Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 10:52 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momandme View Post
Another question:
Which is better District 203 v/s District 204, and why?
203 covers the more stable portion of Naperville while large parts of 204 are still developing.

The numerical ranking of the best performing HS in 204, Neuqua Valley, is a bit higher than eiother Naperville Central or North, but the the HSs in 204, Metea & Waubonsie, are a but lower. There are more elementary schools meeting / exceeding state standards 203 than 204. This mostly parallel the slightly more affluent profile of 203...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 03:35 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,269,902 times
Here's a thought: find an apartment in or close to downtown Arlington Heights within walking distance to the train. You will have good schools, be close to good hospitals and won't have to worry about driving to and from the train. You have a vibrant downtown within walking distance to an excellent library, parks, live theater, yet it quiets down at night, it is a suburb after all.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:23 AM

4 posts, read 4,765 times
Hi,

In my opinion you might be most happy with Elmhurst. Commute from Elmhurst is great pretty much in every direction you want to go. Schools are great!

Old 06-14-2014, 04:42 PM

42 posts, read 53,976 times
Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm checking them out.

Could anybody also tell me:
1. Any suggestions for about a week long stay (something like Extended Stay) for a family?
2. Any recommendations for car transportation companies? How long does it generally take to get a car from Dallas to Chicago?
3. How do I shortlist movers? Most reviews online have some or the other horror story attached. How do I know which movers are good? Any recommendations?

TIA

Old 06-14-2014, 05:27 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
I have driven a car from / to Dallas in one day several times. I would not recomend it with little kids in tow, but with a low fare air ticket at the other end that can be dealt with too...

For really nice "extended stay" accomodation I have used the Residence Inn in Oak Brook when I have refinished my floors. There is an oider one in Lombard that is fine too, probbably a little cheaper. There are also Extended Stay America spots in Lombard & Westmont as well as the more "value priced" InTown Suites in Downers Grove...

Most moving firms are part of some kind of "network", my recommendation, however, is to avoid the tempation to deal with a "network rep" that is online or at some generic 1-800 call center and track down the folks that actually RUN the local moving company that is nearest you. Good old fashioned yellow pages with a nice local address is helpful. The standard drill is to "guestimate" if you are full truck or they can cram a few other households in with your stuff. Things go badly if the estimate is way off. Ask the local guy to come out to your house, measure you bigger furniture and then give an actual CONTRACT not just an estimate... If they do decide you stuff is not filling the whole truck and they price accordingly then BE SURE your stuff is FULLY LABELED in a way that is going to make it very clear what is your load and what is not -- get like a GIANT "Sharpie 44002 Magnum Marker" in RED OR BLUE (google is your friend...) and write your last name on at least three sides of EVERY BOX.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:50 PM

Hi, i've got a lot of the cling wrap / sticky plastic wrap thingy left over from the move, which was used to wrap the mattresses and furniture. Is this the same as the ones you use for food? Can i use this leftover wrap for food wrap, or is it only meant for things?

Old 07-17-2014, 04:58 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,346,096 times
How much of a commodity is cling wrap in your house? I wouldn't risk it.

What town did you settle on?

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 07-17-2014 at 05:16 PM..

Old 07-17-2014, 06:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Several weeks' supply of kitchen cling wrap only costs a couple dollars at the local grocery store. Lord knows what kind of residual crud is all over the plastic wrap that covered your furniture, sat in a moving truck, sat in a storage facility, was handled by sweaty men, etc.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:27 AM

Ugh no!! Drover i meant unused still intact cling wrap. But again, u guys are right. Won't use not a big deal .

Old 07-18-2014, 08:45 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,947,006 times
You might also look into parts of Westmont. There is an Indian community there and a temple in Lemont which is not a bad drive. Metra service too. I know an Indian family member living there, she is a doctor. There are apartments and condos to rent, but there are some nice subdivisions on the south end of Westmont that are more like Naperville and its closer to get to the city. Lots of Indian shops around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs