Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 06:50 PM

7 posts, read 30,754 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I will be moving to the area (with my girlfriend) in February for a new job in Downers Grove. I am moving from Harrisburg, PA and she will be moving from Washington DC. We are both originally from suburbs of Detroit.

I have been doing as much research as possible, but without knowledge of the area it is a bit ( VERY! ) overwhelming. When I do visit for a 'hunting trip' I will be limited to a couple days because of my current job, so I want to focus my efforts with the limited time I will have. We will be looking for an apartment/townhouse/condo for rent, since I would not be comfortable purchasing with such limited knowledge of the area. I would strongly prefer to keep rent under $1600/month with 2 bedrooms.

We are 26-27 and looking first and foremost for a safe area to live. We would prefer (if not in the city) to be in a suburban area that has things to do (close shopping malls, Target stores, etc. We don't want to feel like we are in a rural area or in the middle of nowhere) A plus is walking distance to parks, restaurants, etc. which is why downtown Naperville was an option we are looking at (about 10 miles from where my job will be). The downtown area, riverwalk, etc. seemed to be a nice area. Is there a good amount of people walking around downtown Naperville, does it have a lively feeling?

My concern in living closer to the city (West loop or South loop seems to be the only feasible options, working in DG) would be my commute, which GoogleMaps puts at roughly 30 miles, and that's not considering traffic which I hear can be very tough.

Any and all help and/or suggestions would be great, thank you!!

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 08:03 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
Naperville is great for your needs. Not as sleepy as many suburbs, actually has nightlife. Warning, though. Traffic to Downers Grove can be slow. Knew someone who did it and said it could take an hour sometimes. Short in distance but long in time. From Chicago can be rough though some reverse commute trains ease the trip.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,993,259 times
I don't think you'll feel like you are in the middle of nowhere in most of the Chicago suburbs.

I personally could never handle the reverse commute by car from Chicago to Naperville, it would take a long time and be really bad if the weather isn't good. If you are very patient I then of course you could do it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

If I were in your shoes I would look for a place in downtown Naperville and/or in downtown Downers Grove. I think you will find that there is plenty to do and the city is there if you want to go downtown on the weekends. Of course, I am not nearly as hip as many people my age (I'm 31, married, no kids), so you should keep that in mind in reading my advice.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:51 PM

7 posts, read 30,754 times
Thanks for the info so far! The potential hour drive for 10 miles from Naperville to DG does worry me.....

Old 01-16-2013, 10:52 PM

223 posts, read 662,871 times
I would come visit and try out DG to Naperville.... Is the job on the east side of DG? While it can take longer than expected (I've not heard of it being an hour but it's longer than "just next door" -- as it's a couple towns over), I think it would be doable. It could make sense to be sure you're on the east side of Naperville, for instance. I agree with other posters that commuting from downtown would be miserable. Don't worry -- you have options in terms of where to live, be it Downers, Naperville, or somewhere thereabouts.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,818,404 times
If you really want to be downtown, downers grove has two metra stops and depending on how far you are from the train stations, walking or perhaps by bike is an option.
Otherwise staying right in dowers grove or neighboring lisle are good options as well, and your $$ will go alot further than it would in naperville.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:42 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,317,362 times
Like what has been said before DG has two Metra stops that go to union station but Naperville will be more convenient due to location.

mas23

Old 01-17-2013, 07:04 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,431,256 times
Default You have to realize...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dveeg View Post
Thanks for the info so far! The potential hour drive for 10 miles from Naperville to DG does worry me.....
..Naperville covers a rather LARGE area -- portions are in Will Co! Realistically if you find someplace in the northern half of Naperville or even the middle third and on the east side of Naperville the commute to Downers Grove's typical employment centers should be a BREEZE -- like under 20 minutes. If instead you fall in love with some place miles further south and past all the shopping along 59 a commute 3x that is not out of the question...

In addition to Naperville and Downers Grove there are spots like Lombard and Elmhurst that have easy access to jobs in DG too...

Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 PM

382 posts, read 825,488 times
I live near downtown Naperville close to the highway (I-88) and it takes me 15 minutes to get to Downers Grove in rush hour.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:44 PM

169 posts, read 550,917 times
Do you know where your girlfriend will be working?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs