Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 07:11 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,362,254 times

Advertisements

I might get a job in Naperville, but currently live on the north side of the city. I was contemplating moving to Naperville because it seems to be the best suburb for young professionals. I am 30 btw. Anyways, is it worth the drive from the city or would Naperville be alright?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 07:19 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,460,359 times
It really depends on what you value. If at 30 you still feel the need to spend nearly two hours in traffic after work so that you can drag yourself to some hipster filled nightspot in Wicker Park or frat hang-out in Lakeview than that is going to win out over having an sub-half hour commute to a nicer apartment in Naperville that might be walking distance from dozens of resturants and more laid back watering holes...

Old 07-11-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
It really depends on what you value. If at 30 you still feel the need to spend nearly two hours in traffic after work so that you can drag yourself to some hipster filled nightspot in Wicker Park or frat hang-out in Lakeview than that is going to win out over having an sub-half hour commute to a nicer apartment in Naperville that might be walking distance from dozens of resturants and more laid back watering holes...
The problem is that I need a decent social life because I'm single. Plus people in the city just have more going on. It doesnt have to be bars. It could be intramural sports, festivals, meeting in the evening for drinks outside, etc. I basically don't want to become a recluse who sits alone in my "bigger" apartment in Naperville all alone.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:18 PM

34 posts, read 114,728 times
The ease of commute should be the top priority. If you stay in the North Side and commute to Naperville, you're going to be too exhausted at the end of the day to do anything. I've done the 3-hour round trip commute before and, trust me, it's not worth it. You'll get home at 7:00 or later every night, be too tired to cook dinner, and basically have an hour or two to decompress in front of the TV before going to bed and doing it all over again in the morning.

Live as close to your job as possible. Your quality of life will be so much better. That, in turn, will give you time and energy to pursue social activities in the Naperville area. Plus, you can always go into the city on the weekends.

However, if you're already renting and have the flexibility to stay in your north side apartment for a few months after taking the Naperville job, then try out the commute and see if you can make it work. You could also use that time to explore the Naperville area to see if you can get comfortable with living there. Good luck!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieLannister View Post
The ease of commute should be the top priority. If you stay in the North Side and commute to Naperville, you're going to be too exhausted at the end of the day to do anything. I've done the 3-hour round trip commute before and, trust me, it's not worth it. You'll get home at 7:00 or later every night, be too tired to cook dinner, and basically have an hour or two to decompress in front of the TV before going to bed and doing it all over again in the morning.

Live as close to your job as possible. Your quality of life will be so much better. That, in turn, will give you time and energy to pursue social activities in the Naperville area. Plus, you can always go into the city on the weekends.

However, if you're already renting and have the flexibility to stay in your north side apartment for a few months after taking the Naperville job, then try out the commute and see if you can make it work. You could also use that time to explore the Naperville area to see if you can get comfortable with living there. Good luck!

Thanks! How long is the commute based on time? What if I start at 7:00 vs 8 or 9?

Old 07-12-2012, 06:16 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,460,359 times
To get to Naperville at 7AM you could probably leave Wrigleyvile no later than about 5:55 AM. It is just under 40 and if you can travel just above the posted limits on the expressways and tollroads and don't get stuck at too many stoplights on the surface streets your total trip avg mph ought to be just slightly about 35 mph. The evening commute will be worse, as traffic volumes are more constrained. Even assuming you have the flexibility to leave as early as 4PM the trip back to apartment almost certainly would take about 90 minutes. If you look at a Metra schedule any combination of CTA and Metra service for a reverse commute is going to take every bit of two hours -- no time savings. Wrigley Field, 1060 West Addison Street, Chicago, IL 60613 to Illinois 59 & Interstate 88, Naperville, IL 60563 - Google Maps

Starting at 8AM is not going to do you any good at all. You would probably need to be on the road by 6:45AM and leaving at 5PM for commute back home will almost certainly push your arrival back in Lakeview to 6:45PM. Solid twelve hours outside the home. Figure an hour in the morning to shower and dress, 8 hrs or so of sleep and that does not leave much time for socialization.

There really are lots of place for a 30 something person to socialize around Naperville. Large fitness centers are popular, as are the Forest Preserve and Praire Path trails / bikeways. The wide range of eating and drinking establishments are not a numerous or as jam packed as those on Lakeview but there are plenty of people patronizing them.

Honestly there are thousands of people that survive living outside of the city limits in their 30s...

Old 07-12-2012, 08:45 AM

70 posts, read 210,370 times
As a thirty something I'll give Naperville a thumbs up for young people to do. I originally lived in Wheaton when I moved to the area, but met my now husband in a downtown Naperville restaurant. We've always had plenty to do. We've played league softball, gone to festivals/concerts, enjoyed the parks and river walk.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:47 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,444,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
The problem is that I need a decent social life because I'm single. Plus people in the city just have more going on. It doesnt have to be bars. It could be intramural sports, festivals, meeting in the evening for drinks outside, etc. I basically don't want to become a recluse who sits alone in my "bigger" apartment in Naperville all alone.
If this is the way you feel about the suburbs, then don't accept the job in Naperville. Why settle for a situation that doesn't work for you?

I spent many years working in Lisle/Naperville/Bolingbrook, and knew many people that lived in the city and commuted out, but NONE(*) of those people lived on the northside. They either lived south, or south loop, or west loop, or Austin/Oak Park. All places that are convenient to a highway. The Northside is the worst place to live if your destination is West/SW Suburbs.

(*) I did know one person who lived in Rogers Park, and used Touhy over to 294 every day...

Old 07-12-2012, 01:04 PM

382 posts, read 825,833 times
We routinely spend days in the city and we live in Naperville, but we spend the ENTIRE day, not just commute in for the nightlife. Traffic gets pretty bad going to the Northside in the evening weekends. Without traffic, it takes about 40 minutes for us to get to the loop. With traffic it's about 1 hour. That's only because we are 5 minutes from I-88 though.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChacoGirl View Post
As a thirty something I'll give Naperville a thumbs up for young people to do. I originally lived in Wheaton when I moved to the area, but met my now husband in a downtown Naperville restaurant. We've always had plenty to do. We've played league softball, gone to festivals/concerts, enjoyed the parks and river walk.
"Young people to do", awesome! LOL. I just don't know anyone in the suburbs. Thats my main concern really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs