Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 03:05 PM

10 posts, read 37,622 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been looking for the last year for homes that are walking distance to a metra train and a cute downtown. My husband works in Naperville (right by the Rt.59 and I-88 exit) and I work downtown right by Union Station. We currently live in Aurora and I am taking the train on Rt. 59, but it would be amazing if I could just walk to the train stop and not have to drive and park.

We have been looking in Downer's Grove, Naperville, Glen Ellyn, and even as far as La Grange. We have a budget of up to $400k and we are considering fixer-uppers that are towards the lower end of our budget. We also have a small toddler and looking for decent sized homes and good school districts.

We've put in a bid on 5 houses, some with negotiations taking weeks at a time and have all been snatched up by cash buyers at the last minute (first of all, wtf! ) and some of these houses have been listed for over a year!! Anyways, I need to start looking at other towns since we've pretty much seen or bid on everything that's currently out there.

Any suggestions??? I thought Lombard, but pretty much anyone I've mentioned that too told me to stay away () HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 03:18 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
South of Arlington Heights downtown should have homes in your price range. Palatine is another consideration. Both offer good school districts with AH having the more vibrant downtown area although palatine's is alright.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:39 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default What can you share about your buyer's agent???

If you have put bids on five places and all five have been snatched by cash buyers I think that you may be in the unfortunate position of having an agent "play" you to get better offers from investors... I have heard this happen to a few folk over the years.

Now if this happened with different agents you have a whole other problem, probably that a) you don't have a buyer's agent to work for you b) you probably are not putting together the kind of offers that sellers will be happy with c) you need to have someone working for you fulltime, not just when there are already "dollar signs in their eyes"...

The towns you've listed are perfect for what you want to do. I'd add Elmhurst & Wheaton as well as Lisle and Westmont -- the first two are probably just as good for your desires as any others and though the second two towns are a step down in terms school results and maybe "charm" the discount is probably worth it. Heck, if have a GREAT real estate agent in your corner who is willing to work full time for YOU there is strong possibility that as the buying season closes and folks have to deal with uncertainity of weather AND POLITICS you could get a super deal on decent home in Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills or Western Springs for around $400K...

Old 08-30-2012, 06:29 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
South of Arlington Heights downtown should have homes in your price range. Palatine is another consideration. Both offer good school districts with AH having the more vibrant downtown area although palatine's is alright.
True, but the commute to Naperville would be a bear.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:01 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Is there a happy in-the-middle where the commute for both is easier?

Old 08-30-2012, 09:42 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,709,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipchikki View Post
My husband and I have been looking for the last year for homes that are walking distance to a metra train and a cute downtown. My husband works in Naperville (right by the Rt.59 and I-88 exit) and I work downtown right by Union Station. We currently live in Aurora and I am taking the train on Rt. 59, but it would be amazing if I could just walk to the train stop and not have to drive and park.

We have been looking in Downer's Grove, Naperville, Glen Ellyn, and even as far as La Grange. We have a budget of up to $400k and we are considering fixer-uppers that are towards the lower end of our budget. We also have a small toddler and looking for decent sized homes and good school districts.

We've put in a bid on 5 houses, some with negotiations taking weeks at a time and have all been snatched up by cash buyers at the last minute (first of all, wtf! ) and some of these houses have been listed for over a year!! Anyways, I need to start looking at other towns since we've pretty much seen or bid on everything that's currently out there.

Any suggestions??? I thought Lombard, but pretty much anyone I've mentioned that too told me to stay away () HELP!
If you are interested in a realtor feel free to contact me.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:22 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I don't know how, but I missed that. Thanks!

Old 08-31-2012, 08:03 AM

438 posts, read 1,699,335 times
La Grange or La Grange park is right between both Naperville and Union Station. I take the La Grange Metra sometimes to Union and it is only a 20 minute commute if you catch the express. And La Grange downtown is pretty nice and very family friendly.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:09 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,435,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Is there a happy in-the-middle where the commute for both is easier?
I think she's already looking in the right spots - towns along the BNSF line between Naperville and I-294. She could also look at towns along the UP-W line, which would give her Wheaton, Elmhurst, Villa Grove, etc. But again, don't go too far east or the commute to Naperville becomes onerous.

But that's a lot of towns and a lot of houses to keep track of... To cover all that ground, to know the neighborhoods within all of those towns, that's a lot of driving to look at homes.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:33 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default More reason for a dedicated buyer's agent...

Honestly I am too old to take this on myself but a dedicated full time buyer's agent in the town that is "top of list" would be able to perhaps to keep an eye open for homes that are a perfect fit before they even hit MLS. With all the filtering and alerts that MLS system can do in the hands of an agent that knows how to use the tools are able to really winnow down the possibilities to a manageable level. Assuming the OP is not overly picky (and that is afaik assumption given that have made five offers...) this ought to take maybe a few months. The buyer's agent is going to have to commit some serious time to the electronic part but if they do it will pay off for the OP and of course the agent is will be fairly compensated at the $400k price point. You can't expect the same dedication to some "bottom feeder" unless it is pipeline for LOTS of investor funded deals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I think she's already looking in the right spots - towns along the BNSF line between Naperville and I-294. She could also look at towns along the UP-W line, which would give her Wheaton, Elmhurst, Villa Grove, etc. But again, don't go too far east or the commute to Naperville becomes onerous.

But that's a lot of towns and a lot of houses to keep track of... To cover all that ground, to know the neighborhoods within all of those towns, that's a lot of driving to look at homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs