Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2007, 09:14 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,032 times

Advertisements

Hi-- We're relocating from Boston and are considering Highland Park. A lot of the houses I like online are near Ravinia. I know there are concerts there. Is living there awful if you're trying to get home/leave home during concert traffic? I just imagine driving home late from work and being stuck in a line of 200+ cars pulling my hair out one strand at a time.

Any local insights?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 04:33 PM

35 posts, read 285,493 times
Unfortunately no insight here, but a word of encouragement. I too am looking to relocate to Highland Park, and all 3 homes we're considering are close to Ravinia. Perhaps we'll be neighbors! I just got back from a househunting trip so perhaps we should compare notes re: the homes we're considering so we don't end up bidding vs. each other, lol! In the meantime, I look forward to the insight other readers may be able to offer and will pose the question to my buyer's agent as well. Good luck!

Old 11-13-2007, 06:00 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
I also don't know the answer to this as someone who live in Highland Park, but I can tell you the times I attempted the drive to Highland Park from Chicago for Ravina resulted in VERY long delays, both before and after the concerts. That being said, I wouldn't pass up living in a great neighborhood over this :-) Hopefully someone else can answer!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:03 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
Ravinia traffic is not that bad in comparison the suburban strip mall hells further west and south of the North Shore (ie. Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg), lol. Honestly, you'll know the side streets, and Sheridan Road will be a great bypass usually. Most of the concertgoers and tourists will take predictable, main routes such as Highway 94 (Edens Expressway) north from Chicago up to the Lake-Cook or Clavey exits, and then head east to the park. Avoid those main roads on concert nights and you should be alright. There are plenty of neighborhood short cuts & side streets within Highland Park, and if you have GPS, you'll easily be able to re-route yourself on the go (that's what I do at least since I drive quite a bit, and not always on the same routes.

Note: if Highway 94 is ever clogged returning from Chicago, use side streets such as Sheridan Road, Green Bay Road, or Skokie Blvd + Hibbard Rd + Forest Way Rd up to Tower (or all the way up to Lake Cook Rd via Green Bay). Like I said, I use a navigation system, and thanks to this device (Garmin Nuvi 350), I hardly ever have problems navigating myself from the city back up to unincorporated Libertyville via the good old, well insulated North Shore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
Hi-- We're relocating from Boston and are considering Highland Park. A lot of the houses I like online are near Ravinia. I know there are concerts there. Is living there awful if you're trying to get home/leave home during concert traffic? I just imagine driving home late from work and being stuck in a line of 200+ cars pulling my hair out one strand at a time.

Any local insights?

Thanks.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:47 PM

281 posts, read 928,485 times
There is one large parking lot near the Park which gets the bulk of the traffic. The city does a good job of routing the traffic to be as inobtrusive as possible to the locals. They are ferocious about ticketing cars without Highland Park stickers parking in the neighborhoods on concert nights.
The Festival has greatly increased parking fees to try to encourage people to take the train, and from what I have seen it is successful.
On the plus side, the concerts (which run from Memorial to Labor days) are wonderful. If you are close enough to walk you can have a nice stroll, a great concert and eat dinner on the lawn for $10.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:10 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,032 times
Wink Thanks!

Hi Everyone--

Thanks for the tips. It sounds like if you know your way around (and keep a concert schedule in the car), it's not too big of a hassle. It was also helpful to get the insight about the horrendous mall traffic further west, since that's another area we might consider.

As for competing with other buyers-- we won't begin an "active" search till January or February, so you've got a head start on us. But after that, watch out!!

Old 11-19-2007, 10:07 AM

939 posts, read 2,380,568 times
Default I live in the Ravinia neighborhood

and I drive home from work a couple of times per week during peak Ravinia hours. Your traffic will really depend upon where you are coming from or where you are going. The Edens (94) will be packed at that time of night no matter whether there is a concert or not. Lake Cook Road is always crowded during that time as well, but can be a little more congested on nights when there is a very popular act at Ravinia. Otherwise, if you are concerned about the near neighborhood traffic, it's really not bad at all. There are policemen directing traffic on high attendance nights and driving really isn't an issue. Also, in order to park on any of the streets within about a five block radius of the park, one needs to have a Ravinia tag in the window (residents are issued three tags each season). I've lived in the neighborhood (about two blocks from the entrance) for over 13 years and have rarely been bothered by excess traffic. I can't say enough good things about the area. Where else can you sit out on your patio and hear a world class orchestra practicing on a Saturday afternoon?! Also, going to Ravinia is a breeze because you can just pack up your stuff and walk. No advance planning required!

If you aren't already familiar, the public beach, Rosewood, is within walking distance and will be undergoing significant improvements (it's nice already). And, if you are closer to the Ravinia Metra (commuter train) stop (there's a Braeside stop, a Ravinia Park stop (which is actually called Ravinia Festival) and a Ravinia stop). If you live closest to the Ravinia stop, you can walk to almost everything you can imagine... barbershop, hair salons, nail salon, dry cleaners, post office, Walgreens, pizza, sushi, Chinese, American fare, convenience store, coffee shop, elementary school, parks, etc. If you have children, the schools are great. Both Braeside and Ravinia are excellent elementary schools (98% and 96% meeting or exceeding state standards, respectively, on the ISAT's this year). The middle school for the area, Edgewood, was just rated in the top ten or so of middle schools in the Chicagoland suburbs (according to an article in the Sun Times recently).

It's a nice place to live. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have.

Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs