Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 05:37 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,478,441 times

Advertisements

I had two young salesmen I assume from Encoa ring my doorbell in the snowstorm tonight. They were talking about that rates went lower and they wanted to see my Com Ed bill to remove extra charges and reduce rates and insinuated they were there on behalf of Com Ed. Anyways I was confused and refused to agree to anything without doing due diligence. I assume they are a third party energy provider with that new Com Ed charges for delivery and there is competition for the energy itself arrangement we have in Illinois.

Anyone ever heard of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 07:19 PM

185 posts, read 595,988 times
Any company selling any product that sends unsolicited salespeople to my door or that calls me despite my being on the do-not-call list is automatically removed from the list of companies that I would ever want to do business with.

Go to the Illinois Commerce Commission Plug In Illinois web site where you can see all of the legitimate companies and compare their rates side-by-side.

Also check to see if your city or village has made a deal with an electricity provider. That may be your best choice of all. Don't reward companies that engage in annoying sales tactics.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:50 PM

415 posts, read 766,680 times
Sounds fishy.. 2 guys, sounds like a Ruse buggery, they make some thing up to get in your house,and while one keep you occupied the other ran sacks the house, their has been a few in my area lately, one neighbor had his safe hit for 22k.. while another guy kept them busy saying he was new neighbor and wanted to talk about the lot line...22k, poof''

and then i saw this in my area today, if you didnt call them, never let some one in you dont know...check this from today

Oak Lawn Man Charged in January Palos Park Ruse Burglary - Palos, IL Patch

where are you ??

Old 03-08-2013, 10:45 AM

I am pretty sure they were just salesmen for a retail energy company. However, their confusing and deceptive sales pitch raised red flags with me. A lot of those third party electrical providers have been very aggressively marketing and I've had salemen approach me from other companies as well as well as get phone calls and tons of junk mail.

I don't know their sales tactics make me leary of them even though the website shows that most of them are cheaper than Com Ed for a kilowatt hour. Does anyone use them and have you had a acceptable experience?

Also looking at the website for the index of consumer complaints it looks like Encoa has greater than average complaints against them.
http://pluginillinois.org/complaints.aspx

Old 05-25-2013, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 6,335 times
Default julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I had two young salesmen I assume from Encoa ring my doorbell in the snowstorm tonight. They were talking about that rates went lower and they wanted to see my Com Ed bill to remove extra charges and reduce rates and insinuated they were there on behalf of Com Ed. Anyways I was confused and refused to agree to anything without doing due diligence. I assume they are a third party energy provider with that new Com Ed charges for delivery and there is competition for the energy itself arrangement we have in Illinois.

Anyone ever heard of them?
they just left my house. i gave them nothing

Old 06-21-2013, 11:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,611 times
Encoa is an alternative energy supplier for Comed helping Comed customers reduce their rates on the electric/gas bill. I have had their reps at my door and they made it very clear that they were not from Comed and Comed did not send them out there. To my knowledge ComEd does not make a profit off of the supply portion of the bill so it doesn't really matter to them what you do with that part of the bill. We still have to pay them. At first I was skeptical about someone coming to my door but once I took the time out to actually listen to what they were saying and they were pretty nice, I figured why not. It is free to do free to cancel so a win-win situation. Long story short my bill was reduced by 30%. So it's up to us as consumers to educate ourselves on deregulation otherwise we can miss out on a great opportunity. But then again it's just my opinion.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:23 AM

936 posts, read 2,207,304 times
The ones that have shown up at my door try to portray themselves as being from ComEd. I always ask them for four-color brochures so that I can read their information at my convenience. They never seem to have such information available. Imagine that- they're trying to get me to spend literally thousands of dollars with their company, yet don't have the most minimal of advertising materials with them.

I live in an unincorporated area, just blocks from city limits. I'll usually call the police of the adjacent city to get them stopped because these people inevitably fail to get the proper permit for soliciting in that town.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:46 PM

My town just passed an agregation refferendum for electricity. Another Encoa salesmen showed up two days in a row peddling natural gas. I checked them out on the link in post #2 and they have a higher than average complaint rate.

Also their pitch is confusing. They don't state clearly they are a retail energy company they just say there is a rate reduction and they want to make sure you are signed up for it and when you finally tell them politely no thanks they go well I'll just mark you down as not interested in saving money. They seem to be pressuring you to sign up on the spot which I would not do and they did not offer any pamplets or information like yousah said which makes me suspicous. I don't make important decissions like that nor do most intiligent consumers. They really need to polish up their marketing techniques so as not to appear like scammers.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,370 times
I live in ohio where an encoa rep showed up today. She was really nice and explained it all to me. My next door neighbor had come outside after i switched over saying it wasn't a real company and she was scamming me. He advised me not to show her anything. I know what I did, her pitch was simple but not confusing. She stated to me that the first lines that are used are a basic intro. She explained more after I got my bill. After my neighbor's outbursts to her (at which point he then shut the door and called the police) she turned around and told me that there are two types of people she comes across while working: the people who don't know what is going on but are willing to listen, and the people who don't know what's going on and don't want to listen. You don't pay money to Encoa at all. It seems like those of you who are down talking this company are just plain old dumbasses with nothing better to do and don't pay attention to what the people are saying. I'm sorry you're so ignorant but there's nothing I can do about it. And please don't call yourselves intelligent. That's just stupid. If you were intelligent you would look up this company another way. I looked on their reviews using the website you posted, there have been 0 complaints in the last two years. Get your facts straight ****tard! By the way in 2015 everyone who doesn't have this will have power cut off because this will be mandatory at that point. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs