Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 07:32 PM

199 posts, read 536,433 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Los Angeles and hate it: expensive, conservative, and dumb; besides, it doesn't snow here.

I lived 10 years in SF and loved it until I was priced out of that city.

Being that there is no way I can afford SF any longer (I'm a full-time student). Even a city as dangerous as Oakland, CA is very expensive. Fresno is affordable and dumber than L.A.--scary.

I've made contact with UP in Urbana and received a rather positive response. I do not expect to see
Gay flags all over (I don't have one). I know, the Midwest can be "Leave it to Beaver" conservative but
solidarity in small cities can be a big voice.

Which locale is better for Gays, Champaign/Urbana or Bloomington? I don't need bars, I don't drink anything but water and OJ in the morning. I'm looking for a place that offers options that I may or may not want. Museums, Art galleries, Shopping malls (hate Wal-Mart), Theater, and Libraries float my boat. An area where persons won't start praying when they don't see a wife in my home. I lived in Mexico, they were funny, "she's single," she needs a husband," etc. If I were to marry, my spouse would be another male.

I know, a line aboves says, "Chicago."

Thanks

Old 05-06-2014, 08:59 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmanal View Post
I know, the Midwest can be "Leave it to Beaver" conservative but
solidarity in small cities can be a big voice.
And yet Iowa was the third state to legalize same sex marriage, with Illinois and Minnesota now in the mix.

I think you have a level playing field between the two locations since they're both college towns which tend to be populated by people more open in their thinking, but if UP is in Urbana, that could indicate a larger LGBT community and a starting point to connect with others since you'll be new in the area. I think there may be a few more things to see in Urbana, but Bloomington is only an hour away so you can visit museums, etc. in both locations.

Good luck, and do try to be more open-minded about the midwest!

Old 05-06-2014, 10:19 AM

369 posts, read 759,718 times
My impression is that C-U is better but I've never lived there so can't say for sure. However I do live in Bloomington-Normal, and while I'm far from the only gay person here, there isn't much in the way of LGBT culture. There's only one bar that proudly pronounces itself as a gay bar, and no community groups that I'm aware of outside of the student groups at the universities. It makes it hard to meet people. I've heard from several people that C-U is more liberal and has more of an LGBT presence.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:21 AM

Thanks MPowering1,

I'll be content if I can live the way I wish [under my own conditions] without henpecking
neighbors. Hopefully UP was well accepted in Urbana.

I've read that Bloomington is relatively safe but the 1 hour drive bothers me,
I prefer cycling or walking to my destinations. Again, this sounds more like
Chicago; a smaller, but vibrant city will suit me well.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:02 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,879 times
I would also pick Champaign-Urbana out of those options.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:28 AM

Talking I got it!

All the responders have my deepest gratitude. Looking at the voting patters in
SF, LA, Chicago, and C/U; I feel that Chicago may be a better place for me, C/U
is more conservative than LA--it won't work.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:40 AM

Default #resolved#

Thanks for all of the responses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs