Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one of these 2 gems is the better?
Evanston 19 67.86%
Oak Park 9 32.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 10:32 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,938,332 times

Advertisements

Yes Evanston. The lake and University give it the edge. but Oak Park is good too for certain folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 12:19 PM

214 posts, read 546,018 times
I've lived in both. Very different places. Oak Park is kind of a small-town USA. Evanston is dominated by NU.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:55 AM

17 posts, read 26,056 times
They both are so similar yet very different because they both have their own distinction and flavor. It depends on individual prefrences...if someone likes lake, then evanston wins...if someone likes architechture, then Oak Park wins...if someone likes college town feel, then evanston wins, if someone likes proximity to expressways, then oak park wins....it depends on who you ask and what they prefer..

as per me, I love Oak Park...its got the city feel but close to expressways...saves me a ton of time...plus great public transport (metra + cta)...to me that means more than having a lake nearby. Time is a valuble comodity and if I prefer to spend less time in commute.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:16 PM

31 posts, read 65,782 times
Default Evanston & North Shore architecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by niketg23 View Post
They both are so similar yet very different because they both have their own distinction and flavor. It depends on individual prefrences...if someone likes lake, then evanston wins...if someone likes architechture, then Oak Park wins...if someone likes college town feel, then evanston wins, if someone likes proximity to expressways, then oak park wins....it depends on who you ask and what they prefer..

as per me, I love Oak Park...its got the city feel but close to expressways...saves me a ton of time...plus great public transport (metra + cta)...to me that means more than having a lake nearby. Time is a valuble comodity and if I prefer to spend less time in commute.
I don't like commenting on this type of thread, but I strongly disagree with the statement "if someone likes architecture, then Oak Park wins." Evanston has four historic districts listed on the National Register. If you were to rephrase your statement to say: If one is a Frank Lloyd Wright aficionado, then Oak Park would likely be your choice; that would be a more accurate statement. Many of Chicagoland's most prolific residential architects and architectural firms including, but not limited to, Tallmadge & Watson, Ernest Mayo, George Maher, Howard Van Doren Shaw, Daniel Burnham, Charles H. Thompson, and Holabird & Roche, were most prolific in Evanston and neighboring North Shore communities. Oak Park has lovely architecture beyond Frank Lloyd Wright, but I think there is a very strong case to be made that communities like Evanston's Lake Shore Historic District and Kenilworth outshine any residential district in Oak Park.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:15 PM

17 posts, read 26,056 times
Default agreed

I am not disagreeing with you. The point I am trying to make is when you compare oak park vs evanston, it really depends on a person's preference. They both have great architechture but its a combination of things that people prefer. for me, my parents live out in Wheaton so I find Oak Park a better place to live due to it being off of I-290. If my family lived in the northern burbs, then i would pick Evanston. Both towns are very similar yet very different which is why your preferences come into the picture.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:42 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niketg23 View Post
I am not disagreeing with you. The point I am trying to make is when you compare oak park vs evanston, it really depends on a person's preference. They both have great architechture but its a combination of things that people prefer. for me, my parents live out in Wheaton so I find Oak Park a better place to live due to it being off of I-290. If my family lived in the northern burbs, then i would pick Evanston. Both towns are very similar yet very different which is why your preferences come into the picture.
I know what you were saying and it sounded spot on. Both are great cities (Evanston and Oak Park are the best suburbs in Chicago metro IMHO, having lived/living in both respectively). I agree with everything in your original post.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:45 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I am not at all sure that Evanston does not have a more uniform distribution of residents as shown in this widely heralded map that uses data from the 2010 census -- The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S. Going by the map and the data from the census bureau (as well as reports from folks even like OffcrJim that frequents these boards...) the place with the most uniformly distristributed racial mix is probably Bolingbrook, which admittedly does not have a whole lot of traditional charm, but if a heterogenous racial distribution is what you are looking for ...
The map is fascinating but I have to question its accuracy given that there is quite a population (mostly white, apparently) in Calvary Cemetery.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:47 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,947,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
The map is fascinating but I have to question its accuracy given that there is quite a population (mostly white, apparently) in Calvary Cemetery.
I think the dots are randomly distributed within each census tract.
http://www.coopercenter.org/demograp...-Dot-Map#parks

Old 04-29-2014, 06:16 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
The census tracts themselves are not random. In fact they are not even static -- https://www.census.gov/geo/education...nsusTracts.pdf The cartographic and economic /poltical boundaries are revised over time and the Census bureau even has a system of allowing data comparisons to be made over time through the Census Tract Relationship Files...

The historical patterns of both Oak Park and Evanston are very likely quite static compared to both areas like Bolingbrook which is still growing as well as parts of Chicago where racial / economic shifts are happening.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:34 AM

20 posts, read 53,920 times
I would vote for Oak Park due to it's historic architecture, beautiful old homes and churches, great downtown, new library and close proximity to the city.

The only thing I don't like about Oak Park is the high property taxes but then again the property taxes are high in Evanston as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs