Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,979 times

Advertisements

My husband and I would like to live in the city and commute to work in the suburbs. I will be working in la grange and he will be working in maywood. What's the commute time like? Sorry, I'm not from the area and have no clue about thr traffic
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 03:49 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,548,210 times
Depending on where EXACTLY you will be living and working this could be something kind of tolerable , like under 40 minutes, to something sorta pointlessly long -- over an hour.

I am going to assume that you are healthcare professionals as Maywood has serveral large hospitals near RooseveltRd and 1st Ave -- assuming you get an apartment in the greater "West Loop" that would be under 40 minute commute. Unfortunately the added distance to LaGrange Hospital, which is further west AND further south would almost certainly add at least 20 minutes to such a commute. Since moving closer to the LaGrange Hospital will almost certainly mean somthing like Pilsen that would LENGTHEN the commute to Maywood...

Instead it probably makes sense to consider Oak Park, a town that is technically just over the corporate limits of the city of Chicago but shares things like the CTA Green and Blue line El trains as well as offering a more urbanist style than other suburbs...

Old 05-12-2014, 06:57 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,567,568 times
Driving commutes in the city of Chicago can be quite long and longer still during inclement weather. Why spend the time commuting?

Old 05-13-2014, 07:31 AM

223 posts, read 663,715 times
Have you ruled out living in LaGrange? It has a lot of urban appeal and is close to the city- and for the two of you, much closer to work!

Old 05-13-2014, 07:44 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,857,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doglover5 View Post
Have you ruled out living in LaGrange? It has a lot of urban appeal and is close to the city- and for the two of you, much closer to work!
That's what I would do. Maybe if I were 25 it would be tougher to live in a more family-oriented place like La Grange, but the people I know in the 30-50 age range that live in La Grange really love it. It's not exactly Wicker Park in terms of night life, but it's not terrible--with a few decent bars and restaurants clustered in a great little downtown area.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:31 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,966,160 times
I recently visited La Grange and I really like it. I live in Wheaton and I'd say La Grange is really nice too..I would not mind living there myself. I like the idea that it is farther east than Wheaton and easier to jump into the city by either car or train. Its certainly not a "strip mall, no there there" place suburb like many are and it has a lot of appeal for someone like me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs