Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 06:56 AM

81 posts, read 288,194 times

Advertisements

Looking for a day trip to Lake Michigan. Our neighbors (in Lisle) are suggesting Warren Dunes or St. Joseph in Michigan. Seems a long way. Are there beaches in Wisconsin or N. Illinois that can be recommended or do most people head south/east?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 07:12 AM

76 posts, read 150,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldoubled View Post
Looking for a day trip to Lake Michigan. Our neighbors (in Lisle) are suggesting Warren Dunes or St. Joseph in Michigan. Seems a long way. Are there beaches in Wisconsin or N. Illinois that can be recommended or do most people head south/east?
What are you going to do at the beach? There is Illinois Beach State Park on the Wisconsin border if you want something closer, but I've never been there, so I can't personally recommend it. There is also Indiana State Dunes, which is a little bit closer to Chicago than Warren Dunes. It has hiking trails and decent beach area, although you might have to hike half a mile from the main beach to get away from the crowds if you do not like them.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:58 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
Yeah, I was just at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore last weekend. We got there around noon and the crowd was just about right. Lots of families having fun, the beach was nice, and the hiking trails were connected right to the beach. We could see Chicago in teh distance at the other side of the lake, the kids went crazy when they realized it. It was $6 per car to get in, so pretty cheap. When we were leaving around 5 the crowd was starting to turn over...it seemed the young families were leaving and the crowd was looking a little rougher around the edges and a little more adult. Getting in you exit in an area that isn't nice: strip joint, fireworks, adult toy store and a strip mall that is collapsing on itself, but you pass that and the park itself is nice. Even with that, we had a really good time, but we may try the next beach east next time.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:29 AM

376 posts, read 489,424 times
Union Pier in Michigan is closer than St. Joe's. Or you could always go berry picking at one of the farms in SW Michigan.. sweet cherries and rasberries are in season. The Round Barn brewery in Baroda is a nice place to spread out a blanket, listen to live music, fill up a jug of beer, and get a hamburger on Summer weekend afternoons.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:23 AM

81 posts, read 288,194 times
The beer and berries sound lovely but I think we're just looking for a day lazing on the beach.

Is there a reason people don't go north towards or even into Wisconsin for Lake Michigan beaches? Are the beaches not as nice on this side of the Lake? I remember that on Lake Huron, the Canadian side had sandier beaches, is the same true here?

Old 06-22-2012, 09:54 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
I am not strictly a beach person, but of the places you might consider for another trip is Door County, the WI thumb. It is a small peninsula with tons of history and things to do.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:06 AM

76 posts, read 150,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I am not strictly a beach person, but of the places you might consider for another trip is Door County, the WI thumb. It is a small peninsula with tons of history and things to do.
Well, the OP said day trip, if Warren Dunes seems too far for him, Door County definitely would, that's a 6 hour drive.

However, Door County is on my to go to list, any places that's nice? Any suggestions for camping? Kayak rentals? Places to visit?

Old 06-22-2012, 10:28 AM

376 posts, read 489,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzJackRabbit View Post
Well, the OP said day trip, if Warren Dunes seems too far for him, Door County definitely would, that's a 6 hour drive.

However, Door County is on my to go to list, any places that's nice? Any suggestions for camping? Kayak rentals? Places to visit?
Agreed the Door County is more of a long weekend trip.

The Europe Bay area of the Newport State park is a very nice beach, up by Ellison bay. I've always had good experiences with Bay Shore Outfitters, just west of Ellison bay : Bay Shore Outfitters - index .

For the OP, for quick beach trips I'd go with the Indiana Dunes or Union Pier, MI. Going a tad further, Warren Dunes park. I don't know much about beaches to the north until you get to Door County, but it seems that thre is not much until then (ie the beach is right up on the highway and nothing special.. I could be wrong, though).

Old 06-22-2012, 10:30 AM

157 posts, read 403,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Yeah, I was just at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore last weekend. We got there around noon and the crowd was just about right. Lots of families having fun, the beach was nice, and the hiking trails were connected right to the beach. We could see Chicago in teh distance at the other side of the lake, the kids went crazy when they realized it. It was $6 per car to get in, so pretty cheap. When we were leaving around 5 the crowd was starting to turn over...it seemed the young families were leaving and the crowd was looking a little rougher around the edges and a little more adult. Getting in you exit in an area that isn't nice: strip joint, fireworks, adult toy store and a strip mall that is collapsing on itself, but you pass that and the park itself is nice. Even with that, we had a really good time, but we may try the next beach east next time.
Sounds like you were at West Beach in Portage. I personally prefer the Indiana Dunes State Park in Chesterton (1600 North 25 E. Chesterton, IN). It's only a little farther of a drive down I-94 but once you get off of the expressway it's a much more scenic drive and a quieter area. The beach front and park area itself is much larger than West Beach as well.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:42 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldoubled View Post
Good grief, why not just head to the Chicago beaches. They are clean and nice though they are crowded. Any of the near north side beaches are only 45 minutes away. Buckingham fountain is about 40 minutes away and you can access the beach from there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs