 691,976 times
Red face Our parameters have changed...again!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
The taxes in the towns listed are all going to be high. You are not going to find desirable places in the western suburbs that have "low" taxes. I suggest looking into several towns and focusing on a search there. All the places listed are nice. Wheaton and Glen Ellyn would be my top choices. I would not buy a house with bedrooms in the basement....just not my preference and would maybe be hard to resell. I'd stick away from any unincorporated areas.
Thanks, Toria!

DH and I spent all weekend pouring over the links, taking notes on the suggestions, and searched/compared the various towns and houses.

As such, our parameters are ever-changing with the new data, as well as the realization that taxes will be higher across the board.

Soooo, we've now significantly raised our budget to 800+, trying to keep an eye on properties that may come down a bit. Better "instant equity", from the recent sales and pendings we've identified this way. (yikes!)

But, we're trying to stay away from the recent rehab or flips, as we don't know the state of the house beforehand, nor the "sins" that were hidden! Is there a link anyone knows about, where we could delve further into the sales history of the house?

We're going to now focus first on La Grange, Hinsdale, Western Springs, and possibly Downers Grove...mostly because of the driving distance. DH NOW tells me he wants to stay under 30 minutes driving time. LG would be the obvious first choice, although pickin's are slim there, now. There are 2 houses that are pending, one is my absolute dream home!

Take a look at it, and please give me any comments:

https://www.redfin.com/IL/La-Grange/.../home/14064131

Our new parameters are;

3+ beds, at least 2 baths, 3 living/dining areas above grade, period house with updates done along the way, perhaps one or more of a bonus room/den/extra bedroom/mud room/foyer/sun or 4 season room/porch. So, we're looking for 9+ rooms above grade...10-12, the better. Finally, a basement, either finished or unfinished. An extra bedroom and kitchenette in the basement is a bonus.

***This house above has everything on our list and more...plus I LOVE LOVE LOVE the character!!! The wood trims and stained glass windows are superb!

Now, if we did purchase a period home that needed updates or reno, does anyone have ANY idea what it would (approximately) cost? Things like the mechanicals...electric updates, HVAC (or boiler, etc.), plumbing? What about installing a small powder room within a space? Reno the kitchen with all new cabinets/appliances/floor? Anything else I'm missing?

Another MAJOR question...can anyone recommend a knowledgeable realtor for each of the following: Hinsdale, Western Springs, and Downers Grove? I'd like someone who grew up in each of the areas, and works there exclusively. Someone who also may be savvy about renovating, or at least know about the cost, and someone who's aggressive in negotiation and will really work hard with us?

Thank you all...and thanks for your patience as we learn, and are constantly changing our parameters!!!

We'll figure this out...

Cheers,

Dandiday

Old 11-17-2014, 08:01 AM

Thumbs up Great info!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The blocks around Lake Ellyn are definitely the most desirable in town, and most are still walkable to the downtown area, unless you get too far north and east. Forest Glen is a great elementary school too. The lake was created in the 19th Century by blocking off part of the Du Page River, so that part that floods the worst is the low area between Lake Ellyn and the Du Page River, off to the north. The neighborhoods to the east and west are up quite high on hills, so flooding is unlikely to be an issue there.

If you are only looking at the part of Glen Ellyn north of Roosevelt Road (which probably has 2/3 or 3/4 off all single-family houses that are actually within village limits), there are four elementary schools that serve four quadrants, all in District 41. Forest Glen and Ben Franklin are the elementary schools with the highest test scores, but the are also the least diverse. Abraham Lincoln is a little more diverse than those two because it buses in some apartments from near the Glendale Heights border (and it has a program that helps foreign language speakers, which I actually think is good for the kids to be exposed to). And Churchill is the most diverse and has the lowest test scores. Some people with kids avoid the area that feeds in to Churchill. Then all four schools feed in to the same middle and high schools.

So, looking at the area north of Roosevelt, there aren't really any bad areas... But the far northwest side feeds in to Churchill of town has some smaller, less-grand houses (which are quickly being torn down and replaced). And then the southwest section immediately around the YMCA has a lot of ranchy houses that are repetitive and haven't held value as well as the more charming blocks of older homes. But they are priced appropriately so.
Hi LK!

As usual, GREAT information! We'll take notes, and appropriately alter our map!!!

If you read my latest post, DH now tells me he doesn't want a long commute time (after speaking with some of his future colleagues...). So, we're putting outlying towns on the back burner for now...although most of my "dream" homes are in GE!!! Love them, and the area!

So, you've provided such wonderful advice and information that we've used, and will keep as plan "B"...but our first choices are now La Grange, WS, and Hinsdale.

Interestingly enough, we've decided to significantly raise our budget...I just think there's so much more house for that price point, and possibly, better deals and/or "instant equity". At least that's what we've gleaned by pouring over all of the recent sales and pendings in various neighborhoods and towns!

So, if you have any comments on my latest post, please let us know!

Much appreciation!!!

Dandiday

Old 11-17-2014, 08:27 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,352,248 times
Dandi, I can typically get from my house in Wheaton to 290/1st Ave. in about 35 minutes during rush hour. I believe you could get from downtown Wheaton to Loyola in roughly the same amount of time, especially if you exit 88 at 22nd and take that straight over -- avoiding the Hillside strangler. The trip back shouldn't exceed 30 minutes; there are no choke points outbound. Obviously, Glen Ellyn would be shorter by a few minutes both ways.

Because I'm obnoxious and it's what I do, here's a Wheaton comp to the La Grange home -- it's $200k+ less asking price, $3k+ less annual tax, and walkable to all the same amenities:

712 N. Wheaton Ave WHEATON, IL 60187 | Redfin

Old 11-17-2014, 08:30 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,980,003 times
With your increased price range, it might be worthwhile to look at houses in River Forest as well.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:30 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,566,667 times
If you do not plan on a daily train commute I would add LaGrange Park, very similar to LaGrange itself, and frankly a bit easier shot to Loyola via surface roads...

Old 11-17-2014, 08:39 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,863,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you do not plan on a daily train commute I would add LaGrange Park, very similar to LaGrange itself, and frankly a bit easier shot to Loyola via surface roads...
Particularly the Harding Woods neighborhood, which is just north of downtown La Grange, walkable to the La Grange Metra stops, and quite charming. The 1950's neighborhoods in La Grange Park are more affordable but aren't nearly as nice.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:01 AM

Hi Guys!!!

Top o' the mornin' to you!!!

Thanks for the instant input! LK, H'worth, Chet, OPDude I again thank you for reading my thread and posting comments.

H'worth...hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

We had a great laugh reading your post (believe me...it helps. I have a monster headache juggling all of this data around in my head!!!). Thanks for the comic relief...and be as obnoxious as you wish - your posts, links, and this house you've posted all help.

Dang...ok. DH just looked at the bike paths, and was "sold". Also checked out the transit time via auto on gotransit.com...you're correct. 31 minutes w/traffic, 29 without.

Sooo, we'll still keep Wheaton in there. You're a great salesman! Can you recommend, then, an AWESOME realtor from Wheaton for us?

BTW, I also checked out Chicago Magazine and YoChicago about "best neighborhoods" with great schools, amenities, low crime, etc. and all of the towns we've been discussing are listed. So, GREAT JOB folks, as your assistance throughout this process have helped in a myriad of ways. (I STILL want to throw that party for y'all once we get settled...finally!)

Now, our schedules are incredibly crazy here...mostly with our kids' moving issues too, along with major "urgencies" with our kids and extended families. Stuff we have to assist with before we can even get out there in person to house-hunt.

However, I'm thinking I might have to let DH handle those, while I head out to Chicago-land to walk each town and start viewing houses in person. I don't want any more houses to get away from us...

So, if y'all (sorry...that's my "Texan"coming out...) could help us with GREAT realtor recommendations for Wheaton, Hinsdale, DG, WS, GEand La Grange, please DM me! Gotta get contacting them today!

H'worth, the house you posted was lovely...in one of our prior price ranges. Although, the living rooms were just a tad on the "tight" side, the arches and built-ins were lovely...as was the kitchen! It did say it may need a new roof, along with some updates, and the basement isn't finished. Do you have any idea what it would cost to finish out a basement nicely?

Thanks, everyone!

Have a blessed day...and hope it's warmer out there today for you. We had a very cold spell, but should be approaching 70 degrees today! Yay!
Cheers,
Dandiday

Old 11-17-2014, 09:46 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,352,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post
...DH just looked at the bike paths, and was "sold".... the house you posted was lovely... Although, the living rooms were just a tad on the "tight" side...
Here's a Glen Ellyn comp to the La Grange home -- bigger than the Wheaton home and just 2 blocks from the prairie path. Price is higher than the La Grange home, but it's still on-budget and taxes are only $1k more.

702 Hill Ave. GLEN ELLYN, IL 60137 | Redfin

Old 11-17-2014, 10:21 AM

Wink OK H'worth...keep em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Here's a Glen Ellyn comp to the La Grange home -- bigger than the Wheaton home and just 2 blocks from the prairie path. Price is higher than the La Grange home, but it's still on-budget and taxes are only $1k more.

702 Hill Ave. GLEN ELLYN, IL 60137 | Redfin
Oh, Holl1ngsworth, you're killing me. this is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! LOVE the wood finishes...very unique! Keep 'em coming. Any other GREAT houses, perhaps that came down in price from the 800's? Need a bit of work? Wheaten, and GE historic districts?

Now, for both Wheaton and GE, is there a link to a map for each of the downtowns and historic districts? I'd like to try to stay within these confines.

And again, I REALLY need recommendations on realtors! H'worth, could you DM me and tell me who you used? Were you happy with him/her?

Likewise, Lookout Kid for GE?

Chet, do you have anything further to add about my new price point and thoughts on a house priced at the mid-600's that might have dropped from 750K through 820K or so? Vs. my old price range of up to 550K?

Also, any further comments about buying a house with some or all of the reno done versus buying a house that we would reno? Is the price difference significant? Are there very strict rules from the historic societies on the reno processes and materials in Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Downer's Grove, Hinsdale, and Western Springs?

As usual, thanks in advance!!!

have a warm day,

Dandiday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs