Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 12:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,158 times

Advertisements

Hi Forum,

I'm considering to build in the Walnut Glen subdivision in Island Lake. Builder would be K. Hovnanian. We're not from the area so I'm curious about your opinion about this town, its surroundings and more. We've driven through the area quite a bit a few weeks ago, and it's obviously somewhat remote - however Crystal Lake and its Metra is not too far. Schools will become important in 5-6 years, but with my job it's not so certain we'd live there forever anyway. On one hand we liked the nature and better privacy of the lots (surrounded by conservation area), but we're also a little concerned with all the wetlands in the area because of mosquitoes, flood etc.
I'd appreciate any comments on location or builder.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 01:05 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Well I suppose there are folks that will jump at the chance to get "new construction" at a low price but I would caution against this.

Island Lake is not particularly desirable. Like many of the communities in Lake County it once was kind of a "summer vacation spot". Over the years more people have converted the "cottages" to year round living. As you might imagine in our climate this is not ideal and many of these cottages are rather inefficient. The kind of folks that rent out these places often are not very well off...

There is a real linkage between school quality and affluent parents. The history of Island Lake is of neither. https://www.city-data.com/city/Island-Lake-Illinois.html

If you are unsure of further relocation I would caution against new construction. It is rarely a good idea for situations like yours to buy into a tract development in this area. Inevitably the development will have some houses newer than yours available, perhaps even some vacant sites offered by the builder. Worst case they may be even cheaper than current prices. Even if there is positive price movement there is no guarantee that your model and the finishes you choose will be as desirable as whatever is the trend down the road...

Old 07-27-2014, 11:22 AM

179 posts, read 496,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary55 View Post
I'm considering to build in the Walnut Glen subdivision in Island Lake. Builder would be K. Hovnanian.
Don't do it. You would be committing a grave error.

Quote:
We're not from the area so I'm curious about your opinion about this town, its surroundings and more.
It's a craphole. The village board members attack and sue each other. The residents are scum, on par only with Waukegan.

Quote:
We've driven through the area quite a bit a few weeks ago, and it's obviously somewhat remote - however Crystal Lake and its Metra is not too far.
If you want to spend 20-30 minutes driving to the train, an hour on the train, and then 15 minutes walking to your job, then yeah, go for it.
Quote:
Schools will become important in 5-6 years, but with my job it's not so certain we'd live there forever anyway.
I can think of no better way to lose 100 grand than to build new construction in Island Lake with the intention of selling in five years.
Quote:
I'd appreciate any comments on location or builder.
Run. Run as fast as you can.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:01 AM

2 posts, read 3,158 times
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds pretty strong. I've seen houses there going for 250k, the builder homes are a tad more than that. Probably not a advisable then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs