Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 05:51 PM

4 posts, read 8,952 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm relocating to Waukegan IL for work at the airport. I have no knowlege of the area other then what I have read. What are some good areas to consider renting an apartment from? It would just be my fiance and I. I would like to stay somewhat in the area but wont be bothered if the commute is a little longer. I have heard of Zion being great and horrible at the same time. The most important thing is a safe friendly neighborhood. Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 07:19 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
The relative ease of commuting to a job in Waukegan from a desirable suburb like Libertyville makes this good option for the OP's situation.

Waukegan itself is largely a "rust belt" city with a large underclass while Libertyville has a nice mix of resturants & nightspots that attract younger singles, couples and even some families.

While Zion is smaller than Waukegan and perhaps has a greater percentage of near-to-the-lake real estate vs inland spots the overall level of former industrial sites and the underclass that may have once worked in them remain a persistent hinderance to redevelopment...

Old 07-31-2014, 07:07 PM

Thanks! I really appreciate all the info. Zion seems like the logical choice based on the proximity to the UGN for the time. I also have no idea on the cost of living in the area. I know living in South Dakota is a bit of a change and hoping to make the adjustment without any major hiccups.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:08 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,365,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msommer View Post
Thanks! I really appreciate all the info. Zion seems like the logical choice based on the proximity to the UGN for the time. I also have no idea on the cost of living in the area. I know living in South Dakota is a bit of a change and hoping to make the adjustment without any major hiccups.
I would be really careful about Zion. It has really slid from what is was decades ago. Some parts are downright dangerous.

You need to look to the west for a safe and decent area. Waukegan itself and the towns immediately south (North Chicago) and immediately north (Zion) are probably in the top 5 of least desirable places to live in Lake County.

I second Chet's recommendation of Libertyville, though it is certainly more expensive than Waukegan or Zion. Gurnee might be a reasonable compromise, but it has nowhere near what Libertyville can offer.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:20 AM

181 posts, read 449,544 times
Stay away from living in Zion, Waukegan, North Chicago(ugh!) Libertyville or Vernon Hills has the most to offer for things to do and both are easy commutes to Waukegan. Gurnee would also be good and is right next to Waukegan.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:25 PM

545 posts, read 1,485,583 times
You could also look across the border in Pleasant Prairie or Kenosha, WI. UGN is on the far north end of Waukegan. A commute from Libertyville or Vernon Hills could easily be 30-45 minutes with traffic. From WI - more like 15-20. Gurnee is a good option as well.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:52 PM

Thanks! I actually just started looking at Kenosha and the options up north, I think I will rule out Zion and Waukegan. is the traffic congested in the waukegan area? I assume the traffic dies down a bit the farther north you get of Chicago? I'm from the South Dakota so the amount of traffic will be something to adjust to.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:53 PM

As long as the OP does not choose a place in the extreme southern or western portions of Libertyville and plans a route to/from work that steers clear of Six Flags or mall traffic it will be easier to get to UGN than it would be from Wisconsin.

Kenosha and more rural areas like Pleasant Praire are nice enough options but it is worth trying to compare total of cost of lving factoring rent and income taxes on both sides of the State line.things are actually pretty sparse on either side of the line and if the OPs wants something other than an isolated tract development Linertyville is probably closer than the heart of Kenosha and despite some redevelopment in Kenosha the nightlife in Linertyville is likley going to be more appealing to anyone relocating becuase the mix of folks in similar situations working at Abbot labs adjacent to Libertyville is far more diverse.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:55 PM

545 posts, read 1,485,583 times
Traffic is generally worse going east/west than north/south. Grand Ave., especially west of 94, is very busy during rush hours. You didn't mention budget. Libertyville would certainly fit the bill as far as safety and things to do, but it can get pretty expensive. The commute wouldn't be too bad: 21 to 41 to Wadsworth Rd., but I'd still plan on it being 30 mins.

I agree that the Wisconsin options aren't going to be as appealing as Libertyville. But they'll certainly be cheaper total cost of living wise, even factoring WI's slightly higher income tax. It's not really fair to compare them though. Libertyville really is a top notch community so you're going to pay more to live there. PP is a nice community as well, but it's not in the same league. It does have some nice amenities like the RecPlex and there's plenty of shopping close by. It's certainly nicer than Zion or Waukegan. Just throwing it out there for the OP.

As an aside, I've lived in WI and now IL and the overall tax burden really isn't that much different. WI has a progressive income tax with higher rates than IL's flat 5%, but property, sales, and gas taxes are lower in WI and there's no tax on groceries. It ends up not nearly as big a difference as everyone makes it out to be, if at all.

Last edited by brian571; 08-05-2014 at 12:06 AM..

Old 08-05-2014, 01:00 AM

There are several routes much more efficient than Grand Ave...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs