Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 08:39 PM

18 posts, read 41,818 times

Advertisements

Try going to Redfin and searching closed sales less than 700k in your chosen burb and your desired home age. This will give you an idea of the likelihood you are going to get what you want in that suburb.

I can tell you right now that glenview, Wilmette, and hinsdale probably won't fit into those parameters.

Also, I saw your post about grade schools as well. We looked at tons of suburbs. I realized that it was easier to find a good high school and search backwards that way you have good schools k-12.

Just a thought-good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 08:52 PM

47 posts, read 81,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbsorbust View Post
Try going to Redfin and searching closed sales less than 700k in your chosen burb and your desired home age. This will give you an idea of the likelihood you are going to get what you want in that suburb.

I can tell you right now that glenview, Wilmette, and hinsdale probably won't fit into those parameters.

Also, I saw your post about grade schools as well. We looked at tons of suburbs. I realized that it was easier to find a good high school and search backwards that way you have good schools k-12.

Just a thought-good luck.
Great ideas, thanks so much! Would you mind sharing what suburb / area you ended up purchasing in? Just curious.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:40 PM

We purchased in Wilmette and we really love it here.

Have you looked at Glen Ellyn? I really loved it there. If I wanted to go west that was a contender, but I can't remember the high school details. I'm pretty sure you might be able to get something newish (last 10 years) in your price target.

Good luck!

Old 06-09-2014, 08:51 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
There are lots for sale In Arlington Heights just off Euclid, next to a church. It's west of Rand, East of Dryden. Don't know if it fits your budget, but D25 and Prospect HS certainly fit the excellent school criteria. There are also some tear downs north of Thomas and west of Arlington Heights Rd, that are D25 and Hersey HS.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:17 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbsorbust View Post
I can tell you right now that glenview, Wilmette, and hinsdale probably won't fit into those...
Hinsdale would be tough to shop for under $700k... but Glenview and Wilmette? Neither are very expensive towns, both very upper middle class. There should be plenty of inventory under $700k, even some under $500k.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 06-13-2014 at 11:00 PM..

Old 06-17-2014, 09:08 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
Joe Keim is building brand new luxury homes on Orchard off Butterfield Rd and also building in Legends off of Butterfield as well. Great school district. The homes though are pricey.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:26 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Boy, are they!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Joe Keim is building brand new luxury homes on Orchard off Butterfield Rd and also building in Legends off of Butterfield as well. Great school district. The homes though are pricey.
While I like Wheaton quite a lot and can maybe see somebody that wants to "move up" to a bigger / newer home but not totally uprooting their kids from schools, I don't see the prices being attractive to folks not already locked into town.

While it still is not as high as new construction in say Hinsdale or the nicest parts of Clarendon Hills nether is the greater Danada area as charming / convenient to trains as either of those town. Value of Hinsdale Central also tops any high schools in Wheaton or Glen Ellyn, and it will always be more "car centric" than even spots closet to the heart of Wheaton or Glen Ellyn to say nothing of towns along the BNSF...

Don't get me wrong, for move up buyers the Keim homes are gorgeous, but in the context of relocation -- not so much.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:03 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
While I like Wheaton quite a lot and can maybe see somebody that wants to "move up" to a bigger / newer home but not totally uprooting their kids from schools, I don't see the prices being attractive to folks not already locked into town.

While it still is not as high as new construction in say Hinsdale or the nicest parts of Clarendon Hills nether is the greater Danada area as charming / convenient to trains as either of those town. Value of Hinsdale Central also tops any high schools in Wheaton or Glen Ellyn, and it will always be more "car centric" than even spots closet to the heart of Wheaton or Glen Ellyn to say nothing of towns along the BNSF...

Don't get me wrong, for move up buyers the Keim homes are gorgeous, but in the context of relocation -- not so much.
Chet, I don't know how much time you have spent in either Wheaton or Hinsdale, but I think your comparison is off.

On train access: Many neighborhoods in Hinsdale are more than two miles from the Metra station in Hinsdale's downtown, while the most far-flung areas of Danada are about four miles from the train station in Wheaton's downtown. Many Danada areas are actually under two miles. While Hinsdale is "closer," neither distance is walkable and even the most far-flung areas of Danada only amount to an extra 5-6 mins on a bike or 1-2 mins in a car. You're splitting hairs on the "convenient to trains" argument.

On charm: I don't know what your qualifications for "charm" are -- but if egregiously large homes spilling over the sides of their lots and a small, rather bland downtown equate to "charm," Hinsdale is the winner. Fact is, there are many factors that might make people consider Wheaton more "charming." Charming could be a larger downtown, steeped in history. Charming could be an eclectic variety of homes, people and neighborhoods. Charming could be larger lots and more trees. Charming could be how well a neighborhood is complimented by nature. The Wheaton park district manages 800+ acres, and there are seven county forest preserves bordering Wheaton. Kline Creek Farm, St. James Farm, Cantigny and the Morton Arboretum all share borders with Wheaton. The downtown serves as the hub for all three branches of the prairie path! Good luck finding nature in Hinsdale with it's utter lack of green space.

On schools: While the Hinsdale school district is a value-added feature, schools there certainly don't "top" all Wheaton schools. Affluent students at Wheaton schools often score better than the affluent students at Hinsdale schools. For the people we are talking to, their children will most likely perform the same in Wheaton as they would in Hinsdale.

On wealth: While there are pockets of Hinsdale that are exceedingly wealthy, "Danada" neighborhoods have a median income equal to or greater than many neighboorhoods in Hinsdale and Clarendon Hills. Danada, where the above-mentioned Keim homes are being built, is not only one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in Chicagoland, but also the entire country. Heard of the Higley 1000? One of Danada's neighborhoods is on there and it tops neighborhoods in Hinsdale, Winnetka, Barrington, etc. http://higley1000.com/archives/716 (Ctrl+F "Wheaton")

Finally: Chet, you seem like you have endless knowledge regarding the city of Chicago and many close-in suburbs, but I think you have an impression of Wheaton that may be a little misguided. And while I will agree that Hinsdale serves as the go-to for most wealthy West-suburb relocators, Wheaton has always been an alternative for wealthy relocators wanting to avoid the white-bread, tear-down, keeping-up-with-the-Jones culture so prevalent in Hinsdale.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 06-17-2014 at 04:52 PM..

Old 06-17-2014, 05:51 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default COOL YER JETS buddy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Chet, I don't know how much time you have spent in either Wheaton or Hinsdale, but I think your comparison is off.

On train access: Many neighborhoods in Hinsdale are more than two miles from the Metra station in Hinsdale's downtown, while the most far-flung areas of Danada are about four miles from the train station in Wheaton's downtown. Many Danada areas are actually under two miles. While Hinsdale is "closer," neither distance is walkable and even the most far-flung areas of Danada only amount to an extra 5-6 mins on a bike or 1-2 mins in a car. You're splitting hairs on the "convenient to trains" argument.

On charm: I don't know what your qualifications for "charm" are -- but if egregiously large homes spilling over the sides of their lots and a small, rather bland downtown equate to "charm," Hinsdale is the winner. Fact is, there are many factors that might make people consider Wheaton more "charming." Charming could be a larger downtown, steeped in history. Charming could be an eclectic variety of homes, people and neighborhoods. Charming could be larger lots and more trees. Charming could be how well a neighborhood is complimented by nature. The Wheaton park district manages 800+ acres, and there are seven county forest preserves bordering Wheaton. Kline Creek Farm, St. James Farm, Cantigny and the Morton Arboretum all share borders with Wheaton. The downtown serves as the hub for all three branches of the prairie path! Good luck finding nature in Hinsdale with it's utter lack of green space.

On schools: While the Hinsdale school district is a value-added feature, schools there certainly don't "top" all Wheaton schools. Affluent students at Wheaton schools often score better than the affluent students at Hinsdale schools. For the people we are talking to, their children will most likely perform the same in Wheaton as they would in Hinsdale.

On wealth: While there are pockets of Hinsdale that are exceedingly wealthy, "Danada" neighborhoods have a median income equal to or greater than many neighboorhoods in Hinsdale and Clarendon Hills. Danada, where the above-mentioned Keim homes are being built, is not only one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in Chicagoland, but also the entire country. Heard of the Higley 1000? One of Danada's neighborhoods is on there and it tops neighborhoods in Hinsdale, Winnetka, Barrington, etc. http://higley1000.com/archives/716 (Ctrl+F "Wheaton")

Finally: Chet, you seem like you have endless knowledge regarding the city of Chicago and many close-in suburbs, but I think you have an impression of Wheaton that may be a little misguided. And while I will agree that Hinsdale serves as the go-to for most wealthy West-suburb relocators, Wheaton has always been an alternative for wealthy relocators wanting to avoid the white-bread, tear-down, keeping-up-with-the-Jones culture so prevalent in Hinsdale.

Listen PAL I did nothing to denigrate Wheaton. I like Wheaton. I have helped folks buy homes in Wheaton. When I used to sell real estate full time and own rental properties I spent many hours at the courthouse, even the old one. It is a LOVELY TOWN. Do some searches, I have defended people that attack Wheaton. I have worked with charities that have helped refugees settle in Wheaton, so SIMMER THE HECK DOWN...

I know Joe Keim, he builds nice houses. But the starting price for vacant lots in Legends is $600K, a new post-bubble high for such developments. I wish him luck in having a successful sellout of his development.

I know many people that would be thrilled to have a new Keim home in Legends so that they would not uproot their family.

It is entirely DISINGENUOUS to suggest that I did anything but state the obvious when it comes to the broad Danada area -- it is a highly car dependent part of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn and UNQUESTIONABLY LESS CHARMING than the core of either town centered on the UP-W line. Any one with even poor eyesight would instantly be able to state this. IT IS FRANKLY LAUGHABLE THAT ANYONE WOULD ATTEMPT TO DEFEND WHAT IS A QUINTESSENTIAL MCMANSION DEVELOPMENT as having any more charm than any spot along either the UP-W or BNSF line.

Speaking of train service, Hinsdale has THREE station with SUPER SPEEDY express service. UP-W -- https://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/...dule.full.html BNSF -- https://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/...dule.full.html

Similarly it is utterly ridiculous to suggest that Wheaton is any less a traditional destination than Hinsdale. That is like playing Boston against Philadelphia for "which was more important in revolutionary times"... Speaking of hypocrisy, I generally shy away from things like the Higley list but since you brought it up, at least be honest--
Wheaton area: Chicago Golf Club (Wheaton)
Mean Household Income: $258,094, Higley 1000 #728
0.6% Black, 2.0% Asian, 1.6% Latino and 93.7% Non-Hispanic White.

Hinsdale:
Robbins Park (Hinsdale)
Mean Household Income: $354,625, Higley 1000 #127
1.2% Black, 3.5% Asian, 3.1% Latino and 91.3% Non-Hispanic White.
North Hinsdale (Hinsdale)
Mean Household Income: $293,015, Higley 1000 #369
1.1% Black, 8.1% Asian, 3.7% Latino and 84.8% Non-Hispanic White.
The Woodlands (Hinsdale)
Mean Household Income: $289,182, Higley 1000 #398
0.5% Black, 4.3% Asian, 2.0% Latino and 90.6% Non-Hispanic White.
Southeast Section (Hinsdale)
Mean Household Income: $249,690, Higley 1000 #845
1.1% Black, 3.6% Asian, 3.3% Latino and 89.7% Non-Hispanic White.

Burr Ridge:
Ridge Club (Burr Ridge)
Mean Household Income: $426,442, Higley 1000 #37
1.4% Black, 9.0% Asian, 2.8% Latino and 85.5% Non-Hispanic White.
Burr Ridge-Willow Springs (Burr Ridge)
Mean Household Income: $267,183, Higley 1000 #607
1.1% Black, 4.6% Asian, 4.5% Latino and 87.9% Non-Hispanic White.

Clarendon Hills:
Clarendon Hills-Western Avenue (Clarendon Hills)
Mean Household Income: $262,715, Higley 1000 #659
0.8% Black, 2.9% Asian, 2.5% Latino and 92.8% Non-Hispanic White.

Oak Brook:
Trinity Lakes-Willowcrest CC (Oak Brook)
Mean Household Income: $338,903, Higley 1000 #156
0.6% Black, 39.4% Asian, 2.6% Latino and 55.4% Non-Hispanic White.

The Midwest Club-Ginger Creek (Oak Brook)
Mean Household Income: $263,263, Higley 1000 #649
1.4% Black, 40.2% Asian, 5.1% Latino and 48.8% Non-Hispanic White.

Uncle?

I have previously AGREED WITH YOU that the real value of elementary schools in EITHER Wheaton or Hinsdale (or Oak Brook,Western Springs, LaGrange, Elmhurst, Clarendon Hiils, etc...) for parents that very likely have done an exceedingly good job preparing their children for schools is really not worth nit picking over as it is a "chicken and egg" problem of such communites having a long history of success oriented families supporting learning from the earliest ages. That said the PERCEIVED VALUE of areas within the attendance area of Hinsdale Central (which includes charming parts of Clarendon Hills, all of Hinsdale, as well as parts of ultra low density Oak Brook, and odd zig zags in Westmont, Willowbrook and Burr Ridge...) is among the SMARTEST investment a relocating family can make for resale. A big part of the value relates to how the tax base of the high value areas of Oak Brook help to support the schools with ZERO impact for services due to being offices / shopping.

Finally if you think Hinsdale lacks "green space" you pretty clearly have NO KNOWLEDGE WHATSOEVER of the town as it has ENORMOUS amounts of park space, much of which is cleverly tucked away from clueless outsiders...

Synonyms for charming

adj captivating

absorbing
alluring
amiable
appealing
attractive
charismatic
cute
delightful
elegant
engaging

engrossing
fascinating
glamorous
graceful
inviting
likable
lovable
lovely
pleasant
provocative

sweet
bewitching
electrifying
enamoring
enthralling
entrancing
fetching
infatuating
magnetizing
pleasing

ravishing
seducing
tantalizing
tempting
titillating
winning
choice
dainty
delectable
delicate

desirable
eye-catching
irresistible
nice
rapturous
seductive
winsome

Last edited by chet everett; 06-17-2014 at 06:33 PM..

Old 06-17-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Hinsdale would be tough to shop for under $700k... but Glenview and Wilmette? Neither are very expensive towns, both very upper middle class. There should be plenty of inventory under $700k, even some under $500k.
The OP is asking for new construction. The cheapest new home (built within the last 10 years) in Wilmette is listed at $1,399,000. You can check this via redfin. If I'm somehow wrong, please show me the listings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs