Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,300 times

Advertisements

we are moving to Skokie,IL from Maryland. . I need help finding which elementary school is the best . I also saw there are chartered schools in the area. Pls can anyone help me about how to get enroll my kids in the chartered school. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 11:31 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweta79 View Post
we are moving to Skokie,IL from Maryland. . I need help finding which elementary school is the best . I also saw there are chartered schools in the area. Pls can anyone help me about how to get enroll my kids in the chartered school. Thank you.
Skokie has reasonably good public schools despite some mediocre ratings and as far as I know thereare no charter schools in Skokie.

Here is a pdf map of the different districts in Skokie (odd to me, but there are 6 possible districts you can be in and still be in the village of Skokie).

http://www.egovlink.com/public_docum...istrictMap.pdf

Note that your child can attend any school in the district.

District 65 is Evanston Skokie and the grade schools are the Walker School (K-5) and the Bessie Rhodes Magnet School of Global Studies (6th, 7th and 8th grades). For the magnet schools, applications are made available in January for the following fall. Only students with completed registrations are eligible to apply. I don't know how someone moving into the district after the application process is done (which it is for 2012/2013) would be able to apply. Contact the district for more information if you are in that section of Skokie. If you live in the zoned area, I would assume that admission would simply go by your address. Walker rates as a 5, but the Magnet middle school rates as an 8 on greatschools.com

District 68 rates as a 6 or 7 depending on the school.

District 69 rates as a 5

District 73.5 rates an 8.

District 72 rates a 9

Here are schooldiggers ratings for the elementary schools. It lists Bessie Rhodes as PK through 8, but the district lists it as a 6 to 8 school.

Skokie Schools - Find a Public or Private School in Skokie, Illinois - SchoolDigger.com

Old 07-26-2012, 11:48 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I would not rely on the odd ratings of some advertising driven site when the raw data is available from the Illinois State Board of Education at a site hosted by Northern Illinois University. -- Illinois Interactive Report Card

Secondly, why are you moving to Skokie? It is a nice enough town but is surrounding a wide variety of towns, some of which are served by school that are have significantly better record of high performance.

You generally will be forced to enroll in the local school the serves the area you are moving to; Illinois is rather limited in the options that it provides for "school choice"...

Old 07-27-2012, 11:00 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Most Illinois public schools are on the state's watch list for non-performance IE: does not meet or exceed fed eral standards in some subjects. Some Junior High schools are on the watch list took. Religious and private schools are not listed.

Skokie is a Jewish enclave. with private Jewish schools. There are as many public schools. If your realtor does not know the school districts then you need a new realtor. Your income will determine where you live and the school district.

All monies collected from Illinois real estate taxes stay local to support schools and city services. If you live in an transient area with a high number of apartment and rental housing, you may find the school district does not perform as well as you expect. I talked to the school district. There is no charter or magnet school in Skokie.

However, there are two PK-K Montessori schools, plus one Catholic K-8 school,and one Lutheran K-8 school in Skokie.

Park Ridge is very near Skokie. Its Chicago Preparatory Charter School focuses on children with disabilities. Hillary Clinton attended Park Ridge schools. The vast majority of charter and magnet schools are found in the City of Chicago.

This from Skokie may help you understand its schools districts. Village of Skokie, Skokie Schools, Skokie, IL

Old 07-27-2012, 05:46 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I talked to the school district. There is no charter or magnet school in Skokie.

This from Skokie may help you understand its schools districts. Village of Skokie, Skokie Schools, Skokie, IL
Which of the 5 districts - district 68, district 69, district 72, district 73.5 or district 65? Part of Skokie is zoned for district 65 which is Evanston School District. The magnet middle school (6 to 8 grades) is in district 65. I lived in Evanston, my dil lived in Skokie, but attended Evanston schools because of where her parent's house was. She went to Timber Ridge Elementary school back in the day. It is now Walker school and it feeds into Bessie Rhodes.

Dr. Bessie Rhodes Magnet School of Global Studies

Old 07-28-2012, 12:28 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Excellent information on District 65: District 65 - great teachers, diverse student population, and high achievement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs