Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:04 AM

137 posts, read 549,475 times

Advertisements

The answer is NO to the commute from Northbrook to Naperville. You will live to regret it. You are in an IDEAL situation if you're working in Naperville. You won't even have to commute. Many want to live in Naperville but work elsewhere forcing the commute. When you get down to it, it's about quality of life. The less time spent commuting and more time with your family, translates to better the quality of life.

Yes, you can find housing in Naperville for a little over $400K. It certainly won't be new, and some of it may be in need upgrading, but depending on size, it does exist.

The schools here are OUTSTANDING! Just last month it was announced 7 students from Naperville North scored perfect on their ACT! WOW They're doing something right.

We have very good Jewish friends that are quite devout. I know we went to Lombard when we attended the twins Bat-Mitvah (which is considerably closer than some other communities mentioned). Our friends wouldn't consider raising their family anywhere BUT Naperville.

Your wife WILL be happy with the Naperville choice, especially with young kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 09:06 AM

5 posts, read 20,364 times
Default acdevane...thank you

I think we have decided Northbrook is out of the question. I would like to be in Naperville myself as it sounds like a great area to raise a family.

Just one last thing, is Arlington Heights/Buffalo Grove an option? It appears to be about 10 miles west of Northbrook and closer to Naperville. What type of commute would you say that would be.

The other neighborhoods I'd like to look at would be Elmhurst (probably out of my price range), Arlington Heights, Elk Grove Village (seems to be a happy medium in terms of location with access to Northern Suburbs and Naperville). Any thoughts on these neighborhoods would be much appreciated. I'd really like to narrow my search to 3-4 neighborhoods if possible.

Thanks.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,652 times
Default Not just Reconstructionist

Hello Bruce- My husband and I recently ( 3yrs) moved our family from downtown Chicago to Napeville for a house in your price range, great schools, short commute and a welcomming synagogue with a quality religious school and programming. I would highly recommend it. You will not find the quality of life of Napervile, in Elk Grove Village or Schaumburg. And, as a member of Congregation Beth Shalom in Naperville, I can tell you that our members represent a diverse group of practicing jews, many interfaith families and all are accepted in whatever style of practice "works" for them. As far has connecting with friends who live in the city, the express train is 30 minutes and that full service in 1 hour. Ther are 2 train stations serving the area.

Really, you need to seriousy consider Naperville!

Best of Luck

Old 11-19-2007, 05:04 PM

18 posts, read 87,402 times
Before I make a recommendation, I need to know whether you would able to get to work in Naperville on the Metra line. That is, is your work site within walking distance of the Metra station or close to a bus line that picks up at the station? If it is, there are some attractive options you may not have considered. If you have to drive to work, then the options might not make sense. However, with gas going to $5 a gallon very shortly, transportation is becoming a big issue.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:45 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,965 times
I would think ANY commute from the north, whether AH, Buffalo Grove, etc to the Napper area would be just horrid. I could not even imagine that drive, must less the cost of fuel weekly.

I'm glad to hear you are considering the Naperville area. From all i've heard, it's a great area for schools and family.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:20 PM

610 posts, read 2,728,688 times
I echo the comments about the commute - my neighbor does it and complains daily! I have Jewish friends who live in Wheaton and Glen Ellyn who attend in Lombard. I am not Jewish so I can not give any personal opinions but I know they are happy in Lombard. Although you will not find the stronger Jewish communities in the western suburbs I would think you could be very happy there and you will appreciate NOT making the commute. Good luck to you!

Old 11-19-2007, 06:48 PM

356 posts, read 542,220 times
Would any of these meet your religion objectives?
[SIZE=3]Congregation Beth Shalom[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1] - Home Page of Congregation Beth Shalom, Naperville, IL
772 W 5th Ave, Naperville - (630) 961-1818
Directions and more »

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Iskcon Temple of Grtr Chicago[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1] - maps.google.com
59 Salt River Ct, Naperville - (630) 753-9857
Directions and more »

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Congregation Etz Chaim[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1] - Congregation Etz Chaim
1710 S Highland Ave, Lombard - (630) 627-3912
Directions and more »[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs