Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 08:47 AM

223 posts, read 757,409 times

Advertisements

Both Geneva and St. Charles are very nice.

Since your husband works downtown try to stay as close as possible to the train station. The funny thing is that there are parts of St Charles that are closer to the train station than in Geneva proper. As always, location, location, location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 09:35 PM

23 posts, read 54,301 times
Just as everyone else said, it's 6 of one and half-a-dozen of the other. St Charles is not close to either I-88 or I-90, but Geneva is only marginally closer to I-88. Geneva has the train station downtown, and if you look west of Randall Rd, for example Mill Creek or Campton Hills, the La Fox train station is easy to access. I recommend looking at as many homes as possible in both St Charles and Geneva and choosing based on the home that best meets your needs.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:44 PM

382 posts, read 824,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
Batavia, just as good as either of these. Closer highway access. School district on the rise.
I have to disagree. Batavia doesn't compare with St. Charles or Geneva to me at all. I would pick Geneva hands down of the three. Best downtown area, highest property values, on a train line.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:12 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,345,372 times
Geneva, for the train station. You will open up his commuting and future employment options if you have easier access to a train. There are NO good jobs in any of the fox valley tri cities. Be prepared for that. Lack of decent highway access is a factor.

St. Charles is nice, nice place to live, great services, park district, great place to raise kids, great schools, but it has issues in mainly retail development due to issues that are beyond the town's control.

I live in St. Charles, and if I did it again, I would not buy anything in Kane county. (again: issues). I liked living in DuPage county best.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:12 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,935,874 times
Geneva, but if I found the right house I would go to St. Charles. Train station is in Geneva. Both are nice towns. I find them a tad too far away from Chicago to suit me but they are nice. I'd look at Wheaton, Glen Ellyn and certain parts of Naperville before I'd go out that far. Better access to transportation and closer to the city by a tad. Has everything and more that Kane county has.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,381 times
Batavia is comically awesome. Most impressions of it, that don't put it on par with St Charles or Geneva, are based on impressions formed 15 years ago.

There's been tens of millions of dollars in infrastructure work and a general gentrifying occurring over the past decade. Also, major construction projects in the downtown are still going on and it has the best library and high school facilities in the area. Never mind the major infill development.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:32 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinabutters View Post
Batavia is comically awesome. Most impressions of it, that don't put it on par with St Charles or Geneva, are based on impressions formed 15 years ago.

There's been tens of millions of dollars in infrastructure work and a general gentrifying occurring over the past decade. Also, major construction projects in the downtown are still going on and it has the best library and high school facilities in the area. Never mind the major infill development.
And you haven't even mentioned Fermilab!

Old 11-13-2013, 09:14 PM

781 posts, read 1,618,873 times
I was looking at the same question earlier this year, (we moved from Pittsburgh) although Batavia was also in the mix for us. Geneva does have a great downtown. I just didn't like Mill Creek and that was where the majority of real estate was when we were looking. St. Charles was too spread out for us so we picked Batavia and are very happy. The school is awesome, my son is a freshman.

I think we would have been happy with all of the above. Go with your gut, they are all very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs