Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 03:24 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,786,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by divakat View Post
1) Vibrant, active downtown: No other suburb even comes close. The only comparable downtown areas would be Evanston, which is a lot more money and Oak Park Park, which borders unsafe areas. We don't have lake Michigan like Evanston does, but we do have Centennial beach, which is very nice. There are also tons of restaurants, shops and yes, it actually has a decent nightlife. We walked around other suburban downtown areas (Hinsdale, Glen Ellyn) but they seemed very low key and sleepy. Hardly anyone was out. People are out and about all the time in downtown Naperville, even in the dead of winter.
I don't mean to derail the thread, and it's great that you found a place that suits your wants and needs, but the perception given here about Oak Park needs a little expanding upon to be accurate. While it's true that Oak Park borders a rough area, it is in itself a safe family area, and has a lower crime rate than Lincoln Park which is also considered safe. Plus most of the crime in O.P. is property crimes or crimes of opportunity... So I think it's important, not only when viewing Oak Park, but even other suburbs, to go beyond perception to see a place for what it's reality is. I think it's also a mistake (not on your part, but generally speaking) to assume that if an area has enough distance from Chicago it is enough to largely stop the more wide spread problems of the city affecting their family... But as we see with something like the Heroin problem that's affecting practically every suburb including the affluent ones, we can see that moving further out does not eliminate the possibility of problems. A student at Neuqua Valley High School actually made a documentary about the problem, who should be commended for bring this more into the open. Here's a link to their website and check out the trailer - http://www.neuquaondrugs.org/ If one it choosing where to live based on their personal level of comfort from their personal perception, that's all good, but perception can vary and be quite different from reality and that's important to acknowledge.

Last edited by chitownperson; 02-23-2013 at 03:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 04:42 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
No, we don't have any drug or gang problems in Naperville.

Felony Lane Gang Targets Naperville - Naperville, IL Patch

Naperville Drug Bust: Police Find $1 Million In Meth During Routine Traffic Stop

There were gang shootings when I moved here in 1988; there's three times the people in the area now. A woman was raped 50 feet from the door of my apartment at the last complex I lived in, and there were several drug and domestic violence arrests there. A woman babysitting someone else's child slaughtered her child and the other child in a house half a block from my new apartment. Naperville residents who think they live next door to the Cleavers may have a second think coming.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:51 PM

415 posts, read 764,596 times
Default ahh the trendyssss and preppyss

O'' it's heating up Naperville Mayor and city council is enslaving the trendys....talking down to them, get in line slave.....yes it has been heating up.... go search for the city counsil meetings lately on you tube, under citycouncilwatchdog... look them up and watch all the recent vids their...some decent residents are suieing Naperville, A co-worker bought a house their last year, and i have told him whats going on in his town'' but he is young n trendyyyyyy, rather play in his rock band in the garage....soo trendy....

Diane Cambrone 'Naperville now being known as a police state' - YouTube

here is one who is sueing, go get them Tom,, dig their are lots of new vid's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfU2UaAPGDc

Last edited by Hickory patrick; 03-06-2013 at 05:12 PM..

Old 03-06-2013, 08:42 PM

655 posts, read 1,128,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory patrick View Post
O'' it's heating up Naperville Mayor and city council is enslaving the trendys....talking down to them, get in line slave.....yes it has been heating up.... go search for the city counsil meetings lately on you tube, under citycouncilwatchdog... look them up and watch all the recent vids their...some decent residents are suieing Naperville, A co-worker bought a house their last year, and i have told him whats going on in his town'' but he is young n trendyyyyyy, rather play in his rock band in the garage....soo trendy....

Diane Cambrone 'Naperville now being known as a police state' - YouTube

here is one who is sueing, go get them Tom,, dig their are lots of new vid's...

Naperville City Council Candidate 'Outs' Electoral Board - YouTube

What the??????

Old 03-06-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whakru View Post
What the??????
the Naperville mayor and city council has shoved the smart meters up their residents arse's.. no way to opt out, even sent the police 2 to residents wifes because they videoed their meters being changed ...abc news was their as well, but abc didn't get arrested for filming , Huh''their is plenty info out their.. just go look....

Naperville Police Threaten to Shoot Dog over Smart Meter - YouTube

Old 03-13-2013, 08:02 AM

now Naperville, is having Hearings ,to record residents complaints,lol... but you can see none of the city council shows up for it''' their Gods i guess, so the hearings go on ...sad they take pay, insurance and retirements from ''WE THE PEOPLE'' but could give to Chit's about what the people want...ugh''

Jerry Schilling Provides An Overview Of Naperville's Wrong Doing - YouTube

Old 03-13-2013, 09:01 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Hickory, instead of just "grinding your axe", why don't you start a campaign to elect council members who agree with your point of view? Why not start a petition? Often, politicians only understand things when they fell the threat of not being re-elected or feel thye sting of a decision being too unfavorable by too many people. If you cannot do this then you either have to 1) hire a lawyer 2) deal with it 3) move.

The horse is dead, move on.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:30 PM

trust me, their is Law suits in the Long pipe line, and their was petitions that city council disregarded, said the people probably didn't know what they were signing,lol.

So only reason i post the Now Mayor and city council vid's, is so maybe, just maybe the residents of Naperville might Just wake up and see whats going on, even look into it, they do pay taxes ... before maybe another election... knowledge is power, but most snooze on by..
thats all, sweet''

Old 03-14-2013, 09:23 AM

107 posts, read 247,305 times
I lived in Naperville for three years by Jefferson and River. Naperville is a great community. The only negatives are:

- non express trains can be longer, but no suburb that I know of has better express trains.
- getting to the north suburbs is brutal
- Not convinient to lake michigan

Everything else is great and I would not hesitate to move back there if I looked at the western suburbs.

We ended up moving from Naperville to Lake Forest because my inlaws were in libertyville and I wanted to live closer to lake michigan because I had a boat.

I do miss Naperville sometimes and loved the downtown. My one recommendation would be to stay in close proximity to the downtown. I was a little less than a mile and the wife and I would walk the dog and ride our bikes into the downtown for fun or to have a few cocktails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs