Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 03:28 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times

Advertisements

If history is any guide, schools tend to go low income pretty quickly once the number gets over a certain percentage. So there are not a lot of examples like Oak Park where you've got one group of high performing kids and one group of low performing kids pulling an overall score into the middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 07:39 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
If history is any guide, schools tend to go low income pretty quickly once the number gets over a certain percentage. So there are not a lot of examples like Oak Park where you've got one group of high performing kids and one group of low performing kids pulling an overall score into the middle.
It's now happening so quickly to such a large number of schools, though. So this "white flight" from public school systems ins't sustainable, and can't go on forever. The North Shore and private school infrastructure would never be able to support the influx of school flighters from all of the newly diverse suburban districts.

I'm realizing that pretty much every town has people who are concerned about the direction of public schools. Even Hinsdale and Winnetka have people who home school or send their kids to private schools due to concerns about negative influences in the public school system.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:19 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
The high cost of homes in Riverside will mean it won't go the way of other places that have declined. While there maybe some smaller homes there, not that many are. Also with wages depressed and the economy not really taking off much, its more likely that families from upscale city areas may choose places like Riverside or Berwyn to buy houses because the prices of the homes in most nice parts of the city are ridiculous and the schools have problems.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:55 PM

11 posts, read 24,022 times
My 2 thoughts- Tell me if Im off base.

I feel like the emergence of La Grange, is part of a larger movement of revitalization up the BNSF line towards the city. I think more young families stayed in the city because of the crash and found out that not only was it not bad to have kids in the city but actual quite nice. Still as these kids grow older or more appear the prospect of bad schools and high privates school tuition is now forcing these families out. I think Brookfield, Riverside and Berwyn will become more attractive because these young families value access to the city. I think LaGrange's emergence is partially a product of this group's actions and a sign of things to come up the line.

I also think that the older riverside population turning over these outdated but unique and well made homes on nice size lots is exactly what these young families who grew up watching HGTV and DIY channels are looking for in a 1st or 2nd home.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:59 AM

Yes Riverside has very unique homes that might appeal to those that would look in older sections of the city. It certainly is not cookie cutter. And its easy to get into the city from there because its relatively close. I think the huge prices in the city in the more desirable neighborhoods is also what will drive people out. I look at red fin and you can get a two flat for half the price of a similar property in the city. This is mostly in Berwyn because Riverside is mostly SFH. Solidly built and spacious bungalows are cheaper too and its a safer area than some areas with reasonably priced houses in the city. Good access to transportation.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:47 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butkusrules View Post
My 2 thoughts- Tell me if Im off base.

I feel like the emergence of La Grange, is part of a larger movement of revitalization up the BNSF line towards the city. I think more young families stayed in the city because of the crash and found out that not only was it not bad to have kids in the city but actual quite nice. Still as these kids grow older or more appear the prospect of bad schools and high privates school tuition is now forcing these families out. I think Brookfield, Riverside and Berwyn will become more attractive because these young families value access to the city. I think LaGrange's emergence is partially a product of this group's actions and a sign of things to come up the line.

I also think that the older riverside population turning over these outdated but unique and well made homes on nice size lots is exactly what these young families who grew up watching HGTV and DIY channels are looking for in a 1st or 2nd home.
No, you're not off base. I think that's one description of what's been happening. The traditional "go west" mentality is over, due to high gas prices, changing tastes of newer homebuyers, and other factors. I see decay happening in exburbs and revitalization in inner-ring suburbs.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:29 PM

I've recently become familiar with suburbs like Bloomingdale, Carol Stream, and Roselle. In 2014 these are still nice places to live, but they are exactly the types of places that seem to be losing some luster since the 1990s. Personally, I feel 100 times better about Riverside than many of these other characterless suburbs that fill in areas between desirable Metra lines.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:08 AM

I don't think Bloomingdale, Carol Stream or Roselle will lose any luster. There are always going to be people that want to live in places like that. Bloomingdale has quite a few upscale homes, and I was surprised at how much redevelopment has happened in Roselle. I think Glendale Heights, Streamwood, and some other lower tier suburbs might have more to worry about. Places where there is no ambience and lots of cheap tract houses were put up may fair worse.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:25 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Wha???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I don't think Bloomingdale, Carol Stream or Roselle will lose any luster. There are always going to be people that want to live in places like that. Bloomingdale has quite a few upscale homes, and I was surprised at how much redevelopment has happened in Roselle. I think Glendale Heights, Streamwood, and some other lower tier suburbs might have more to worry about. Places where there is no ambience and lots of cheap tract houses were put up may fair worse.

Are you suggesting that Bloomingdale, Carol Stream or Roselle are other than "[p]laces where there is no ambience and lots of cheap tract houses were put up"???

Old 02-18-2014, 07:33 AM

An enlightening drive is County Farm Road from North Avenue to Lake Street. It's the vinyl-siding expressway. You see the same shades of tan, gray, greige, and blue the entire way, with wood noise/view fences along the road. The homes seem to have mainly been constructed in the 1980's and 90's, though you see some older ranch house neighborhoods as well. Most are modest, and aren't McMansions by any means. But the "newness" of these homes is beginning to fade, and many of the schools that serve the area are mediocre. It's certainly not turning in to the ghetto in ten years or anything, but it's interesting to me to see homes that were constructed in my adult life start to move down the ladder a bit.

The retail areas of Bloomingdale are also worse for the wear. The Stratford Square Mall has many empty stores, and Army Trail Road has a lot of vacancies as you go west of Gary Avenue. I realize that retail areas all over the metro area are suffering since we overbuilt retail in the 90's before the internet boom, but it gives the impression of an area that's beginning to fall on tough times. And once the "newness" of these areas are decades in the past, what do they continue to offer new buyers? What will set them apart from the suburbs of the 1950s that have since lost appeal? Certainly not location and good schools, which have saved many an older suburb.

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 02-18-2014 at 07:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs