Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 08:31 AM

374 posts, read 1,036,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doglover5 View Post
Please do tell me about the large variety of Oak Park's "great, even posh," eateries. Inquiring minds want to know.
Seven Ocean, Autre Monde and Maya Del Sol are three that come to mind immediately. Other fantastic restaurants include Sen Sushi, New Robozo, Cucina Paradiso, Il Vicolo, Marion Street Cheese Market. There are others as well. I don't care if you love or hate the OP, are liberal or conservative, don't care for left exits on the Ike, OP has some good food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 09:35 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Please do tell me about the large variety of Oak Park's "great, even posh," eateries. Inquiring minds want to know.
I was wondering the same thing. Shoot even Highland Park can't support higher end restaurants.

Highland Park's Carlos' Restaurant to Close - Highland Park, IL Patch

Moderno Restaurant - CLOSED - Highland Park, IL

Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 AM

374 posts, read 1,036,640 times
Really? Across the street from Oak Park, on Roosevelt.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:41 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindrakindra View Post
Really? Across the street from Oak Park, on Roosevelt.
Yes, it's really in Berwyn. Anyway, the point is, there is very little fine dining in Oak Park and most suburbs.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:08 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,786,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yes, it's really in Berwyn. Anyway, the point is, there is very little fine dining in Oak Park and most suburbs.
The point is, Oak Park has a larger variety compared to most suburbs.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:24 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,786,096 times
Quote:
I was going to mention much of what Kinrdakindra posted, so I'll repost her's and add a few more.

"Seven Ocean, Autre Monde and Maya Del Sol are three that come to mind immediately. Other fantastic restaurants include Sen Sushi, New Robozo, Cucina Paradiso, Il Vicolo, Marion Street Cheese Market. There are others as well. I don't care if you love or hate the OP, are liberal or conservative, don't care for left exits on the Ike, OP has some good food."

Marion Street Cheese Market just got awarded the "Bib Gourmand" award, as has Sen Sushi in the past.

A few more, but not limited to, Hemingway Bistro, Barclay´s American Grille, Lake Street Bar + Kitchen, Trattoria 225, Winberie's, Klay Oven etc, etc, etc...

Old 04-16-2013, 02:00 PM

382 posts, read 825,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
I'd agree that if the OP is so concerned about being on the lake front, and wants to be in a suburb that is predominantly rich and glitzy, then Oak Park may not the right choice, but as far as walkability, fancy homes and great eateries (even "posh" ones), Oak Park has them, and a large variety.

Yeah, Oak Park borders a rough area of Chicago, but it's a safe suburb full of families and wealthy professionals, and has less crime than the desirable area of Lincoln Park. If the el is a concern for some people at 10pm to go downtown, take the Metra, or drive on 290, or take a cab for a little over $20. You don't "have to" go through any sketchy areas of Chicago if you don't want to, as there plenty of other, and more convenient routes to travel.

Yeah, Wilmette and Highland Park are predominantly "high end", and if that's what the OP wants, go for that... As for Evanston, there is some diversity of wealth, which seems to take away the "high end" feeling for some, which seems to rock some peoples boats. You may also have to drive through some poor areas too, if you can stomach it ... But you won't have to do that living in Wilmette or Highland Park, as long as you stick to certain routes that bypass poor areas.
Nobody cares about traveling through "poor" areas. They care about traveling through high crime areas. Especially if they have children. Again, not much of a concern if you drive, as you and I both pointed out. Some people may feel uncomfortable taking the el over there at night.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:35 PM

97 posts, read 185,202 times
Thanks for the tips everyone. We're making the trip tomorrow (with the baby) to have a look around and then return on Thursday night. We have school visits and a real estate agent ready to go. Wish we had more time, but it is what it is.

Cheers...

Old 04-16-2013, 04:09 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Good Luck!

(my money is on Lincoln Park...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs