Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 02:52 PM

10,122 posts, read 5,858,536 times

Advertisements

JITB may have left the Chicago area but they didn't leave the Midwest altogether. There are still a bunch in MO and a few on the IL side of the STL suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 04:25 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,529,520 times
Out of the Big 4 chains (McD's, BK, Wendy's, and JITB), I find that JITB relies on gimmicks to encourage return visits. I lean towards Wendy's because of the consistency in the menu.

In-N-Out finally arrived in Houston 2 years ago (after being in Texas, beginning in Dallas, for a decade). They built the third location a few months after the first 2 opened.

Have been craving for some cheese curds lately and there are few options here in Houston. A&W closed up around town, save one location. Freddy's is either overcooked like mozzarella or undercooked and hard (no squeak). Culver's is the best here, but all the locations are far from my neighborhood (across town in the north suburbs). Very hard to find the quintessential Midwestern delicacy in the South!

Old 07-18-2021, 05:41 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,562,018 times
I just arrived in San Diego and one of the first things I plan to do is get a JITB fix. Somehow I don't think it's going to taste like I remembered going in the drive thru at 2am!

Old 07-18-2021, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Out of the Big 4 chains (McD's, BK, Wendy's, and JITB), I find that JITB relies on gimmicks to encourage return visits. I lean towards Wendy's because of the consistency in the menu.
Is JITB really in the same company as the others? Those 3 are ubiquitous throughout the country -- north & south, east & west, urban & small-town & the suburbs in between, etc. I typically see several of the other three every day as long as I'm driving anywhere with minimally populated towns. In all of my travels I haven't seen a JITB in probably 3 years.

Old 07-18-2021, 09:14 PM

9,916 posts, read 9,704,290 times
Do like Ray Kroc did to McDonalds, have your own Jack in the Box style fast food place, but call it Jill in the Box, then try to replicate the delicious tacos.

In the meantime, does anyone know what taco places taste the most like Jack In the Box? there has to be something! maybe Taco Bell.

Old 07-18-2021, 11:23 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,454,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
JITB may have left the Chicago area but they didn't leave the Midwest altogether. There are still a bunch in MO and a few on the IL side of the STL suburbs.
They're still in Metro STL because JITB's parent company in the 60's-80's (Ralston Purina), was/is based in St Louis. That was the period when JITB expanded to parts of the Midwest and East Coast.

There are also a handful of JITB location's in Indianapolis.

Old 07-18-2021, 11:25 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,454,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Do like Ray Kroc did to McDonalds, have your own Jack in the Box style fast food place, but call it Jill in the Box, then try to replicate the delicious tacos.

In the meantime, does anyone know what taco places taste the most like Jack In the Box? there has to be something! maybe Taco Bell.
I have found that Burger King has very similar tacos to JITB, though they only offer them every now and again for a limited time.

Old 07-19-2021, 09:55 AM

9,916 posts, read 9,704,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
I have found that Burger King has very similar tacos to JITB, though they only offer them every now and again for a limited time.
I'll be on the look out then! That would be funny if i got one and i could remember the flavor. There was something unique about those tacos that made them delicious. Taco Bell is the only thing that resembles it but even so they were different. Guess i will survive though

Old 07-19-2021, 10:06 AM

4,732 posts, read 3,418,482 times
Burger King TACOS?!?.... Heresy, I tell you!!!

Actually I HAVE had them a couple of times when they were being served. I'll use the term, "mediocre at best" since that sounds polite.

I do not think I've ever had a Jack In The Box meal, in all my youthful life!!

This morning in the Madison, Wisconsin forum I joked with one of the contributors. They commented that Madison was more interesting than Waukesha, Wisconsin ( for those who don't know, it's the county directly west of Milwaukee, where I work)... And I commented back that I wanted them to retract their statement.... I mean, after all, Waukesha has a Taco John's!!!!!

So that got me thinking if there were any Taco John's in the Chicagoland area, because I've never seen one in my travels down!

Old 07-19-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
So that got me thinking if there were any Taco John's in the Chicagoland area, because I've never seen one in my travels down!
I've seen one in the south suburbs, around Bourbonnais or thereabouts. Otherwise, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs