Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 12:04 PM

26 posts, read 104,275 times

Advertisements

Expanding the question: Which suburb, exurb, or rural town (in Illinois) has a dense enough commercial/residential area that could allow someone to access everyday conveniences without the use of a car or public transportation?

Conveniences located within a square mile:
  • grocery store
  • hardware store
  • park
  • gym
  • library
  • bar
  • restaurant
  • post office

Such a place may not exist, but if it does, you all may know of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 01:02 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,997,019 times
Downtown Elmhurst has all of those things within a square mile (actually, it's probably in a smaller area than that). Downtown Evanston also has everything on your list.

I'd imagine that the downtown core of a lot of suburbs have everything you listed. I don't know first hand if there's a hardware store in Arlington Heights, Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, Downers Grove, Naperville, or Geneva, but I bet there is. Evanston and Elmhurst definitely have everything.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:06 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,467,108 times
Many towns along the BNSF would make this a doable proposition, some even have hospitals within walking distance of their rail centric core -- Berwyn, LaGrange, Western Springs, parts of Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills, Downers Grove, Lisle or Naperville might work.

Similar story along the UP-W line in Oak Park, Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Wheaton & Geneva.

Of course you might get some stares truding around in the cold while your neighbors drive in heated comfort the mile or so that it might take to run all your errands, but it is doable.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:15 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,997,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Of course you might get some stares truding around in the cold while your neighbors drive in heated comfort the mile or so that it might take to run all your errands, but it is doable.
So far I haven't personally found that to be the case. I walk just about everywhere.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:16 PM

13,006 posts, read 18,932,975 times
Many places. Toughest thing probably a hardware store. And I would almost ignore those with new condos right by the train station. Most of their residents rarely cook or do household repairs on their own.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:13 PM

Western Springs, LaGrange, Hinsdale, westmont, and Clarendon Hills all have their hardware stores within a block or two of the Metra...

Old 11-26-2013, 09:04 PM

319 posts, read 605,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarballoon View Post
Expanding the question: Which suburb, exurb, or rural town (in Illinois) has a dense enough commercial/residential area that could allow someone to access everyday conveniences without the use of a car or public transportation?

Conveniences located within a square mile:
  • grocery store
  • hardware store
  • park
  • gym
  • library
  • bar
  • restaurant
  • post office

Such a place may not exist, but if it does, you all may know of it.
Someone mentioned Geneva in their list. Sadly Geneva has all but the grocery store locally near the metra stop. There is a place called soup to nuts, sort of like a smaller whole foods, that is in walking distance, but it's really small and gloriously overpriced, you will not find a huge selection there. Josef's deli however, if you are a carnivore, is about the greatest place in the world which is right across the street from soup to nuts. There is a Dominick's and Trader Joe's out by Randall Road, and a Jewel equidistant but further north in St. Charles. If you have a bike and a sizeable backpack, it's an easy flat ride for the most part.

Ace hardware is right downtown as is the post office and Library. Library has an exchange system so that if they don't have a book on-hand they can get it from St. Charles/Batavia/whoever has it.

Lots of park areas, the bike trail runs north-south along the fox river, through many park areas, and you can fish there on the fox as well. The dam there has some giant carp, and I've caught bass there as well. (None too gigantic). Wheeler park is a bit north of this area, and that's more for kids and mini-golf.

Anytime fitness is downtown, 24/7.

Plenty of bar/dining options, though I don't consider most of them breathtaking, the Bangkok is some pretty awesome Thai for the burbs. Plenty of pub-style food and friendly crazy suburbanites.

Depending on family, age and number of kids, there are pretty well regarded public schools in the area as well.

OK, good luck!

Last edited by Isotope-C14; 11-26-2013 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: school addition

Old 11-27-2013, 11:31 AM

26 posts, read 104,275 times
Thanks to everyone who posted replies. I'll sum things up for anyone who comes across this thread in the future:

Full Convenience Suburban Downtowns:

Elmhurst
Evanston
Western Springs
LaGrange
Westmont
Hinsdale
Berwyn
Clarendon Hills

*Possibly Full Convenience
Downers Grove
Lisle
Naperville

*No Grocery Store
Geneva

Old 11-27-2013, 12:09 PM

I am not sure that the original request was about having the various conveniences in the downtown core, just within a walkable distance ...

Old 11-27-2013, 02:58 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,278,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarballoon View Post
Thanks to everyone who posted replies. I'll sum things up for anyone who comes across this thread in the future:

Full Convenience Suburban Downtowns:

Elmhurst
Evanston
Western Springs
LaGrange
Westmont
Hinsdale
Berwyn
Clarendon Hills

*Possibly Full Convenience
Downers Grove
Lisle
Naperville

*No Grocery Store
Geneva
Add Arlington Heights to the list. The Hardware Store might be 1.5 miles, otherwise everything else on the list is there PLUS movie theater and live theater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs