Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2014, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,227 times

Advertisements

I am relocating for work from Boston, Ma to Willowbrook, IL by 6/16/14.

Flying out in a couple of weeks to look at the surrounding towns.

I have 3 kids under 5 (1) will be starting kindergarten either this September or next depending on Cutoff. (So decent schools would be a plus.)

I am looking for 3+ BR for no more than $1600. Under that would be great.

Doesn't seem impossible looking at Craigslist.

Found some single family houses in the $1500+ area in Down's Grove, Darien, & Woodridge.

Can anyone tell me about these areas?

As far as commute goes, I'd love to be no farther than 15 Miles max from Willowbrook.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 08:20 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,452,690 times
I am a little surprised you found lots of homes to rent at $1500/mo in those towns -- they are convenient to a job in Willowbrook and are mostly good places to raise kids with lots of things to recommend them.

My hunch is anything in Downers Grove will be rather distant from the train station and core of town as those factors tend to demand a premium, of course you won't need access to the train as Willowbrook will be a short drive away for work. That said the area closest to the train tends to also be the most charming and arguably the most "community oriented" but so long as you are not right next to something like an factory / light assembly district (which Downers Grove does a few...) it might be the top choice.

Next would probably be Darien, which is likely closest to Willowbrook. Mostly quiet with lots of subdivisions with 30+ year old homes but quiet and safe.

Woodridge is a similar to Darien in most areas but there are pockets with an abundance of rental buildings which tends to give those areas more turnover and makes them less desirable for folks who want to develop friendships / continuity for their kids...

Old 04-13-2014, 09:59 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,716,790 times
Of those three Downers Grove is probably the most family oriented of the three and has the best school system. Darien high school students would actually feed into Hinsdale South, Darien itself doesn't have a high school. Woodridge also does not have a high school as they feed into Downers North or South. Like chet said there are pockets of rentals to avoid and I would avoid any rentals along Janes between Boughton and 75th in Woodridge. Downers Grove has a historic downtown, is served by the train station, and prices can get high. If you are looking to take the Metra you can also go to nearby Lisle or Naperville. Darien and Woodridge do not have "downtowns" but Woodridge has been seeing slow growth, Darien has not.

To the OP if you are in need of assistance from a realtor who specializes in rentals please contact me.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,227 times
Mattywo85, I could def. use some help find a realtor in the area. If you have any in mind let me know.

I should be flying out in a couple of weeks to see the area. My move in day is around 6/9/14.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs