Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 04:59 PM

172 posts, read 316,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbuck View Post
Frankfort is a beautiful area but it's definitely a bit out of the way. Any further southwest than frankfort and you are in the rural suburban fringe area. So frankfort is right on the line. If frankfort wasn't out of the way you wouldn't see gorgeous homes listed in frankfort for 400k. That would easily sell for over a million in say burr ridge. Location, location, location. That being said, I think Frankfort has huge potential for property value increase if the market overheats again.
Agree. Parts of burr ridge are not to bad, it's hinsdale that gets really extreme for house prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 07:37 PM

217 posts, read 581,061 times
I belive the Flossmoor FD is set up as a volunteer organization, the FF's may get paid a small amount but that is it. As for the medic units they are a private (for profit) company that works out of the firehouses and get paid from the company they work for.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:50 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lud Kissel View Post
I belive the Flossmoor FD is set up as a volunteer organization, the FF's may get paid a small amount but that is it. As for the medic units they are a private (for profit) company that works out of the firehouses and get paid from the company they work for.
Well, dude told me he worked more than 40 hours that week.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:
It's more of a children's library and offers lots of activities on a daily basis throughout the year for local parents. It's a really cool looking building. Nice on the inside also. That's the concept of the flossmoor library and I really don't think it was never intended to be a a full research library. Homewood has a larger library with a wider selection of books and services. And many small affluent suburbs like flossmoor have smaller libraries. Or no libraries at all and just share with a neighboring community.
What a bogus excuse.. The Park Forest Library definitely helped keep me out of trouble when I walked home from school my senior year in high school. I liked to read and also I didn't have internet connection at my house at the time. So the Flossmoor Library is primarily for "children" and "parents," huh? It's not for other adults and it's not even for teenagers?

You're right about the Homewood library. But that's all the way over by 183rd Street - north of it, evem. The Flossmoor library is the one that's most convenitent for Flossmoor residents AND H-F High School students.. But it's for "children,"?

...You're actually failing in trying to paint Flossmoor as a good "family" town, Allen.

Last edited by urza216; 02-04-2014 at 01:23 AM..

Old 02-04-2014, 11:22 AM

119 posts, read 299,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
What a bogus excuse.. The Park Forest Library definitely helped keep me out of trouble when I walked home from school my senior year in high school. I liked to read and also I didn't have internet connection at my house at the time. So the Flossmoor Library is primarily for "children" and "parents," huh? It's not for other adults and it's not even for teenagers?

You're right about the Homewood library. But that's all the way over by 183rd Street - north of it, evem. The Flossmoor library is the one that's most convenitent for Flossmoor residents AND H-F High School students.. But it's for "children,"?

...You're actually failing in trying to paint Flossmoor as a good "family" town, Allen.
Wow, I just don't think the flossmoor library is a place where I would expect to see a lot of adults with no kids just hanging out. Plenty of teenagers, parents with kids, and seniors. Nice things for kids to do there (teens studying). Although, I rarely if ever have the time or need to just hang out at any library. SO, I could be wrong. But if I needed to stop in at a library it probably would be the homewood library. This goes to the point why a small community like flossmoor has such high taxes. Everyone wants a ridiculous amount of services and has an unrealistic expectation of just about every service they think should be provided for on the public dime. I am sure flossmoor could have much lower property taxes if expectations for public services were more reasonable.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:43 PM

8 posts, read 14,734 times
Default fcasamento

Little late to the conversation, nevertheless, we moved to Frankfort from Ohio about three years ago. Married with three kids. We narrowed our search to Orland Park, Tinley Park and Frankfort. Yes, Frankfort is getting far south and yes the taxes are high, but:

1) The deals on housing couldn't be beat in Chicagoland, especially for higher end homes. We bought a beautify 4,000 square foot home built in 2005 for $485,000. In sold brand new for $680,000.

2) The schools are excellent. Better than Tinley, although Orland Park has very good schools as well.

3) While taxes are high, I see them just as high and higher in other affluent Chicago suburbs. In fact, the owner before us contested the taxes, and we did as well. These efforts reduced the taxes from $18k to $13 a year.

4) This is subjective, but we like the lack of big stores/malls. It's easy to drive to Tinley, Orland or New Lenox for more shopping choices.

5) While no metra stop, it's easy to drive to Tinley and take train to the financial district. Or, drive to Richton Park or Matteson and take train to Millennium Station (Wacker and Michigan).

With all this said, we would have been very happy in Orland Park. The fact that it is 10 miles closer to Chicago would have been nice. But the housing deals just couldn't be matched … and hopefully the upside if/when housing appreciates in Frankfort.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Wow, I just don't think the flossmoor library is a place where I would expect to see a lot of adults with no kids just hanging out. Plenty of teenagers, parents with kids, and seniors. Nice things for kids to do there (teens studying). Although, I rarely if ever have the time or need to just hang out at any library. SO, I could be wrong. But if I needed to stop in at a library it probably would be the homewood library. This goes to the point why a small community like flossmoor has such high taxes. Everyone wants a ridiculous amount of services and has an unrealistic expectation of just about every service they think should be provided for on the public dime. I am sure flossmoor could have much lower property taxes if expectations for public services were more reasonable.
Yeah, the point of my post was just that the Flossmoor Library needs to be expanded. Because it IS kinda small and pathetic.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcasamento View Post
Little late to the conversation, nevertheless, we moved to Frankfort from Ohio about three years ago. Married with three kids. We narrowed our search to Orland Park, Tinley Park and Frankfort. Yes, Frankfort is getting far south and yes the taxes are high, but:

1) The deals on housing couldn't be beat in Chicagoland, especially for higher end homes. We bought a beautify 4,000 square foot home built in 2005 for $485,000. In sold brand new for $680,000.

2) The schools are excellent. Better than Tinley, although Orland Park has very good schools as well.

3) While taxes are high, I see them just as high and higher in other affluent Chicago suburbs. In fact, the owner before us contested the taxes, and we did as well. These efforts reduced the taxes from $18k to $13 a year.

4) This is subjective, but we like the lack of big stores/malls. It's easy to drive to Tinley, Orland or New Lenox for more shopping choices.

5) While no metra stop, it's easy to drive to Tinley and take train to the financial district. Or, drive to Richton Park or Matteson and take train to Millennium Station (Wacker and Michigan).

With all this said, we would have been very happy in Orland Park. The fact that it is 10 miles closer to Chicago would have been nice. But the housing deals just couldn't be matched … and hopefully the upside if/when housing appreciates in Frankfort.

Frankfort schools, well at least HS has surpassed orland. Specifically d157c. Lincoln way east act scores are same as LT in burr ridge and they have been increasing last few years...just read an article on it. Carl Sandburg in orland park has regressed some. I have a couple of professionals I work with in orland considering moving down to frankfort. Plus frankfort has a more exclusive and affluent feel then orland, the zoning and village building codes requires all brick and stone for all businesse, the quaint downtown is very nice., the metra as You pointed out is closer to frankfort then It would b if in orland, new businesses opening all the time, and the stagnant subdivisions during the crash are now picking back up again, new home construction is noticeably on the rise and house prices are increasing. Those gorgeous houses for 400k post crash are now creeping up into the high 400's and 500's.. New subdivisions of 40 or more lots have started near layaway where houses will start at 500k and go upto 1million. The taxes are insanely high but I think that's kept a more affluent higher income group of people in frankfort and paradoxically protected frankfort from going into decline during the phase of rampant foreclosures/housing crisis. It's back on the upswing now and looking very positive, the people of the village are very involved in the town and schools. Town board and school board meeting are packed. The park district is excellent and a number of well known festivals such as the frankfort fall fest.

The Lincoln way east cheerleaders just won the state championship.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:42 PM

217 posts, read 581,061 times
Do you feel you are getting your moneys worth for $13k a year in taxes?

Old 03-14-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lud Kissel View Post
Do you feel you are getting your moneys worth for $13k a year in taxes?
I do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs