Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 07:33 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Also I the Burlington runs through it...I assume the closest L line is in Oak Park.
The end of the Pink Line in Cicero is walkable from some areas of Berwyn as well. But that train is not a hugely popular commuter option like the Blue Line.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:35 PM

11 posts, read 45,859 times
Transportation options are strong:

Close access to CTA:
Pink Line in Cicero: 54th/Cermak
Blue Line in Oak Park: Harlem & 290, Oak Park Ave & 290
Green Line in Oak Park: Harlem & Lake St

Three Metra Stops on BNSF line: Harlem Ave, Oak Park Ave (Berwyn Stop), and Ridgeland (LaVergne Stop)

Pace runs East West on Roosevelt, Cermak, Ogden; North South on Harlem, Oak Park Ave

Quick Access to many arterials: I290, I55, Roosevelt, Cermak, Ogden

Old 03-20-2014, 08:15 PM

11 posts, read 45,859 times
In terms of neighborhoods within Berwyn, they are not nearly as well defined as Chicago, however there is a bit of a different feeling in certain areas:

North Berwyn - North of Cermak-

Roosevelt Rd Area - Becoming the Entertainment District: Harlem to East (could extend to Lombard if growth continues), Roosevelt to 16th: This area generally speaking has the least character laden homes. Mix of more plain Chicago bungalows, American Foursquares, wood A-frames, and brick cottages. Roosevelt has the entertainment/restaurants: Wire, Fitzgerald's, Friendly Tap, Autre Monde, Bodhi Thai, etc. 16th Street has the park district run 16th Street Theatre, which continues to receive recognition for their performances.

Gold Coast: Harlem to Kenilworth, 16th to Cermak: Collection of more ornate Chicago bungalows: larger, with octagon fronts. Close proximity to Cermak Plaza and North Riverside Mall (could be a pro and a con).

Apartment Belt: Grove to East, 16th to Cermak: Collection of ornate 2 flats and historic brick multi family buildings. Given the high concentration of rental properties, perception is lower of the area, however for the most part, buildings are well kept and crime is not an issue generally speaking.

South Berwyn - South of Cermak -

Harlem to East, Cermak to 26th - another collection of historic, ornate brick homes. No true neighborhood name to my knowledge. The nicest homes are centered around Riverside drive, which bisects the area on a diagonal.

East to Lombard, 16th to 26th - Again, no neighborhood name, however collectively is a mix of bungalows and 2 flats. The area gets lower in price as you head east. Again, no real issues, just a more average area.

The strip from 26th to the Illinois Central RR, Harlem to Lombard is another general strip with a mix of bungalows and frame homes. Nice area, however gets a bid seedier looking in appearance around Ridgeland eastward.

Proksa Park Area: Harlem to Oak Park Ave, IC RR to BNSF RR - Another great collection of ornate bungalows. Some of the best are found on Maple Ave from 28th to 32nd and on adjacent blocks. Great, quiet area. Historically and still today is one of the more affluent areas of Berwyn.

Depot District: Harlem to Ridgeland, 32nd to Ogden - Another of the more affluent areas, full of Queen Annes, Victorians, and other unique and ornate style homes. Centers around the BNSF Metra line. Unfortunately economic development is challenging as there is no main corridor that runs through this area, which does not bring the traffic that La Grange, Elmhurst, etc receives around their Metra stop. Also includes MacNeal Hospital. The City has put together a comprehensive plan for the area, which continues to relocate city services to the area and will soon break ground on a streetscaping project. As more residents migrate to this area and utilize Metra to get to and from work, businesses should become well established.

Ogden to Pershing, Harlem to Lombard - no true neighborhood name. Safe and quiet, but overall a lower cost to entry.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:03 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Hey, we've got a new Berwyn booster! Welcome.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:08 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,784,997 times
Yeah, it's a good breakdown of the specifics of the town. That's the type of posts that are really useful.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:37 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
Thanks for the information, its really helpful.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:30 PM

I drive around there all the time. See some blacks. I don't know that the woman is at home all day she might work. I don't assume. Yes there are some blacks in Berwyn. Also the same thing is not happening to Berwyn. There are stores opening there. I don't see it turning the way you say.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:59 AM

There are many towns that are diverse even in Dupage county. And the older ring suburbs have certainly changed too in diversity. Places like Glendale Heights, and Bolingbrook have significant populations of African Americans yet nobody really freaks out much about them. it seems people rag on Berwyn quite a bit, and the crime rate there is actually lower than Oak Park.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:32 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
I would strongly concur that taxes are a major concern here. They have been raised several times and more money is needed, particularly with respect to the schools. And every dollar they raise taxes is a dollar your home value will drop. I love Berwyn but something is going to have to give in this area.

They've been very strong in attracting business over the last 10 years. But they just refused to opt out of the Cook County minimum wage and sick leave ordinance. I wonder what that will do to business development, particularly with respect to that big empty Meijer store they need to fill. If business development slows, the taxpayers will have to pick up the slack.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:09 AM

I personally don't see anything but a mixed suburb. Plenty of white folks on the block, along with Mexican home owners and maybe a AAmerican or two. Many rehabbed homes that are being flipped. Some are quite nice. Two doors away they rehabbed a home that was derelict and someone moved in and its now beautiful with flowers, gardens, etc. They are getting over 300 K for some of the flipped homes and you have to have a pretty good job to afford that. The police are great and much better than Chicago. I heard that Pete's Fresh Market is going into Meier. Binny's is going into HH Gregg (actually in N. Riverside.). New Starbucks and Blaze Pizza, a Panera is opening near the Starbucks. They certainly have a way of attracting businesses. Have not heard what will occupy the ill fated Brewhouse that Frank Thomas runned into the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs