Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 08:47 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgMichael View Post
Where would you consider downtown Schaumburg?
I was going to ask the same question. I also don't find downtown Long Grove to be much of anything. Mt Prospect is small and meh. Agree that LaGrange and Winnetka are worthy of consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 09:28 PM

76 posts, read 162,296 times
Libertyville is my fav.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:22 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpm314 View Post
Libertyville is my fav.
it is a nice downtown. but for me, i find it a drawback for any suburban downtown when a major street goes right smack in the middle of it. Obviously I'm talking about Milwaukee Avenue, a well traveled route.

having those routes close by is good, but right through the middle can tear apart the urban fabric of the business center. Waukegan Road does the same thing in Glenview and Deerfield: it divides. Oak Park does well with Harlem Avenue because it is at the periphery of the business district.

To me, there is something special about downtowns on the North Shore; Evanston, Winnetka, Highland Park, and Lake Forest in particular. There, the only divisions (not so much in Lake Forest where it is by the side) is the Metra tracks, which aren't obtrusive at all.

What do I really like about the North Shore downtowns? They are places apart. the major east-west streets that run basically through the northern suburbs as commercial thoroughfares don't exist the same way once they cross into the North Shore.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:32 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
it is a nice downtown. but for me, i find it a drawback for any suburban downtown when a major street goes right smack in the middle of it.
This is one of the main drawbacks to Downtown La Grange. La Grange road is a major trucking route, and it kind of hurts the east side of the street (the west side feeds in to some side streets with businesses on them). But it's still one of the better/most functional suburban downtowns.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgMichael View Post
Where would you consider downtown Schaumburg?
LOL. Maybe the Streets of Woodfield? There is a cluster of stuff near Schaumburg Road and Roselle Road, but it is a very sorry excuse for a downtown. It's definitely auto-oriented and spread out, but does include the library. I don't think anyone calls it "Downtown Schaumburg".

Old 07-09-2013, 01:14 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Dude, you sure about these?

Clarendon Hills vibrant? No way -- it's a block long! Sheriff Taylor and his deputy would get bored here, at least in Mayberry they could hope Aunt Bea to bring some pies over...

Where's Arlington Heights? Geneva? St. Charles? Libertyville? Wilmette? Winnetka? Evanston? Highland Park? Lake Forest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
The one's that I like the most

On a larger scale:
Naperville
Oak Park
Elmhurst
LaGrange
Downers Grove

On a smaller scale more traditional
Hinsdale
Glenn Ellyn
Riverside
Clarendon Hills

Old 07-09-2013, 06:55 PM

64 posts, read 109,970 times
It's a shame that I live so far away from these towns. I live in Lindenhurst, and the nearest "downtown" aspect is Waukegan (except for Libertyville).

I have been touring colleges in Naperville (North Central) and Aurora, which I toured today, and the downtowns are spectacular. That's why I cannot wait to go to college, to get a more thriving downtown feel. Waukegan downtown consists of a lot of restaurants and art shows, but nothing that exciting. The only thing I really enjoy while going downtown is the Genesee Theater.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLife! View Post
It's a shame that I live so far away from these towns. I live in Lindenhurst, and the nearest "downtown" aspect is Waukegan (except for Libertyville).
A lot of suburban downtowns cater to an older crowd because of the family-oriented nature of the suburbs, but downtown Naperville could be a lot of fun, and has plenty of younger people. I'm less familiar with Aurora.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:54 PM

64 posts, read 109,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
A lot of suburban downtowns cater to an older crowd because of the family-oriented nature of the suburbs, but downtown Naperville could be a lot of fun, and has plenty of younger people. I'm less familiar with Aurora.
I loved downtown Naperville. It had a lot of things to do. I hope I can return to there shortly.

Downtown Aurora was big, but not much to do. I only got to drive around for a little bit, but parts were a little run down, but overall the city is nice. Not as nice as Naperville, but still enjoyable. Unfortunately as I drove around, I did not see many restaurants in the downtown area, which surprised me. Maybe I needed to look a little more thoroughly, but over all, DT Naperville has much more things to do than DT Aurora

Old 07-09-2013, 10:39 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,391,257 times
Default Very sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Clarendon Hills vibrant? No way -- it's a block long! Sheriff Taylor and his deputy would get bored here, at least in Mayberry they could hope Aunt Bea to bring some pies over...

Where's Arlington Heights? Geneva? St. Charles? Libertyville? Wilmette? Winnetka? Evanston? Highland Park? Lake Forest?
I said they are the ones that I LIKED. I've been to all the towns you've mentioned but not in their downtown area....did you miss my first 5 on the list?? Are they vibrant enough for you? Thought so....Riverside's downtown is also like a block long maybe two, but I LIKE the feel and there's a nice amount of traffic that comes through there. The same with Clarendon Hills. OK pumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
The one's that [i]I like[/I] the most

On a larger scale:
Naperville
Oak Park
Elmhurst
LaGrange
Downers Grove

On a smaller scale more traditional
Hinsdale
Glenn Ellyn
Riverside
Clarendon Hills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs