Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 08:37 AM

2 posts, read 2,623 times

Advertisements

I'm under consideration for a job on the west side of Elgin near I-90. If I get the job, I'll be looking to rent, but I'm in my late 20s and single, so I want to live somewhere closer to Chicago so I have easier access to the city (preferably near Metra or CTA). I currently live in central Illinois with a 12-minute commute, with little traffic to speak of, so I don't want a nightmare drive to work. I've been told to look around Hoffman Estates and Schaumburg, and I've found a lot of options on Craigslist within a mile or so of the Woodfield Mall. What other places should I be looking at that are more accessible to Chicago, but still a reasonable commute to Elgin (I'd like to be no more than 30-45 minutes away)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 08:42 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
That's a tough one. I live on the east side of Elgin and have been commuting east bound on 90 and frankly, now that kids are back in school and people aren't taking vacations, the commute sucks. West bound isn't all that much better. I used to commute to Palatine. That might work for you, or Arlington Heights, which has a nice downtown. I wouldn't go further away than that.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:59 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Do you also want to live somewhere that has things to do nearby, or is access to Chicago your primary concern? There are a lot of safe suburbs close to Elgin that have decent Metra access to the city, but most of them are quite dull.

Since you are renting and not buying, you don't have to worry about the school districts as much, so this will help you out. Though better school districts probably have fewer "problem apartment buildings".

Old 08-28-2014, 10:18 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,344,668 times
Hoffman Estates and Schaumburg are very car-dependent and don't have Metra access.

Your best bets are downtown Arlington Heights or downtown Geneva. You'll have Metra access as well as plenty of walkable food and drink options for those weekends when you don't feel like making the trek into the city.

I just don't know the traffic sitch on Route 31 northbound (from Geneva) or I-90 westbound (from AH) during peak hours.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:14 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Hoffman Estates and Schaumburg are very car-dependent and don't have Metra access.

Your best bets are downtown Arlington Heights or downtown Geneva. You'll have Metra access as well as plenty of walkable food and drink options for those weekends when you don't feel like making the trek into the city.

I just don't know the traffic sitch on Route 31 northbound (from Geneva) or I-90 westbound (from AH) during peak hours.
While I would be the last to advocate living in Schaumburg, it does have a metra station.

Milwaukee District / West (MD-W) Station

Old 08-28-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
While I would be the last to advocate living in Schaumburg, it does have a metra station....
Yes I'm aware there is a "Schaumburg" station, but I believe the address is actually in Roselle. I took a train out of that station once... one of the most inconvenient stations imaginable. Certainly nowhere near the mall or other Schaumburg entertainment. Unless you're going to see a Flyers game....

...Google Maps marks the Fenz Road and Ryan Way entrances to the Schaumburg Metra as Roselle addresses.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Yes I'm aware there is a "Schaumburg" station, but I believe the address is actually in Roselle. I took a train out of that station once... one of the most inconvenient stations imaginable. Certainly nowhere near the mall or other Schaumburg entertainment. Unless you're going to see a Flyers game....
It's in Schaumburg, a suburb, and suburbs are typically car centric.

2000 S. Springinsguth Rd.
Schaumburg, IL
847-895-9260

Roselle has a station as well.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
No, it's in Schaumburg. Roselle has a station as well.

2000 S. Springinsguth Rd.
Schaumburg, IL
847-895-9260
Google Maps marks the Fenz Road (Springinsguth Road) and Ryan Way entrances to the Schaumburg Metra as Roselle addresses...

Old 08-28-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Google Maps marks the Fenz Road (Springinsguth Road) and Ryan Way entrances to the Schaumburg Metra as Roselle addresses...
Sounds like google maps is wrong.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Sounds like google maps is wrong.
Perhaps..... so Schaumburg wins by technicality.

AH, Geneva or even Palatine are still better options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs