Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 10:33 AM

145 posts, read 264,953 times

Advertisements

Hello! I've read several posts on Tinley Park, but thought I'd ask for some advice!

I am 32/f and am considering a job in Tinley Park. Not so sure I want to live there though. The commute from Chicago looks pretty rough. I want to live in an area that is hip, singles, able to walk to pubs, restaurants, grocery store and close to public transit. Any ideas? I just need a 1bdrm apartment, 2 would be ideal - but not a deal breaker!

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 10:56 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
South Loop or maybe Bridgeport.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:12 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
I think the South Loop makes sense. If you are driving, you want to avoid going through the circle interchange on a daily basis if possible.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:13 AM

145 posts, read 264,953 times
Thanks, I will look into that area! I'd prefer not to drive...but I am not sure that is possible. Need to do my homework on Chicago and it's surroundings. I will likely look for a weekly rental/corporate housing...etc for the first few weeks.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:24 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,879 times
I'm kind of thinking in another direction, but what about Naperville? It's about 5 miles farther but should be a route with less traffic. According to google the commute time is about the same to Tinley Park. Downtown Naperville would certainly fit what you are looking for.

The downtown area of Downers Grove is nice as well and is a little closer to Tinley.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:05 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,079,830 times
There is the Metra Rock Island line that has 2 stops in Tinley Park, one on Oak Park and 171st and the other on 80th Avenue off 175th. Downtown stop is LaSalle street, not sure of the cross street, though.

If you were in Downers Grove, you could take 355 (toll road) to 80 and head east but semi-truck traffic is pretty heavy and sometimes the commute can be a PITA on 80.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:49 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
It's not really what you're looking for but if you want to cut down on your commute time, there's also the Beverly neighborhood in Chicago. It has three Rock Island stops, you'd be close to work and within the city limits. It's not a very happening place but it's a safe neighborhood and you'd be MUCH closer to the action in the city than Naperville or Downers Grove. And it's just as close to Tinley Park.. I'm not sure if you can rent close to the Metra but it's another option to look into..

I think the South Loop is your best bet if you can tolerate the commute..

Last edited by urza216; 10-19-2013 at 09:58 AM..

Old 11-08-2013, 08:59 AM

363 posts, read 439,464 times
Why not live in Tinley? It has a really cute downtown and lots of fests in summer. Homewood-Flossmoor area also nice.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:44 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
Why not live in Tinley? It has a really cute downtown and lots of fests in summer. Homewood-Flossmoor area also nice.
That's true. You won't be the only 32 year old but you'll have less competition from other 32 year old females.

Honestly, though. Lassen's in Homewood (a bar) is packed on weekends. And you might actually feel a little old in there if you're 32. Although it's probably not a good place to meet people if you don't already know ANYONE in the area..

Old 11-09-2013, 03:11 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Transit options are pretty poor to Tinley Park, Metra schedule on the Rock Island Line has at most three AM trains that would work with a normal commute schedule and evenings are similarly a challenge. The LaSalle St is notably spartan and has fewer links to CTA buses though it is easy to walk to CTA Blue Line station or residential parts of Printers Row, still not ideal for a new comer as that part of South Loop really clears ought when offices close...

Don't think I would be keen on driving from Chicago either as the drive from any part of Chicago with nightlife, including south side areas like Beverly or Morgan Park are a pretty significant drive along I-57... That said the drive from someplace like Lisle or Naperville would be EVEN WORSE and I would NOT recommend it as the journey would be about 30 miles each way...

Given these facts the best options may be to live to close work in Tinley Park itself or search in nearby towns like Orland Park, Frankfort, Mokena and other recently developed areas. Nightlife options are not great and many of these areas have an abundance of "car centris" strip malls and such but sometimes when the options are all worse you have to face reality of the situation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs