Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2013, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,062 times

Advertisements

Let me give you a background:
We moved from California to Illinois 9 months ago and we're pretty new here in the Chicago suburbs and still trying to adapt to the new environment and everything. My family and I moved to this 2-story apartment complex in Skokie (We live on the first floor and we have usptairs neighbors) and everything was fine and dandy until a week after we moved in. The neighbors' kids upstairs keep making STOMPING noises everyday and we hear screaming from either the parents or the kids and they left so many trashes, like magazines, papers, and kids' toys, on our front steps and the entrance that it was, at first, a little annoying. For the first 7 months, I just thought maybe the parents weren't there, only the babysitter, or maybe the kids can't play outside so they decided to play inside. I know that kids will be kids and I just left it at that and tried to suck it up for 2 more months. Then the unnecessary noises, such as stomping, dragging heavy things, and dropping objects, it escalated that we hear their kids and their daily activities EVERY five minutes if I stay inside our apartment for the whole day. (I'm not even exaggerating)That's when I gathered up the courage to go upstairs and gently remind them that they have people living downstairs and have the right to peaceful enjoyment/living. That they need to tone down the stomping noises a little bit. I actually went to their apartment twice. The first time went okay, but the mother didn't even try to do anything and she lied to me when she said she would "take care of it" when I could still here loud stomping five minutes after I first talked to them. The second time, she kept the door shut on me and she keeps yelling at me that her kids are just "walking" and there's nothing she could do about it because the more she tried to stop them, the more her kids make noises. So, she told me I better get back in our house and mind my own business. That's when I prompted to call the landlord right away. I told her everything that I've told you so far and she said she would go there and talk to them instead. However, the landlord talking to them didn't work. So, we have to do the next step and call 311 for non-emergency concerns. In other words, we have to call the police. We called on the upstairs neighbors once, while they reported us to the police TWICE and had the nerve to lie to the police about it. The second time they called the police on us, one of them was asking for "help" because they were being "abused", when in reality, the father upstairs was the one who was yelling at my younger sister because she called out on them for being too noisy and not disciplining his kids. He retaliated by telling my sister that "it's none of your ****ing business on how I raise my children" That was his exact words. Unfortunately, I didn't have it recorded with my voice recorder because I thought it was unnecessary at first and it happened too quickly. Our last resort was to blast some music or increase the volume just to drown out their unnecessary noises and we did just that.

I have another issue with them and that is the smoking policy that they keep violating after the landlord kept reminding us that we're not supposed to smoke within 15 feet from the apartment because there are little kids and a baby living in the apartment complex and anywhere near the apartment is a "no smoking zone". I could also smell the strong scent of cigarette every night and that usually gives me a lot of headaches. Since we've moved in 9 months ago, they've been smoking on our staircase, instead of theirs and I wrongly assumed that they understood what the rules are. So, what I did was I sprayed some air freshener outside whenever they're there smoking just to give them a hint that they need to be more courteous and follow the rules of this apartment if they want to stay longer. The second time I sprayed, the mother, and let me emphasis that this is a mother who has little kids upstairs, told me that I should instead spray those cockroaches in our house instead of her since, according to her, WE were the one who brought those pests and she called us "nasty". To be honest, the cockroaches weren't there when we moved in. It only came when they had some construction upstairs and that probably disturbed the cockroaches (LOL). She had the nerve to call us "nasty" when they were the ones who leave trashes and their kids' toys on our doorstep and in the entrance. That's when I had the idea of recording their voices secretly so that the landlord would know how they treat their neighbors. So I opened our backdoor with my voice recorder on one hand and kindly told her that she's not supposed to smoke near our apartment. She then told me out of nowhere that I "need to work out" which is an implied insult on my outward appearance (I know I'm a curvy woman) and I need to get my ass back in the house. The husband was also there and defended his wife and ask us why would we even care if they smoke outside? When, they should know that it is against the rules to smoke on our porch since it's a non-smoking zone. I have nothing against them smoking a pack a day or whatever, but they also need to be reminded that at least stay away from the non-smoking zone area. So, minutes after that incident, I listened to the voice recorder and I could hear the "You need to work out" insult of the mother and her husband asking us on why should we care if they smoke on our porch. I'm thinking of reporting them to the landlord again and letting her listen to the recording, but at the same time, I'm scared for what their next retaliation will be since we don't really know them much. So, my question is, should I still call the landlord and tell her what happened and allow her to listen to the recorded conversation, or should I just keep mum about this since we're going to move out this month which is very very soon. I'm a really patient person and learned how to get along with people pretty well, but how the neighbors treated us yesterday was just out of line, absolutely rude and offensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 12:28 PM

694 posts, read 2,019,922 times
Should I call my landlord? Yes, maybe the landlord will enjoy your long boring trolling story. By the way, eavesdropping is a felony in Illinois.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:37 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,877,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsieducks View Post
Let me give you a background:
We moved from California to Illinois 9 months ago and we're pretty new here in the Chicago suburbs and still trying to adapt to the new environment and everything. My family and I moved to this 2-story apartment complex in Skokie (We live on the first floor and we have usptairs neighbors) and everything was fine and dandy until a week after we moved in. The neighbors' kids upstairs keep making STOMPING noises everyday and we hear screaming from either the parents or the kids and they left so many trashes, like magazines, papers, and kids' toys, on our front steps and the entrance that it was, at first, a little annoying. For the first 7 months, I just thought maybe the parents weren't there, only the babysitter, or maybe the kids can't play outside so they decided to play inside. I know that kids will be kids and I just left it at that and tried to suck it up for 2 more months. Then the unnecessary noises, such as stomping, dragging heavy things, and dropping objects, it escalated that we hear their kids and their daily activities EVERY five minutes if I stay inside our apartment for the whole day. (I'm not even exaggerating)That's when I gathered up the courage to go upstairs and gently remind them that they have people living downstairs and have the right to peaceful enjoyment/living. That they need to tone down the stomping noises a little bit. I actually went to their apartment twice. The first time went okay, but the mother didn't even try to do anything and she lied to me when she said she would "take care of it" when I could still here loud stomping five minutes after I first talked to them. The second time, she kept the door shut on me and she keeps yelling at me that her kids are just "walking" and there's nothing she could do about it because the more she tried to stop them, the more her kids make noises. So, she told me I better get back in our house and mind my own business. That's when I prompted to call the landlord right away. I told her everything that I've told you so far and she said she would go there and talk to them instead. However, the landlord talking to them didn't work. So, we have to do the next step and call 311 for non-emergency concerns. In other words, we have to call the police. We called on the upstairs neighbors once, while they reported us to the police TWICE and had the nerve to lie to the police about it. The second time they called the police on us, one of them was asking for "help" because they were being "abused", when in reality, the father upstairs was the one who was yelling at my younger sister because she called out on them for being too noisy and not disciplining his kids. He retaliated by telling my sister that "it's none of your ****ing business on how I raise my children" That was his exact words. Unfortunately, I didn't have it recorded with my voice recorder because I thought it was unnecessary at first and it happened too quickly. Our last resort was to blast some music or increase the volume just to drown out their unnecessary noises and we did just that.

I have another issue with them and that is the smoking policy that they keep violating after the landlord kept reminding us that we're not supposed to smoke within 15 feet from the apartment because there are little kids and a baby living in the apartment complex and anywhere near the apartment is a "no smoking zone". I could also smell the strong scent of cigarette every night and that usually gives me a lot of headaches. Since we've moved in 9 months ago, they've been smoking on our staircase, instead of theirs and I wrongly assumed that they understood what the rules are. So, what I did was I sprayed some air freshener outside whenever they're there smoking just to give them a hint that they need to be more courteous and follow the rules of this apartment if they want to stay longer. The second time I sprayed, the mother, and let me emphasis that this is a mother who has little kids upstairs, told me that I should instead spray those cockroaches in our house instead of her since, according to her, WE were the one who brought those pests and she called us "nasty". To be honest, the cockroaches weren't there when we moved in. It only came when they had some construction upstairs and that probably disturbed the cockroaches (LOL). She had the nerve to call us "nasty" when they were the ones who leave trashes and their kids' toys on our doorstep and in the entrance. That's when I had the idea of recording their voices secretly so that the landlord would know how they treat their neighbors. So I opened our backdoor with my voice recorder on one hand and kindly told her that she's not supposed to smoke near our apartment. She then told me out of nowhere that I "need to work out" which is an implied insult on my outward appearance (I know I'm a curvy woman) and I need to get my ass back in the house. The husband was also there and defended his wife and ask us why would we even care if they smoke outside? When, they should know that it is against the rules to smoke on our porch since it's a non-smoking zone. I have nothing against them smoking a pack a day or whatever, but they also need to be reminded that at least stay away from the non-smoking zone area. So, minutes after that incident, I listened to the voice recorder and I could hear the "You need to work out" insult of the mother and her husband asking us on why should we care if they smoke on our porch. I'm thinking of reporting them to the landlord again and letting her listen to the recording, but at the same time, I'm scared for what their next retaliation will be since we don't really know them much. So, my question is, should I still call the landlord and tell her what happened and allow her to listen to the recorded conversation, or should I just keep mum about this since we're going to move out this month which is very very soon. I'm a really patient person and learned how to get along with people pretty well, but how the neighbors treated us yesterday was just out of line, absolutely rude and offensive.
Now we know where all the white trash from Cicero moved!

Old 03-09-2013, 03:49 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,838,692 times
Tl;dr

Old 03-10-2013, 12:50 PM

11 posts, read 21,650 times
No, don't call your landlord. Just move & get on with your life.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,511 times
I cant believe this woman came on here to get advise and all of you people are rude...you all need to go back into the holes you crawled out of...you all suck. To the woman that wrote this...screw people they are stupid. Go to tenants law...these people on the internet are retarded hiding behind their computers with no face. I hope your situation has been resolved since this is a old posting

Old 01-26-2014, 07:41 PM

9,915 posts, read 9,635,450 times
i would not bother if im going to move out in a month. the neighbors are asswipes and they dont want to change. if its only a month, i'd just not bother.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:35 PM

4 posts, read 4,280 times
Move out ASAP; pay no more rent

Old 02-04-2014, 05:29 PM

37,211 posts, read 41,441,923 times
The original post was almost a year ago. I suspect the situation has been resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs