Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 08:49 AM

2 posts, read 4,044 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

We (family of 3 and the little one is a newborn) are planning to relocate to chicago area from Tampa for work. My office and will be in skokie and I am looking into surrounding suburbs for an apartment. We are planning to rent a big 2 bedroom or a 3 bedroom apartment in either arlington heights/schaumburg area. I would appreciate your feedback on the approximate price range for this kind of apartments/townhouses.

Also please let me know if there are any other suburbs that we need to consider as well. We want to be between $1200-1500 for the rent if possible. Also looking for a safe neighborhood for the family!!

I hope to hear back from you all!

Sincerely,

Excited future chicago resident
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 07:13 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,935,420 times
Why not look in Skokie? Seriously, I never really understand this attitude of wanting to live in a *different* suburb from where your office is. I don't know about the rents though as we bought a house in Skokie.

We loved living in Skokie. It is diverse - on our street we had families of many different ethnicities - African American, Mexican, Russian, Chinese, Orthodox Jewish, Pakistani, Indian, etc. (and my dh and I - a Russian Jewish/Italian Catholic mix with Indian Hindu dil and grandchildren).

The schools vary, but there are many good ones. You would need to do research to figure out which district you wanted to be in once the kids are of school age.

Skokie park district has the best activities (try the Exploratorium -http://thelocaltourist.com/gallery/adam-k/skokie-exploratorium ) Skokie Park District

Skokie Library has been redone and is beautiful. Not only do they have a great book and dvd selection, but they have story hours and cultural programs as well. Skokie Public Library Home Page

Old 11-27-2012, 08:24 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,272,950 times
^^My initial thoughts were, why AH or Schaumburg?!?! The commute from either to Skokie is unnecessarily long 30-45+ minutes. Some of those who are new to the area do not realize how long commutes can be. Skokie is a good suggestion. I would also add Morton Grove, Wilmette and Glenview to the list of nearby suburbs that keep you within a 15-30 minute commute.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:32 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,780,510 times
I'm another who wonders why not consider Skokie or Evanston?

Old 12-12-2012, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 4,044 times
Default Thank you

Thank you all you guys who took some time to respond to the post and sorry for relying so late. As you may imagine that I am busy packing my stuff and getting ready to move. I did some research based on your suggestion and have added skokie,morton grove and other areas to my list. I was also able to get hold of a real estate agent and will be in skokie on 19th dec. Hopefully I will be able to find something in a day based on my previous research with an agent.

are you aware of any townhome communities in the area? I looked on different websites but have not been able to locate one. We have kind of zeroed down on getting a townhouse if possible for our needs.

Also what should I expect when renting in the area? Are there any pitfalls that I need to be careful about. Any tips/suggestions are highly appreciated.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:20 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,949,566 times
I agree with the other posters. I can not see going that far out when you have perfectly nice places closer to Skokie. You could live in Skokie itself or Evanston, Wilmette, Glenview, Morton Grove or even the far north side of Chicago

Old 12-13-2012, 10:33 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,935,420 times
Skokie Apartments for Rent | Skokie, IL Rentals - Apartments.com

Homes for Rent in Evanston, IL | Homes.com

Old 12-14-2012, 03:42 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,714,947 times
Skokie is a nice area and nice place to live. I have nothing against AH or Schaumburg just seems unnecessary.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:59 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,284,608 times
I worked in Skokie and liked it a lot. What I did not like was Golf Road. It was heavy. heavy, traffic all the time. There are a couple of reasons to live in Skokie. #1 it is a nice place to raise a family. #2 Good hospital. #3 You know nothing about Chicago traffic, distance or weather conditions -- twenty minutes in fair weather can be 120 minutes in foul weather. I got caught in a flood. It was over four hours to travel 15 miles.

A couple of years ago Chicago was paralyzed with one of its famous snows.. 24" I think was the average. Bring a shovel; you'll need it to dig your car out. Ideally. you find a place with covered parking or rent the neighor's empty garage -- if you are lucky. You really do not want to expose any infant's lungs to sub-zero cold.

Evanston is big college town. Arlington Heights is famous for its horse track. You don't have to worry too much about school for 12 years, by then you will know if you want to buy a house. IL real estate taxes are obnoxious. Income tax is a flat 5%. Grocery tax, will be somewhere between 1-4%. The rest of the state in 1%. You will need to register your vehicles poste haste, because you also need to buy parking permit in Skokie - and also if you live in another town. If you work in Chicago, it's another parking permit. If you don't have your permits in order, you may walk out to a boot lock. Secure parking in and around the loop can cost a ton. It is why the trains are popular. Skokie has a new station refered to as the "yellow line."

Here is the new Skokie Residents letter that explain parking, snow removal and penalties. Also if you only have one car, and you live in Skokie, it will be easier to drop you at work and wife can have car for the day.

Put Skokie #1 on your list.You might like Park Ridge it' not far away, but you will still need two parking permits. Chicago will be a be a bit of a culture shock with 10M people, but you will used to it. Skokie has nice resident services. Enjoy it.

Congrats on your first!

Been there, done that, and have the shirt to prove it.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:19 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,875,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoldummy View Post
Hello Everyone,

We (family of 3 and the little one is a newborn) are planning to relocate to chicago area from Tampa for work. My office and will be in skokie and I am looking into surrounding suburbs for an apartment. We are planning to rent a big 2 bedroom or a 3 bedroom apartment in either arlington heights/schaumburg area. I would appreciate your feedback on the approximate price range for this kind of apartments/townhouses.

Also please let me know if there are any other suburbs that we need to consider as well. We want to be between $1200-1500 for the rent if possible. Also looking for a safe neighborhood for the family!!

I hope to hear back from you all!

Sincerely,

Excited future chicago resident
For that amount you can live in Skokie, Evanston or Morton Grove and not have a commute from hell everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs