Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2013, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,171 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am looking to purchase a single family house in the NW suburbs. We have been looking at Arlington Heights, Mount Prospect, Prospect Heights, Buffalo Grove, Wheeling, and now Palatine. We found a nice looking house, however I am not sure of the neighborhood. It is north of Dundee, east of Rand, and west of 53. How is this area? There are quite a few apartment complexes here and I have read of some problems in these areas as well. The house is across the street from Baldwin Green so I'm also not sure how that apartment complex is. Any information in this area would be appreciate.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 08:20 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
The triangle between 53 Rand and Dundee is the crappiest in Palatine so you are bordering some sketchy areas. However, even these sketchy area aren't like Einglewood or Garfield Park in Chicago where gangs and gunfire are typical. The area is just less desirable more lower income.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:36 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,365,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjaguar View Post
Hello,
I am looking to purchase a single family house in the NW suburbs. We have been looking at Arlington Heights, Mount Prospect, Prospect Heights, Buffalo Grove, Wheeling, and now Palatine. We found a nice looking house, however I am not sure of the neighborhood. It is north of Dundee, east of Rand, and west of 53. How is this area? There are quite a few apartment complexes here and I have read of some problems in these areas as well. The house is across the street from Baldwin Green so I'm also not sure how that apartment complex is. Any information in this area would be appreciate.

Thanks
I used to live in that area which back then was known as Staples Corner. It was unincorporated Palatine at the time. Don't know what it is now. We moved away in the mid 1980s when the area started to turn bad and we became completely surrounded by multi-family housing, a lot of which became public housing and section 8. The houses in the single family section are generally small, but were built well. I occasionally drive through there and the single family neighborhoods still look pretty well kept up. But the surrounding apartments along Baldwin and Rand Grove Village on the west side of that area are still as bad as ever. I personally would not live there, especially if I had kids.

The other towns you list would all be better - as would other parts of Palatine which can be pretty high end. Wheeling has some pretty sketchy areas but also has some quite nice areas as well. Just be careful where you are looking. The other places you mention all might have a problem complex here or there, but are all are quite pleasant and safe places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs