Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 04:53 PM

64 posts, read 162,920 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm looking at apartments in the 700 block of North Austin. Is that area safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 05:45 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,445,845 times
Compared to what?

There are certainly far safer more desirable spots on the opposite (west) edge of Oak Park, but compared to the blocks east into Chicago it is much less likely to have violent crime...

Old 01-22-2014, 10:16 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,819,814 times
I'm not a big believer in the idea that the blocks in eastern Oak Park east of Ridgeland should be avoided. I've known several people over the years who have lived east of Ridgeland, and they all loved living there. But I personally would want at least a block or two from that northern stretch of Austin Blvd, where one of the most violent neighborhoods in Chicago is literally across the street.

I've had a few friends who lived ON Austin Blvd in the 1990's, when crime rates were higher than they are now, and they didn't have any problems whatsoever. But they all lived further south across from Columbus Park, and the park provides a little bit of a buffer.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:06 PM

214 posts, read 546,538 times
I'm guessing since you're asking, you're crime averse. I would avoid living right on Austin Ave. A couple of blocks away is OK........

Old 01-24-2014, 12:14 PM

424 posts, read 468,388 times
I don't think it's that bad but you'd probably prefer to live further west. There's more stuff to do further west anyway. Or Harrison Street is a good choice for a renter too.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:53 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,788,020 times
It comes down to personal comfort level, and what you're use to. Being that Austin Blvd is the border, you get a little more spill over in the form of crimes of opportunity, but saying that some people like living there and don't feel unsafe. Street smarts, awareness, keep your strolls for the day time and generally locking your stuff up properly will go long ways to avoid trouble. Like LK mentions, the section of Austin Blvd across from Columbus Park and south of it is sort of buffered. I know that some of the buildings along Austin Blvd have had residents associations for a long time where neighbors look out for one another, so you might want to ask about the community within the building and how active they are together. The streets a block or 2 west are generally when it gets nicer, but that also has to do with the fact that Austin Blvd is a main artery, but people generally keep up with their lawns and maintenance, or at least the build associations do. In terms of amenities, the 700 block is close to Chicago Ave, and there are stores and some eateries along Chicago stretching from Austin Blvd to Ridgeland. Just depends on your personal comfort level. It's important to note that levels of crime in Oak Park have been dropping steadily for the past 41 years, and 2013 was not different. 2013 saw a 9% drop in crime compared to 2012. With the huffing and puffing that some people do about the proximity of Oak Park to Austin, it's really interesting to note how little of that actually spills over. Another thing is, there are sections of Austin that are not all that bad or actually desirable, like Galewood and some of "the Island". The worst of Austin is not even along it's western border, but further east.

Last edited by chitownperson; 01-24-2014 at 02:02 PM..

Old 01-24-2014, 02:42 PM

Default It ain't just luck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
It comes down to personal comfort level, and what you're use to. Being that Austin Blvd is the border, you get a little more spill over in the form of crimes of opportunity, but saying that some people like living there and don't feel unsafe. Street smarts, awareness, keep your strolls for the day time and generally locking your stuff up properly will go long ways to avoid trouble. Like LK mentions, the section of Austin Blvd across from Columbus Park and south of it is sort of buffered. I know that some of the buildings along Austin Blvd have had residents associations for a long time where neighbors look out for one another, so you might want to ask about the community within the building and how active they are together. The streets a block or 2 west are generally when it gets nicer, but that also has to do with the fact that Austin Blvd is a main artery, but people generally keep up with their lawns and maintenance, or at least the build associations do. In terms of amenities, the 700 block is close to Chicago Ave, and there are stores and some eateries along Chicago stretching from Austin Blvd to Ridgeland. Just depends on your personal comfort level. It's important to note that levels of crime in Oak Park have been dropping steadily for the past 41 years, and 2013 was not different. 2013 saw a 9% drop in crime compared to 2012. With the huffing and puffing that some people do about the proximity of Oak Park to Austin, it's really interesting to note how little of that actually spills over. Another thing is, there are sections of Austin that are not all that bad or actually desirable, like Galewood and some of "the Island". The worst of Austin is not even along it's western border, but further east.
The reason for this lack of spill over is that Oak Park cops spend a whole lot of resources for "enhanced enforcement" compared to CPD which is stretched thin.

Further, Cook Co State's Attorney, Anita Alvarez, a long time resident of affluent River Forest west of Oak Park, was instrumental in staffing a "field office" that also served the needs of Oak Park Police in providing a safe environment -- State's Attorney opens new Oak Park and Austin storefront office | Articles | News | OakPark.com

Old 01-24-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The reason for this lack of spill over is that Oak Park cops spend a whole lot of resources for "enhanced enforcement" compared to CPD which is stretched thin.

Further, Cook Co State's Attorney, Anita Alvarez, a long time resident of affluent River Forest west of Oak Park, was instrumental in staffing a "field office" that also served the needs of Oak Park Police in providing a safe environment -- State's Attorney opens new Oak Park and Austin storefront office | Articles | News | OakPark.com
That's a misrepresentation and over simplification of the issue. The violent crime in Austin happens in the form of turf wars between gangs etc... It happens from street corner to street corner, and typically does not go beyond that. Most of the crime in Austin is generated in Austin towards others in Austin, and there are no "targets" in Oak Park because no one is trying to steal their turf, and THAT is why there is very little spill over. This is largely due to the break down of the gang structure in Chicago where large gangs splinter off into factions with older leaders either imprisoned or leaving the life, and younger people wanting their own piece of the pie. And their "pie" usually consists of a little corner in somewhere like Central and Augusta. This is also the reason why most of the crimes are in the forms of crimes of opportunity, this like stealing snow blowers out of garages let open etc... Which is usually someone down on their luck, or some drug addict trying to find an easy score. The "field office" is also a community relations center. It's a good move, and I see no issue with it. It's not like some "safe" capsule among a sea of danger, it's just another office along there.

This idea that some how the police have to hold this hard line on the border due to some constant threat that's going to somehow tsunami into Oak Park is typical fear mongering from the few that know little about Oak Park. I see just as much police in other parts of the village as I do on Austin Blvd.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:09 PM

Sheesh, I was just sending some gratitude to the OPPD and State's Attorney, nobody but you said it was Ft Apache...

The WEDGE thing was set up for combating drug and gang crime but they do work on buglarlies too -- Oak Park cops track down burglars by matching shoeprints, patterns | Oak Leaves

Old 01-24-2014, 11:11 PM

And your sending of gratitude also included a good dose of misrepresentation in regards to spill over. I never said it was "Ft Apache", but you do from time to time enjoy trying to convince people that Oak Park is on some brink of invasion from people over the eastern border... And such nonsense.

The good thing about WEDGE is that it aims to prevent crime in the making and after the fact, which not only helps the inner ring suburbs, but also to a certain degree the affluent suburbs further out west. As we know, Heroin is a big problem in a lot of places, including rich towns in cook and Dupage county, where dealers and gang members deliver hard drugs, so things like WEDGE would actually serve a great function further our west too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs